Tell me the difference please

Posted by Oasis2002 
Tell me the difference please
Date: September 03, 2002 02:51AM
Posted by: Oasis2002
Ive got an Athlon 1200 with a TNT Ultra 2. Laugh you may do and you have every right to! Im about to buy a Geforce 4 Ti4200. Exactly how much faster do you guys reckon the game will run. Oh and is it really worth doing a dual boot and having Win98 or XP to play on. I might upgrade to XP from Win2000(what im using)

At present I am a fan of frame rate as I cant play with out and I have to run at 640x480 with everything on low. No 3d sound or anything. Its quite playable though and looks good still. Oh I do have trackside objects on as its just crap without!
Re: Tell me the difference please
Date: September 03, 2002 03:08AM
Posted by: Glyn
OK, basically whats happening at the moment is that your processor is processing the graphics faster than your video card can handle (way way faster). Therefore you have a huge bottleneck. To solve this you turn the detail in the game down to avoid the bottleneck. The GF4 you are planning on buying is designed for your processor speed, so no bottleneck. The result is you'll be able to play GP4 at full detail and a very high FPS. Its well worth the upgrade!

As for the Win 98/XP thing, I personally dont see the point in dual booting. XP runs fine with all my games and the OS is a hell of a lot better than 98, which will just take up HD space which you could use for MP3's :) Or GP4 addons :)

Date: September 03, 2002 04:24AM
Posted by: matthewp
its actually been conclusivly proven that win98 runs games faster than win XP, apart from that I agree that XP is vastly better

Date: September 03, 2002 05:01AM
Posted by: mortal
xp is ram hungry, make sure you have plenty, 512 mb would be good to run games properly in the xp environment. GP4 is more cpu than 3d graphic biased but you will see a huge improvement with the G4TI4200 anyway. The Athlon is pretty easy to overclock as well if you feel the need for more speed ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 03, 2002 05:25AM
Posted by: sgtbilko
If anything your CPU will be the bottleneck as the GF4 cards are so good but you will definitely benefit enormously from the 4200. I doubt that XP would improve anything though.

Phil
Date: September 03, 2002 05:35AM
Whats also good with the GF4 cars is that you will be able to run 4x FSAA WITHOUT any performance decrease. Sweet huh? :)

Date: September 03, 2002 07:12AM
Posted by: Oasis2002
I really better get this card then. Thanks for the comments! Appreciated!
Date: September 03, 2002 12:40PM
No problemo!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy