Water leak?

Posted by dave 
Water leak?
Date: October 02, 2002 06:55AM
Posted by: dave
What water are F1 cars carrying around that leaks and causes me to stop?

Re: Water leak?
Date: October 02, 2002 07:13AM
Posted by: Vader
Err .. cooling water/fluids I suppose?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 08:57AM
Posted by: Xero
Hydralics aswell! They're used for brakes... and gears?!? Dunno! All I know is they're vital!!

Date: October 02, 2002 09:31AM
Don't they use special oil for the hydraulics?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 09:32AM
Posted by: Boomy
There is no simply water on F1.

Boomey
Date: October 02, 2002 09:38AM
Posted by: Larry
Only Gatorade.

Date: October 02, 2002 09:40AM
Of course no simple water, they only use "Perrier" for their cars.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 09:40AM
Red Bull

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 10:40AM
Posted by: Ellis
It might not be water, but it would come under the term water for F1 - like when Mikas car was leaking it out the side in Hockenhiem one year? Comentators simply called it water -easier thansaying " collent fulid" everytime

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: October 02, 2002 12:32PM
Posted by: Glyn
Yeah.... its a bike like piss.... some people call it water :)

Date: October 02, 2002 06:22PM
I could understand if they were referring to coolant as water but I thought that F1 cars were air cooled and thus have no coolant. One of the failures you can have is an oil leak. Surely they don

Date: October 02, 2002 06:40PM
They have cooling fluids, simply refered to as "water".

Wait a minute, while I am typing I just found an interesting site. #

[www.f1.com.my]

There it says:

Heat-Transfer

Heat from combustion in the engine is transferred to cooling fluids, which are constantly pumped around the car. These fluids then flow to the radiators where the heat is removed by airflow, before returning to the engine to do the job all over again. The amount of cooling is affected both by the area of the radiators and the amount of air flowing over them. The aim of the radiators is to obtain the most efficient cooling possible. To maximise the cooling effect, the front of the radiator consists of a concentration of tiny air fins and liquid tubes, which increases the surface area used for cooling to much more than the frontal area seen by the airflow.

[/b]Cooling systems[/b]

Cars have two fluids that require cooling oil, water and have a radiator set-up for each. But as most race teams use radiators from their engine suppliers, there is little they can do about their design. And, with the cooling fluids pumped through at a rate specified by the engine company, all the teams can do here is concentrate on obtaining the best airflow through to the radiator which is achievable through duct design. The best position for a duct is in the side pods either side of the engine, which is where the radiators are positioned. Because Formula 1 cars rely on the airflow caused by their own motion for cooling, they do not have cooling fans When the car is not moving, however, the teams use small fans attached to bags of dry ice which are fitted to the front of the side pods. These fans can often be seen in action on the starting grid in order to maintain the optimum working temperature of the engine while the car is stationary.

In travelling through the duct, the air will pass through five areas. The first is the inlet, which is designed to allow just the right amount of air to enter the duct. They have to be side mounted due to the positioning of the radiators, and with a low centre of gravity required, the lower to the floor these heavy items are, the better the car will handle.

The air which has entered the duct is then expanded in a 'diffuser' which increases in cross sectional area, and is steered in the direction of the radiator. A splitter is used in this section to bleed off the energy flow that develops on the car body ahead of the inlet (the boundary layer) and grows as the air travels along the surface. The diffuser must also be designed so that very little boundary layer develops inside, as this will reduce the cooling potential at the edges of the radiator. Once the high energy flow reaches the radiator, the airflow undergoes the heat exchange, after which it is accelerated in a 'nozzle' which increases in area before returning the air to the airstream at the duct exit.

The positioning and size of the duct exit determines how much cooling air gets through the side pods, and many teams have 'sideouts' of adjustable size. Once again, the type of track determines how big these need to be, as a circuit with slower average speeds such as Monaco will not get as much cooling air accelerated into the side pods as a high speed circuit like Monza.

Internal aerodynamics is one of the most important and overlooked aspects of racing car design. If the team doesn't put its engine in as kind an environment as possible, its chances of lasting the race are much reduced.

They offer lots of other technical data that is very interesting.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 06:46PM
"Information Man" strikes again!

Thanks for that.

Date: October 02, 2002 06:50PM
The main page is [www.f1.com.my]

Man, this site is a must-read. It even has bi-directional com, so it must be fairly new data they provide. Here's the table of contents:

Schematics of an F1 Car.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 06:53PM
Silly me. The main page is of course [www.f1.com]

No wonder ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 02, 2002 06:55PM
No it is not. It is [www.f1.com.my]

(Godammit, information man is getting old. Anyway, if it helps to raise the number of posts ...)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 03, 2002 07:08AM
Posted by: Larry
Another good technical site is:
[www.technicalf1.com]

Date: October 03, 2002 09:18AM
Posted by: JC
The only thing I can think of is the radiators lol........ F1 cars have both oil and water radiators (for cooling purposes), so if the water cooled radiotrs leaked then I guess the engine would overheat and blow............

The engine and exhaust manifold can create water vapours from condentsation because of the intense heat.........

Date: October 03, 2002 09:57AM
Posted by: Zcott
Your sig pic isn't working, JC...I don't think Geocities supports direct linking.
Date: October 03, 2002 12:27PM
Posted by: Glyn
Thanks for the site Vader... ill check it out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy