GP4 Start Up Crash

Posted by JKT 
GP4 Start Up Crash
Date: September 02, 2002 01:05PM
Posted by: JKT
I have installed (full) GP4 and it runs. After I shut the PC down then restart, GP4 initially opens with the Safedisc screen. Then the screen goes blank as if the F1 / Infogames etc credits / opening video is about to run. However the screen remains blank and the PC has locked - crtl/alt/del has no effect and the only way to get out is a hardware reset. Theis continues until I UNinstall (not REinstall, that has no effect) the game, then Install again. This is fine then until I switch the PC off. Then the whole damn thing repeats itself and I have to uninstall etc.

ANY IDEAS??

Athlon Xp1800+ / MSI KT7 266 Pro2A / 266DDR / Geforce 2 Pro 64M. I have downloaded and installed Bios / Via / Nvidia drivers. (detonator 3 - 30.82). GP4 works fine on my other m/c - Athlon 1000 / 384 SDRAM 100 / TNT2 / detonator3 (yes the detonator drivers are different for TNT)

Both running Win ME (sorry!)

The game is good but not worth all this hassle - come on Geoff!
Re: GP4 Start Up Crash
Date: September 02, 2002 01:16PM
Posted by: genesis
Do you know, this could be - no surely not - a BUG!

Yes believe it or not, GP4 has bugs. Lots of em. Thousands of em. Trillions. Sorry.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: September 02, 2002 01:30PM
Posted by: simonsteele
GP4 is a bug.

Date: September 02, 2002 01:56PM
Posted by: tux
try using the decrypted exe,

on my old pc, i have to decrypt every safedisc game just to get it to run :S

Date: September 03, 2002 01:37AM
Posted by: JKT
Thanks to all who said it was a bug. I think I sort of guessed that. The question is whether or not this is a known bug with a fix! Have not tried the decrypted std exe, but have tried the "NO CD" exe - no change. One point is that the first thing that appears if it is going to start ok is the mouse pointer. Could this be a mouse driver issue?
Date: September 03, 2002 04:46AM
Posted by: anze89
I had the same problem. The music plays, all is normal, exept the picture, the scren is totaly black. Here is a solution: Format your disc.

Date: September 03, 2002 05:17AM
Posted by: mortal
Format the disk? what sort of a crazy answer is that? sheeesh now I've heard everything. As Dumbass states you must use a decrypted exe. Also if you have the same issues with the decrypted exe then change the detonators to 21.83whql certified. Both cards will function with the same detonators as well. You've obviously proven that gp4 runs in the me environment so it cannot be the os, therefore it must be something else. It's just a process of elimination really. Use "End It All" (freeware) to shutdown background tsr's. It's also possible that redundant registry entries may cause you problems, remove them with "EasyCleaner". Run "Adaware" to remove suspicious files, spyware and advertising bots planted via your internet browse, you may have something there that could cause problems ;-) Format is a "last resort", only when every other avenue has been travelled.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 03, 2002 05:57AM
Posted by: ISEVERYONEOK
I have a KT7a motherboard and I was having problems with other games until I updated my BIOS settings and VIA drivers from their website as there are issues concerning the IRQs and the USB devices.

Do you have a Thrustmaster/Microsoft wheel attached to this PC or any Thrustmapper software for a mouse or keyboard?

Have you checked that the sound card is fully accelerated?

bobby
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy