Why worry for the patch?

Posted by Lilletto 
Why worry for the patch?
Date: September 23, 2002 04:06PM
Posted by: Lilletto
Seems really weird to me than many of us still doubt that there will be a new patch or at least one that will fix the biggest bugs of the game.
What follows was posted by me right after they asked for questions to submit to Geoff Crammond.
It still holds true, even more now since they officially announced the patch like I was guessing.
BTW they started again to advertise the game here in Italy. There is a full page in the last issue of F1racing monthly (Italian edition).
Funny enough on that page there is a screenshot showing gap between drivers just like the game was running with GPxSAT activated!

So they made Microprose people pay for all the mistakes, of course, then turned to Elecrtic Artists for the "facelift".
Clearly they adviced IG to "communicate" with the community, hence the "interview" with Crammond, and it is very likely that they also told Infogrames to restart the whole thing somehow from scratch.
This should be why they deleted the old patch from official sites on the net.
One thing is clear: now we know they are still spending money on GP4, what is the use of this money if the game stays defective as it is now?
No one.
If this financial effort must be productive they need to fix the game as soon as possible.
And I bet that the core of Crammond interview will be about patches and problems of GP4, not the GPS or safety car stuff.
If they are smart enough they should announce a new patch soon (or let the news leak somehow, or let GC make the announcement).
Without any plan to fix GP4 the whole story now just doesn't make any sense.

Re: Why worry for the patch?
Date: September 24, 2002 05:47AM
Posted by: Boomy
Because they have danced on our ass since yesterday.

These kind of parties on my ass must finish,once for all.

Boomer
Date: September 24, 2002 06:46AM
Posted by: mortal
"danced on our ass" ????wtf.....oh, it's Boomy.....
Good point Paolo, also interesting is in the Australian October (03) issue of PCGames is the following statement, we hope to be able to bring you a playable demo of GP4 , link to grandprix4.com included in the article. Game recommended but it's in the mag's top ten. Hope the demo plays better than the game does. lol. Maybe the screenshot is GP3 with gpx patch running ;-) wouldn't put it past them, as for a patch, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Date: September 24, 2002 06:57AM
No it's GP4! Verstappen in 8th - some 13 secs - Coulthard in 9th LOL
Maybe at some point in developing they had that in mind, then was aborted who knows?
BTW I reposted this stuff to try to keep Boomy quiet.....was I successful? :D

Date: September 24, 2002 07:33AM
Who will be in charge to interview Mr. Geoff?

Boomy
Date: September 24, 2002 08:27AM
Posted by: Ellis
""danced on our ass" ????wtf.....oh, it's Boomy....."

LOL Mortal :D

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: September 24, 2002 09:30AM
Who will be in charge to interview Mr. Geoff?

Your lawyer I presume :)

Date: September 24, 2002 09:37AM
:):):))

I can deploy a flotilla of lawyers,the only issue is that I must win, otherwise such a flotilla will sue me cause parcels missed payment :)

Boomy
Date: September 26, 2002 12:30PM
Posted by: jimmy10077
Paolo,

I bought the game when it was released in the UK (I am currently living in Canada) and now I wonder whether Infogrames used the extra time to try and sort out some of the bugs before the North American release. Its now on sale here and is in all the main shops top 10. Hopefully a 'firestorm' might be started from here that might inspire Infogrames to actually think of their reputation and the game rather than just the money.

Formula 1 Magazine have just run a review of the game - the mention that it crashed a few times before it was successfully loaded but not all the other bugs - strange since we all have been writing and highlighting that this game needs months more development time before release - how big are Infogrames pockets!!!!!

The whole setup has seemed rather strange from the start. Fantastic game, released before its time - no reliable patch to make it work and an unfinished website. Lets hope the rest of us do business better, eh?
Date: September 28, 2002 03:48AM
Posted by: gnoppi
"how big are Infogrames pockets!!!!!"

Guys, never trust mags reviews. Never.

A friend of mine who has written on Italian videogames magazines for years has told me that "big titles" came to him with a "positive review recommendation letter". i.e. - review this game at least as "good" or you'll forget interviews, news, previews, etc etc.

Sad, but true (and the same happens in music biz - yeah, another friend of mine).

A solution for GP4's bugs?
Destroy, erase, improve.
Date: September 28, 2002 12:50PM
Yes, stuff like this happens all the time

The charts for games that Virgin and HMV show dont resemble anything like there sales - its who pays the most money.

Also, ever phoned Radio1 to 'request' a song? They tell you wot to request...great eh

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: September 28, 2002 01:26PM
Posted by: Glyn
Also, ever phoned Radio1 to 'request' a song? They tell you wot to request...great eh

That is quite understandable though... could you imagine if they had to play ALL requests? Some idiot would twig and request some cheesy song or something.

Date: September 28, 2002 01:29PM
Yes, but u should not call it a request hour or whatever it is now, when u are forced to request one song. If u request another, they cut u off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy