crashing to desktop

Posted by mortal 
crashing to desktop
Date: September 14, 2002 02:52AM
Posted by: mortal
A well documented and much discussed problem for some users here in this forum and in other forums as well, mainly those with win me and xp, some occurence in win98. See the buglist posted by Morbid, this is defined as a bug in the list. Note also that this issue has not been resolved in the patch released by IG and due to the apparent demise of the series (ie: the selloff by IG) one can safely assume that a fix is not likely. Safedisc can cause problems on some machines, dependant on your os and drivers etc. To avoid this users should apply the decrypted exe. Gpx_patch must be used and run in debug mode, on any forced exit a log file is generated thereby giving you an error log. If all combinations of drivers and gpx_patch fail to get gp4 to start or prevent consistent crashes to the desktop the os may have to be changed. If you have gp4 running well on xp and win me please post yr system specs, drivers, directx, etc here for comparison. Users who have this problem might find this information useful.
Re: crashing to desktop
Date: September 14, 2002 03:25AM
Posted by: Lilletto
If all combinations of drivers and gpx_patch fail to get gp4 to start or prevent consistent crashes to the desktop the os may have to be changed

Sorry Mortal but this is just plain stupid answer. There is much more in a puter than just playing GP4.

Date: September 14, 2002 10:57AM
Posted by: gnoppi
Agree with you 100%, Paolo.
Date: September 14, 2002 11:11AM
Posted by: Ellis
"Sorry Mortal but this is just plain stupid answer. There is much more in a puter than just playing GP4."

thats true, but if u read the GP4 manual it does say it works in WinXP - when it clearly doesnt fully work in it.

Thats also false advertising aint it?

Fact is, if it aitn working on your XP, there aint nothing you can do yet, so getting a new (or old in this case) OS is the only way!

Sorry, but thats the truth

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: September 14, 2002 04:20PM
Posted by: simonsteele
I got it working in XP, and the games reallt playable (no track texture, but that's down to my gfx card) Didn't have any crashes to desktop until i installed the patch:

Sys Specs:

Win XP home (service pack 1 installed, not tested with gp4 yet)
intel 82810 graphics controller (4mb - but according to it's properties it's 32mb, and it uses 32mb) with driver version 6.13.1.3196
256mb ram
intel celeron 1001mhz
soundMAX didgital audio

Date: September 14, 2002 04:33PM
I have it working on two different XPs (home and Pro), with no major problems, and non to do with XP

Altho i have had almost every other bug in the buglist

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: September 14, 2002 05:41PM
Posted by: mortal
I rest my case, for some users it works on xp and for others it doesn't. I merely make the point Paulo that if you are consistently unable to run gp4 then it may be a realistic solution to change the os. I have the manual and I agree that it states it will run in 98/me/200/xp but getting it do so is another matter entirely, also I am fully aware that there is far more to a computer than gp4. It all depends just how badly you want this to run, if you don't wish to change your os that's fine, anyway, the final choice is yours, flaming will not solve your problem now will it? It's not going to fix itself by magic, and if it won't run on your system and you're not prepared to take the steps to fix it you'll just have to live with it.
Date: September 14, 2002 07:18PM
Did I flame Mortal?
I just said that to go back to far worse OS like Win98 or ME just to play a game is stupid, nothing more.
I think it would be more sane to get back to GP3 or buy F12002 then.
If GP4 is important to the point that reverting to an older and worst OS can be seen like a "fix" to the game, then don't get surprised or annoyed by Boomy's posts, cause this is just like his own way of thinking.

Date: September 14, 2002 08:05PM
The best we can say is this game is a random bitch:
I've tested it for a full week with the patch (no decrypted exe so no one can blame the modders).
My result is that the patch actually increases a lot the chances of crashes.
While for me the unpatched game was maybe once in 100 runs, with the patch is almost 50/50 especially when you try to quit free practice or qualify.
But I read that for sasjag the patched game never crashed so far.
Also I never experienced skymessages slowdowns or car getting stuck in pits since I bought the game, while almost everyone is complaining for those.
Yet new strange bugs pop up once in a while (see the "mr. Briatore" post).
So all I can say is that we cannot really advice other than ourselves about the patch.
Only by our OWN tests we can decide if patched is better than original or the other way around IMO.

My specs anyway:

Athlon XP 2000+
Gigabyte 7VRX with VIA KT333 chipset (4.43 4in1 drivers)
512 DDR2700 Corsair ram cas2
SBLive 5.1 (latest XP drivers, july 2002)
Visiontek Ti4400 (30.82 detonators - quincux antialiasing on)
Win XP pro SP1
Game runs all maxed except:
environ map = off
reflections = low
shadows = low
mirrors = near objects

f1graphics.cfg = unmodified
performances = 41FPS suggested 37FPS actually used
PO max 75/80%

Date: September 15, 2002 12:48AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
mine runs on win xp (pro) well also

System Specs:

Windows XP Pro (5.1.2600)
Graphics Card = 64meg (Daytona) Geforce 2 MX 400: Drivers - 2.1.8.3
RAM = 384 meg of DDR PC2100 RAM
Processor = AMD Duron 1000
Sound = VIA AC'97 Enhanced Onboard Audio
Mainboard = Soltek A Mainboard (SL-75DRV4) - VIA Apollo KT266A series

Grand Prix 4
---------------------------
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Car/track geometry: High
Main view objects: All
Shadows: Low
Reflections: Low
Bump Mapping: off
Advanced lighting: On or Off?? (can't remember)
Pitcrew: Low
Frame rate set to: 36-40 when in practise or quicklaps, 28-32 in races
PO: Qual between 60 & 100, Race between 60 & 130

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: September 15, 2002 05:33AM
"I just said that to go back to far worse OS like Win98 or ME just to play a game is stupid"

Define worse? An OS thats compatible with stuff? Out of date doesnt mean worse, and for soem reason everything works in 98, were as XP is more Plug and Pray

I would change back on this PC if i was allowed but this aint my comp. And my college runs it on there machines and its pish on theres too.

Date: September 15, 2002 05:43AM
but u gota admit.. xp loox way better!!

the old OS's may be compatible with everything.. btu they crash more, they freeze more, programs stop responding more, and when i isntall an old OS, i gota go throw and install each and every driver for sound, mainboard, wheel, monitor, grfx, woteva.. with xp, it does it all for ya :)

;)

Chris C
Date: September 15, 2002 05:45AM
Posted by: genesis
Win ME?!?! I had that OS for 2 years, and it's shite! My NVIDIA card wasn't certified to run with ME but they bung it in any way, and crashes hapen all the time.

Win 98 is the best for reliability tho.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: September 15, 2002 06:35AM
"but u gota admit.. xp loox way better!!"

Me and several other hundread people of complained to MS found the default XP settings sore on the eyes.

I think XP looks very childish. Designed by a Teletubby for a 2 year old

Date: September 15, 2002 09:46AM
"hundread people of complained to MS found the default XP"

i don't get it ? :s

Chris C
Date: September 15, 2002 12:02PM
hunreads and hundreads of people complained to Microsoft XP was sore too look at.

Personally i think its easier to change the background and colours and stuff :P

Date: September 15, 2002 12:08PM
Posted by: gnoppi
Simply use the "classic windows view". Simple as that.

Well Win95, 98, 98se and ME if used intensely (I mean install - uninstall - change hardware upgrade and downgrade drivers etc etc) after one year - one year and a half start to corrupt, crash even more often and so on.
I know what I'm telling cause I used all of them.

Now I'm a XP Pro user since late October 2001 and I've been not experiencing this behaviour nor seen a major decline of performance.
To me, this is "better". The only thing to take care of is to use software versions of known applications specifically compatible with XP, especially with tools like burning CDR programs etc etc.
GP4 is compatible with XP, they (IG) says. That's the main reason why I'm so "harsh", like someone said, with them.

Enjoy.
Date: September 15, 2002 12:14PM
I just changed the appeance to the Silver one, i like that.

On my 350mhz i have classic view cos it runs faster

Date: September 15, 2002 12:24PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
XP must slow down your 350mhz SO much! I know I could'nt run it on mine!

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: September 15, 2002 12:25PM
Its ok cos theres 384Mb of RAM stuffed into the old thing ;P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy