Upgraded to Win7. LAN problem

Posted by philatio 
Upgraded to Win7. LAN problem
Date: November 08, 2009 07:24PM
Posted by: philatio
Just upgraded out 2 PCs to Windows 7. GP4 is running fine on single player.

However.. on multiplayer when connected by LAN, the game runs slow on both. As if you're in slow motion.
When one player quits out.. the other players game returns to normal speed.

Checked firewalls OK.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? The LAN play was running fine in XP
Re: Upgraded to Win7. LAN problem
Date: November 09, 2009 09:56AM
Posted by: Willb
Network play has been the most temperamental thing in the universe since Ford Prefect. Try updating your drivers if newer ones are available on Windows Update. Also I found that I had to use a switch which didn't have access to the internet to get GP4 working properly on the LAN. As soon as the switch was connected to the net it would go in slow motion, take the switch and thus both pcs offline and it was fine. It's very odd but that's what I had to do.

Another thing to check, ensure that your connection is running at full speed, e.g. If you have A gigabit switch / router and gigabit enabled machines ensure that they are running at Gigabit instead of 10/100.

I also found that lowering the Particle Time Slices per second resulted in much improved network performance (at the cost of some network cars appearing to slide a bit as their locations were updated from the other pc in the game. While this looks a bit silly sometimes I found it perfectly acceptable for a good game of GP4 as long as you give the AI a slightly wider birth than usual when overtaking ;)

Good luck!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy