What the heck is wrong with GP4 and my Comp !?

Posted by MViper 
What the heck is wrong with GP4 and my Comp !?
Date: October 10, 2002 01:03AM
Posted by: MViper
Hey guys!

I have this strange problem..:

System: Abit KT7A, XP1700+, 512 SDram Kingmax, 40GB 7200 Ata 133 Maxtor, 60GB 7200 Ata 133 Maxtor, Hercules GeForce III Titanium 500, DX8.1, Detonator 40.71, Dual system W98SE, WXP

The problem is..

Everything was working brilliantly, with a bit lower details, at 1024x768 i had around 39 frames [in the advanced graphic options]. So a couple of days ago i bought myself a fast ADSL internet connexion than i installed couple of sharing programmes [edonkey, kazaa, imesh, direct connect and than zone alarm, no-ip, popup killer] and GP4 is suddenly so freaking slow with same details like before.. i hardly have more than 22 fps and when i'm driving a race distance in malaysia - sepang the game is so slow that it's even slow-motion faster than this crap. I don't know what is wrong, i installed D4 40.71 and it's the same.. i installed new DX8.1 - same.. Even in 3Dmark2001Se i had around 65xx result in 98 i had same result [with 26.xx] couple of weeks ago. And i remember when i tried same test in XP it was quite faster.. now it's slower.. what the hell is wrong??

Thanx guys!

"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Re: What the heck is wrong with GP4 and my Comp !?
Date: October 10, 2002 01:35AM
Posted by: Vader
Open task manager (hit crtl, shft + del) to see what programs are running in the back. If kazaa and the whole bunch (plus spyware that you cannot see) automatically starts when windows boots, it takes away RAM - LOTSA Ram.

- Disable the autostart functioons in ALL file sharing proggies.
- Go to "start -> run" and type "msconfig". Go to the autostart tab and disable all startup entries you are sure you don't need to run ewhen windows boots
- go through win.ini and system ini. and look for commands like "load=". Older progs do make their entries here instead of registry.
- if you know what you are doing, scan the regitry for entris like "Run" "RunOnce", etc.

Make backups before you change system settings.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 10, 2002 02:28AM
Hey!

Tnx for the answer!

It's funny tho what's happening with my computer..

I've done what you've recommended.. although there weren't any shitloads like spyware or something i have around 335MB free memory? Is that normal?
Than i disabled couple of options like quick netscape lunch, firewalls, no-ip proggies and stuff like that.. you won't believe it.. it's even worse.. before that disabling i went to sound options and put that hardware acceleration to low, so the game was there at 29 fps.. then i change to mid mixing acceleration, the game was around 26 fps.. [low mixing sux, the sound is slowish to rpm meter] and than after disabling all the options the game runs at 22 fps, than i tried couple of times calibration and now is at 25 fps..

There's gotta be something weird.. i know it's some stupid catch in some proggies but i don't know what yet..

any idea?

Date: October 10, 2002 02:36AM
Posted by: Lilletto
Also give Adaware a try. Sharing progs love to do things behind your back...

Date: October 10, 2002 02:44AM
what is adaware??

newsflash: i uninstalled some proggies at add/remove and it's worse again it's 21 fps !$))! ? in the second try it jumps to 25 with "full detail" in main view.. some proggies must run, but i can't see 'em in task manager.. or they have a stupid name..

Date: October 10, 2002 02:54AM
Posted by: Vader
Adware is a program that detects all spyware installed on your computer. Whenever you install kazaa or its likes, you get a shipfull of other thingys installed without even knowing it. In 99,9% this is no real security problem (it would be iilegal if it was) but it is a) annyoing and b) eats ressources. Adware detects these hidden processes and lets you delete them all. Itis worh a try. When I first tried it, it found over suspicious 300 files.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 10, 2002 03:11AM
Posted by: Ellis
Kazaa and I-mesh come with lots and lots of spyware

download kazaa lite version to have a version without spyware. Im not sure if the site is fixed yet - but try here

[www.kazaalite.com]

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: October 10, 2002 03:54AM
okay guys, i'll download adware.. is it free? and 1 more thing.. does the proggie remove junk once and for all or i'll have to do it everytime i start wins?

thank you very much for the help!

Date: October 10, 2002 04:00AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yeah, its free

Do it once a week, or just regualr times to check in anything been installed.

I do it once a week and it usuall finds one or two components

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: October 10, 2002 04:34AM
Hey guys

i installed ad aware.. it removed around 30 spyware proggies.. fine.. the windows starts absolutely faster, that loading at the beginning [when you almost see icons] is now very fast... but the game still doesn't have more than 23-24 fps.. are 40.41 drivers [yes, they're 40.41 not 40.71] too new or .... ?

tnx!

Date: October 10, 2002 04:37AM
Posted by: Lilletto
Try 30.82 or 40.72.
40.41 was nothing more than a nice try :)

Date: October 10, 2002 04:44AM
Posted by: mortal
Are the drivers whql certified? not that it really matters all that much but you never know, if the only thing you haven't tried is earlier drivers I would do so. Are these the same drivers before the adsl connection was added? Dual boot system noted, are these results from xp or 98? Just curious ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 10, 2002 04:50AM
they're not whql ceritified as far as i know :] i DL'em from official nvidia site..:)

Yes, the drivers were the same.. i don't know which really to be honest, but i think they were 29.80 .. then i reinstalled graphic card with 40.41 and it did not help, it was even worse.. of course i'm messing around with this crap in XP, in 98 i have no problems.. the games run slower and their loading time is longer .. but hell.. games SHOULD work in XP. They were working.. now it's something f... up..

Date: October 10, 2002 07:05AM
Posted by: mczepp
Did you you install any new hardware for your adsl connection?? Maybe here is a hardware conflict
Date: October 10, 2002 09:29AM
Posted by: Larry
Did you install a card in the PCI slot right beside your AGP slot. That might cause it to share an IRQ with the graphics card which you should avoid. Check your IRQ's anyway.

Date: October 10, 2002 10:31AM
Posted by: renyf1
I have the same problem as I'm very earger to find a fix myself. I was @ 40fps and when I recently played I only got 25 fps!

I had Kazaalite on with no problem.....thinking it might be the kazaalite 2.0 thats making it slow i don't know

man i miss the smoothness of 40fps!

Ren

XP 2000
512 Pc2700 mem
geforce ti4200 128MB
via 333 chipset (asus av7333)
Date: October 10, 2002 11:17PM
Posted by: ferrariace
This is a funny game,I'm lucky to get 14 fps.I got 14fps with my voodoo 3/2000 then I bought a Radeon 7500 ddr and with medium settings I get 8fps.After playing with the graphics file I can get it up to 13-14.God I hope the patch helps
Duron 1.2 320 mb sdram Xelo Radeon 7500 ddr.
Date: October 11, 2002 01:59AM
Hey guys..

Newsflash: i tried medal of honor, quake3 and both of the games had more than 90 fps.. so it's gotta be something with GP4 i hope.. i'll reinstall it right now, and we'll see the effect.. i don't know what else could be wrong, i erased all the spyware, i disabled most of the startup proggies and i still don't get more than 26 fps, don't forget with medium sound settings.. also the processor occupancy is oscilating from 80-250% which is not very normal. I had this kind of problem in 98SE with GP3.. but when i installed original Hercules drivers and than 2x.xx through it helped and the game ran well..

Larry: hm.. it could be irq's but game RAN good now it's bad with none of the changes made..

alan: no it's not ADSL software, because XP doesn't need any of ther software, because u just creat dialup icon and that's it..

Date: October 11, 2002 02:22AM
There is something new..

i tried medal of honor and quake 3 and both game runs at more than 90 fps.. so it's got to be something with GP4.. i will reinstall it now, and we'll see the effect..

larry, alan: the game RAN good, now it's something wrong with it and i don't know what.. i haven't installed any ADSL software, coz u don't need it, u just need dialup icon and that's it.. :\

Date: October 11, 2002 08:07AM
Posted by: Larry
Have you made sure that anti-aliasing is OFF?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy