Driving Position

Posted by dave 
Re: Driving Position
Date: August 23, 2002 06:58PM
Posted by: Vader
Of course it is more realistic than nothing at all. But then, a roadkill weasel is more realistic than nothing at all, too. Still I wouldn't use it just because it is there. So that is just trivial. If something does not look good - and in my book the visor does not really look real - I may switch it off anyway. Visors are like commas: when in doubt, leave it out.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 25, 2002 01:46AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
well i talked to 4 others with gp4 jsut then and they all agree with me that the cockpit view is a complete f**k up....

i drive cockpit view in every single game.. i still try to sometimes in gp4, but since i was waitign for a ver realistic game, i was annoyed with how unrealistic the cockpit view was behaving on my copmuter.. and i still find it striaght racing on the cockpit view a bit.. wish there was a way of moving the gp3 cockpit into gp4 ;)

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: August 25, 2002 10:25AM
Posted by: Larry
SkAiFeY,

I just realized that the reason the turns appear so fast to you is exactly the same reason the straights appear so slow. It's the absence of the unnatural wide-angle lens effect that I wrote about above. Because the field of vision is smaller than the wide angle that you are accustomed to, any lateral motion will appear faster.

And, on top of that, it's also because when you fix your eyes on an object moving across a monitor, it will not appear as clear as doing the same in real life. So maybe that's why you don't feel this adverse effect when karting. But the higher your monitor's refresh rate and the higher GP4's frame rate, the less of this adverse effect you will get. Are you playing at an adequate frame rate? Is your monitor's refresh rate 85Hz, at least? Also have you tried zooming out with the + - keys in cockpit view. That might give you closer to the effect you're looking for.

It will probably take extremely high frame rates to reduce these negative grahics side effects to negligible levels. Until then, we will have to live with these unavoidable compromises.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy