Heat haze a waste of time?

Posted by Cadence 
Heat haze a waste of time?
Date: August 28, 2002 07:03AM
Posted by: Cadence
Picture the scene.

Its morning, my alarm goes off at 8.30. I'm expecting Parcel Force at 9.30 with a new box of tricks for me to shove into my PC.

After much deliberation on getting RIMMS to fit into my machine and getting my new GEFORCE 4 TI4600 into its slot, I start GP4.

I had great expections for an increase in performance from my lowly GEFORCE 2 MX and I wasnt dissapointed. What a treat! Everything set to highest (except dynamic mapping) and the game looks great.

Except one thing. Heat Haze. What the hell is all that about? At first I noticed nothing as I sat on the grid, but on a replay I noticed the number 1 Ferarri appear like a cheap 1960s Star Trek effect. It was like a really bad mirage appearing on the horizon.

So, for those of you who havent seen the "delights" of heat haze, or just can't run it, don't bother. You aint missing nothin'.

I do apologise for the ranting but I had to get it off my chest. I was looking forward to being able to play with all the graphics on but realised it looked better with some turned off.

I run a P4 1300, 640mb RAM, WIN XP - GP4 PO 50-60%

"Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can't keep silent"
Re: Heat haze a waste of time?
Date: August 28, 2002 08:00AM
Posted by: tux
hi,
i know i know, its crap.

i could run it, but i choose not to becuase its so crap and to save about 2 fps :P

Date: August 28, 2002 08:42AM
Posted by: matthewp
also when cars drive through it they sometimes become transparent too!! sort of ruins the illusion

Date: August 28, 2002 08:48AM
yeah,

when they get into normall view, they just jump out of the heat haze :S

thats lazy coding :( (that feature was definatly rushed)

Date: August 28, 2002 09:00AM
Posted by: mathias_browning
Glad to know I'm not on my own on this one! I hope they leave it out of GP5 all together. I think they should get the cars looking right before they mess with magically appearing wobbly graphics.
Date: August 28, 2002 09:14AM
i think its a good feature, but just poorly implemented

Date: August 28, 2002 10:34AM
Posted by: LS.
yeah i agree

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 28, 2002 11:15AM
Posted by: Vader
Cadence_Braking? Hmm, we had this before. Anyway, welcome to a new member, as I suppose. Oh, and welcome to m brown, too. (I've been dancing with Mr. Brownstone ... )

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 29, 2002 02:06PM
Posted by: Glyn
I think its a good feature, but just poorly implemented

I have to agree too. The actual effect is quite reasonable, its just the way the cars warp in and out of it that spolis it.

Date: August 30, 2002 02:49AM
Posted by: Habi
I hope they leave it out of GP5 all together.

Why?Like Dumbass said its a very good idea, they just have to fix the code and effects a bit and it should rock
Date: August 30, 2002 11:33AM
Posted by: BYF
I agree with you all the heat haze in gp4 is crap, Geoff should have looked at the heat haze in gran turismo 3 on playstation2 to see how it should be done. The PS2 has apparently inferior graphics to the average PC but this was done over a year ago on gt3 and looks awesome! Another example of PC graphics being too reliant on hardware with poor programming.
Date: August 30, 2002 12:48PM
hmm,

ive found something in the f1graphics.cfg file,

im gunna test it, this might make it look a bit nicer

Date: August 30, 2002 12:58PM
Posted by: Glyn
I know what your refering too :)

Please post your results :)

Date: August 30, 2002 01:36PM
ok,

i havnt even started yet :(

ellis got me talking :P

Date: August 30, 2002 01:37PM
Posted by: Ellis
opps, sorry :P

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 30, 2002 02:21PM
lol,
didnt work any way,

it just made the heat haze more hazy

Date: August 30, 2002 04:55PM
well, come monday theres a patch :D

Date: September 01, 2002 08:26AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Hmm, about cars jumping out the heat haze wall, i just want to advertise you that there's a special line in the f1graphics which increase numbers of heat haze walls, creating a more fading effect (and of course using more resource also) when cars are runing to the camera.
Can't remember the line name but its name has "heathaze" in it.

Date: September 01, 2002 12:48PM
thats the thing i was trying Lauri

it just makes it more hazy but they still jump out (and it makes a green wall like thingy cut across half the screen :S)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy