strange mouse behaviour

Posted by marqugp3 
strange mouse behaviour
Date: September 14, 2002 05:43PM
Posted by: marqugp3
Hi all,

I wondered if anybody suffers the following problem after updating GP4 with the recently released official GP4 bugfix patch.
Since the update I can't select the links within the games with the mouse.
All links flicker all the time and when clicking on a link you never know in advance which menu you will be sent to.
Caused by this behaviour I recently did not succeed in just simply saving a hot lap, it was simply impossible.

I am running GP4 on WindowsXP Home Edition, AMD Athlon1700XP processor, onboard NVIDIA n-force graphic card, just installed the latest graphics drivers yesterday. So I assume this problem is not caused by the graphics drivers but by the updated GP4 itself ???

Regards,
Markus
Re: strange mouse behaviour
Date: September 14, 2002 05:52PM
Posted by: mortal
Flicker can be caused by in game resolution being different to desktop resolution, check that desktop res is the same as the selected game res. Are you using an edited f1graphics.cfg file? If so can you post your f1config.cfg file to the "crashes to desktop" thread as you are using xp ;-) Also as you have installed the patch AND changed graphics drivers you have two possible causes of flicker, not counting desktop res ok. If your desktop res proves to be ok then it must be the drivers or the patch. The patch has been proven to be pretty useless anyway and it makes the no_cd exe pretty useless, if your gp4 ran well you probably should not have installed the patch. Try a new install without the patch, if this fails revert to your ea4rlier detonator drivers. My bet is the patch. ;-)
Date: September 14, 2002 06:12PM
Hi mortalwombat,

I just found out that the flickering is caused by the plugged in USB Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel.
When I start the game without the wheel being connected to the USB socket then there is no flickering.

By the way, I installed the latest graphic drivers after installing the patch, hoping that the driver would solve the flickering problem, but it did not.
Date: September 14, 2002 06:37PM
Posted by: dave
Turn off "Show Tooltips" in the Utilities menu in Workshop.

Date: September 15, 2002 04:10AM
Posted by: mortal
that's interesting, I wonder if that's in the buglist, must have a look ;-)
Date: September 15, 2002 04:23AM
Thank you dave, that worked !!!
Date: September 15, 2002 07:17AM
Posted by: ramoats
Actually turning off the tool tips reduces it about 80%. Running Enditall before game play leaving explorer/systray and swtrayv4 which is the sidewinder software(which unloads point 32) completely eliminates the behavior all together. I believe now more than ever Enditall provides smoother more reliable gameplay accross the board.

RA Moats
Date: September 15, 2002 04:04PM
Thank's RAMoats, running Enditall before playing improved performance significantly. No more flickering of the menues even with tool tips activated and no more screen dropouts which I had before frequently.

Great advice!!!! :)
Date: September 15, 2002 04:31PM
Dont thank me, thank whoever it was (sorry I cant remember) from the Forum that told me!

Date: September 16, 2002 12:52PM
"Dont thank me, thank whoever it was (sorry I cant remember)..."

But you told me, so I am thanking you, for if "you" don't know where it came from, how should I know as I am not frequently posting here (as you certainly know I assume) ???
Date: September 16, 2002 12:52PM
"Dont thank me, thank whoever it was (sorry I cant remember)..."

But you told me, so I am thanking you, for if "you" don't know where it came from, how should I know as I am not frequently posting here (as you certainly know I assume) ???
Date: September 16, 2002 01:51PM
Actually that was my thread too, so you should both thank me, Heh, heh, heh.........
[www.grandprix3.com]

It's that folks don't know me around here..

RA Moats
Date: September 16, 2002 03:18PM
I did thank you RAMoats, haven't you read my response to your first post in this thread?

Since I am using Enditall before playing I experienced no more crashes under WinXP.

So, I expressively thank you all who have participated in this thread with their suggestions and advice (in case I forgot to do it "individually";)

P.S.: Sorry for the empty post, the server refused to accept one of my previous posts at first attempt.
Date: September 16, 2002 05:07PM
I know, I know....I'm just kidding with ya mostly, but I'm glad Enditall is working out for you....be quick!!!

RA Moats
Date: September 17, 2002 04:26AM
Posted by: Arbiter
I'm sure this was due to a non calibrated wheel, and menu control was routed to game controller. .... Well allmost sure anyway... At least I believe it... I mean.. could'nt this be the case???
Date: September 17, 2002 04:31AM
So it was you was it Moatsy!!! Thank you.

Actually I was only kidding around too. I was just pointing out that that it wasn't my solution

Date: September 17, 2002 10:06AM
Actually I took note on my rig that the mouse behavior didn't begin untill after I calibrated my wheel.....in any case, at least there's a work around....

Moatsy...sheez I haven't heard that since high school...

RA Moats
Date: September 17, 2002 10:12AM
One question referring to Enditall. I experienced whenever I use it before playing GP4 I can't shut down my PC normally afterwards. I always have to use the power switch at the back side of my PC as the normal shut down procedure shows no reaction at all.
Is this normal or is there any application that should not be closed or killed by Enditall in order to avoid that?
Date: September 18, 2002 07:20AM
I've had that happen only occasionally, the only thing I leave running in EnditAll is Explorer, systray and my Sidewinder hardware. I do have a 900 mb permanant swap file, and pchealth and system restore are disable on my Win ME system. Try and isolate which program your ending that might be causing it then see if you can change a setting in it's properties...Norton did that to me and I had to disable full time scanning...also use the older version of EnditAll if you can find it...I tried it and it caused strange behavior on shutdown, I think it was to aggressive....I'm using 1.00.13.

RA Moats
Date: September 18, 2002 12:05PM
I have got Enditall Version 2.0.0.0
Think I now found out a configuration that avoids the "not shutting down scenario". However I could not figure out which application may have caused this. For when I experimented with Enditall the computer always shut down smoothly, except when I had killed some remote process which caused the system to shut down by itself (no crash, just a message that the PC had to be restarted with a countdown for the restart to begin).

Thank's for your continual help, RAMoats
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy