Driving Position

Posted by dave 
Re: Driving Position
Date: August 21, 2002 09:58PM
Posted by: Larry
its a weird view, it seems liek i'm goin 60km/h down the straights instead of 300, and it seems to go faster around the corners.. like 230 instead of 100 wtf??
Maybe that's how a real F1 feels. Our senses may have been corrupted by other so-called race sims. Who knows? Anyway, I want to feel like I'm driving a car and not playing with an RC toy so the cockpit view is the only one for me. The other views are only good for replays.

Date: August 22, 2002 05:22AM
Posted by: shmall
Larry wrote:
>
> its a weird view, it seems liek i'm goin 60km/h down the
> straights instead of 300, and it seems to go faster around
> the corners.. like 230 instead of 100 wtf??

> Maybe that's how a real F1 feels. Our senses may have been
> corrupted by other so-called race sims. Who knows? Anyway, I
> want to feel like I'm driving a car and not playing with an
> RC toy so the cockpit view is the only one for me. The other
> views are only good for replays.
>
>

Totally agree with you mate........
Date: August 22, 2002 05:25AM
Posted by: genesis
You really think an F1 driver feels he's going at only 60km/h on say the Monza pit-straight? I don't think so, and if not then how you're driving isn't realistic is it.

Visit my website [www.mrears.com]
Date: August 22, 2002 06:18AM
Cai wrote:
>
> You really think an F1 driver feels he's going at only 60km/h
> on say the Monza pit-straight? I don't think so, and if not
> then how you're driving isn't realistic is it.
>
>

well I don't feel like I am only going 60 in Moza straight, it feels like 200mph in the cockpit to me??????

Simon.
Date: August 22, 2002 09:54AM
Going down the Monza straight certainly doesn't feel like 60 km/h either, though that low figure was obviously exaggerated to make a point. But my point is that neither of us has driven an F1 and don't know what it feels like. Our only reference is what we have always seen on TV through the on-board cameras. And the problem here is that these are very wide angled lenses that make everything appear to go by much faster, and they greatly exaggerate the "sense of speed". It certainly makes for spectacular viewing but that is not what the driver sees.

The other day, out of curiosity, I went on the long straight of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. I adjusted the lens on my digital camera to give me an image identical to what my bare eye saw from that point. When I compared it to GP4 screenshots from the same position on the track, the view that came closest was the cockpit view. All the other views were stretched out in front like through a wide-angled lens. In fact, even the cockpit view was slightly stretched out.

So, I'm sorry to disappoint you but our perception of speed has been unrealistically corrupted by these on-board cameras and race games that exaggerate speed in the same way. Sure, the "enhanced" sense of speed might feel more thrilling but don't claim that it is more realistic. I prefer realism. If you prefer an artificial sense of speed, there are Star Wars games for that. ;-)

Date: August 22, 2002 10:28AM
Larry wrote:
>
> Going down the Monza straight certainly doesn't feel like 60
> km/h either, though that low figure was obviously exaggerated
> to make a point. But my point is that neither of us has
> driven an F1 and don't know what it feels like. Our only
> reference is what we have always seen on TV through the
> on-board cameras. And the problem here is that these are very
> wide angled lenses that make everything appear to go by much
> faster, and they greatly exaggerate the "sense of speed". It
> certainly makes for spectacular viewing but that is not what
> the driver sees.
>
> The other day, out of curiosity, I went on the long straight
> of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. I adjusted the lens on my
> digital camera to give me an image identical to what my bare
> eye saw from that point. When I compared it to GP4
> screenshots from the same position on the track, the view
> that came closest was the cockpit view. All the other views
> were stretched out in front like through a wide-angled lens.
> In fact, even the cockpit view was slightly stretched out.
>
> So, I'm sorry to disappoint you but our perception of speed
> has been unrealistically corrupted by these on-board cameras
> and race games that exaggerate speed in the same way. Sure,
> the "enhanced" sense of speed might feel more thrilling but
> don't claim that it is more realistic. I prefer realism. If
> you prefer an artificial sense of speed, there are Star Wars
> games for that. ;-)
>
>

Great replay man..........

You only have to look at objects passing you in a road car doing 100mph, they don't fly past that fast.

Next time you are in a car on a Motorway, (check there are no cops or speed camera's around first..:-) ) do 100mph and watch a bridge you are driving at, it will take a long time to reach you........

These games do tend to exaggerate speed a little I feel...
Date: August 22, 2002 11:34AM
Posted by: Ellis

"I could never understand GPL drivers using the "F10";(Back of the car) view either?????????????"

I use a digital joypad, and the steering wheel either has to be on full lock, or not not turned at all in the cocpit view, can u imagine trying to drive like that? Its just not possible

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: August 22, 2002 11:40AM
Posted by: simonsteele
i agree with you there Ellis. I have the same problem

I also use T-cam on GP4, but i prefer to use cockpit with visor. Unfortunately my PC specs aren't up to scratch, so i use T-cam so the game is at least playable

Date: August 22, 2002 08:43PM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
maybe its my comptuer i dno..

but i know how the sense of speed around a corner ratio to on a straight should be.. i've driven real fast in road cars, and go karting a LOT! somefin is screwy..

must be my copmuter.. coz its definitely not right!

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: August 22, 2002 10:59PM
I just saw something rather interesting on a Canadian TV show leading up to the upcoming CART race this weekend. Tony Kanaan said that he and a couple other drivers were studying the Montreal track on a video game (though he didn't specify which game). He said that he then called Rubens Barrichello for tips, and Rubens told him that the track looked much narrower in real life than it did in the game. So maybe you guys who find the track too narrow from GP4's cockpit view are seeing it as it should be. How's that for realism!

Date: August 22, 2002 11:23PM
For those who find that the speed seems faster around the corners, are you using Windows XP? Because I read of a problem with the refresh rate being limited to 60Hz in certain cases where GP4 is run in a different resolution than the desktop. Sideways movement of the scenery at a lower refresh rate or even at a low framerate might give the illusion of it passing by too quickly. I think there was a fix for this but I didn't really pay attention since I use WindowsME. And to be quite honest, I never really noticed this. I even went back to GP4 after reading your comments and don't really notice this. Just a thought.

Date: August 22, 2002 11:30PM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
i didn't say it was too narrow
its too ... weird ;)

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: August 23, 2002 01:30AM
Posted by: Keithb
If you want as near realism as you can get,then you have to drive the car as if you were actually sitting in it -i.e cockpit cam.
If your p.c isn't powerful enough,or if you just want an "arcade"game that looks like something off a gameboy,than choose t-cam.
I can't see the point of pretending to drive an F1 car by sitting on the back of it!!!!!!!! But hey-ho, everyone has their own preferences.
Date: August 23, 2002 08:21AM
Posted by: Vader
I find visor view is too unrealistic as long as it just a static bmp overlay. It does not look right when you go into a corner without the slightest movement of the head. Even CART PR had a dynamic cockpit view way back in 1997 (!!!!), so I think GC schould have been able to include this feature as well.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 23, 2002 09:02AM
Posted by: Glyn
I couldnt of said it better myself Vader :)

Basically the visor just looks naff. The only time it does look good is in the rain.

Date: August 23, 2002 09:04AM
Posted by: Lilletto
naff????????????

Date: August 23, 2002 09:20AM
SkAiFeY wrote:
>
> i didn't say it was too narrow
> its too ... weird ;)
>
>

Well I guess its your pc setup then because I have never noticed this weird thing you talk off.......?????????

Simon.
Date: August 23, 2002 09:21AM
Vader wrote:
>
> I find visor view is too unrealistic as long as it just a
> static bmp overlay. It does not look right when you go into a
> corner without the slightest movement of the head. Even CART
> PR had a dynamic cockpit view way back in 1997 (!!!!), so I
> think GC schould have been able to include this feature as
> well.
>
>

Well I agree that the helmet should move, but its still more realistic than driving from the "T" cam......

Simon.
Date: August 23, 2002 09:43AM
I don't use the visor because of my system's limitations so I can't really judge that feature but if I couldn't play in cockpit view, I wouldn't play at all.

And it would be nice if the head would turn slightly as you turn the wheel. I mapped the X and C keys to my wheel but I just can't drive with my head turned 90degrees. That feature may only be good with steering help while using the keyboard as a steering device.

Date: August 23, 2002 02:50PM
Posted by: Ellis
"I find visor view is too unrealistic "

but isnt that more realistic than nothing at all?

" but its still more realistic than driving from the "T" cam......"

I hate driving with that

Anything outside cocpit, or helemt cam view is not a sim, its more arcade

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy