2009 Empty Mod - Problems and Questions

Posted by janus1339 
2009 Empty Mod - Problems and Questions
Date: May 04, 2009 09:10AM
Posted by: janus1339
Hi, I know this might seem a bit presumptious of me seeing as this is my first post here at GrandPrixGames.org. But I've been having some overall trouble with updating my GP4 to 2009 Standards. More specifically, using the 2009 Empty Mod (and update) made by Tony.
I can appreciate how helpful it actually is, providing the scaffold for people to put different 2009 cars, cockpits and other niceties in there, but as I've said I'm having a little trouble so I thought I would try my hand here. It is also my hope that others will see this and gain knowledge from the questions I'm going to ask

First of all:-
Cars:
Problem: From what I've downloaded, I understand that there are two parts to a car within GP4. First there is the .gp4 files, or more colloquially the "shape" of the car. And then there are the .tex files, again more colloqially the "paint" of the car. The method of creating and refining these files is beyond me to understand and I do not wish to. But what I am having trouble with is well, they dont work. Placing the .gp4 files within the folder data\cars\*teamname*\car\melbourne and the .tex files within the folder data\cars\*teamname*\hi\melbourne as per the readme.txt file accompanying the 2009 Empty Mod by Tony. I then load GP4 only to have 16 of the cars completely white, but with the 2009 "Shape" (i.e. small rear wings etc.), but with Ferrari and Williams both lacking the shape and new textures. From this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think GP4 recognises the .gp4 files, but isn't recognising the textures. Being an inquisitive mind, I tried my own solution in renaming all the 2009 .gp4 files and .tex files to their appropriate original 2001 names, as shown below.
2001 2009
Ferrari -- Mclaren
Mclaren -- Ferrari
Williams - BMW
Benetton - Renault
BAR ------ Toyota
Jordan --- STR
Arrows --- RBR
Sauber --- Williams
Prost ---- Force India
Minardi -- Brawn GP
Now according to the small table above, any files created for Ferrari need to be renamed for Mclaren, Mclaren needs to be renamed Ferrari and so on. I have done this for the .gp4 files, and I even did it for the .tex files I received just in case. I have been told that the name of the .tex files does not matter, but I guess for my own sake I renamed them anyway. To clarify, I renamed the .tex files in accordance to how they appear within the cars.wad file in the GP4 Main Directory. i.e. hi_F60_1.tex became hi_mclaren_1.tex
Summarisation: I guess I'm just looking for an answer for how to get the .tex files to work within the 2009 Empty Mod (and Update) by Tony. Additionally, I would like a little more information pertaining to what particular .gp4 files you actually need for GP4 to update the shape. I have had some updates that have had 5 .gp4 files for both teams cars. But I've also had some updates that only have 2 .gp4, one for each car. I have changed the setting withing the mod pertaining to "Use lod_0 only" to true and the same problem presents itself.

I have many more questions, but I guess the problem associated with the car is most pressing (or annoying if you prefer). I also apologise if my first post seems audaciuous, I would just like some sort of clarification in laymens terms how GP4 work I guess.

*Edit_1* Realised there were 5 .gp4 per two team cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2009 09:11AM by janus1339.
Re: 2009 Empty Mod - Problems and Questions
Date: May 04, 2009 09:57AM
Posted by: b-tone
Hi and welcome :)
You don't need to rename any files, so I'd go back to what you had. Renaming tex files causes problems, renaming .gp4 files doesn't do much as CSM will still work whatever they are called (as long as they are car_X_carY_lod_Z.gp4 format)
Make sure you have 'Hi' selected for Texture Resolution in the Configurables, and also there is a small fix available here:
[www.gp4db.com]

____
Tony

Date: May 04, 2009 10:01AM
Posted by: ktm1974
im only new here too, just make sure you set the textures to high in game. options, graphics, advanced

i didnt rename any files and they are all working fine for me.
Date: May 04, 2009 11:11AM
Okay. I've deleted all the files in the 2009 Empty Mod and started again with placing them in their folders using the above advice. I started with BMW, renaming the .gp4 files to use the williams team name so car order is correct. However the same problem occurs with the textures. The shape i.e. the .gp4 files are correct because the car is now completely white, however the .tex files aren't working. Here are the names of the files I have.
hi_visor.tex
hi_bmw_01.tex
hi_bmw_01_1.tex
hi_bmw_02.tex
hi_carbon.tex
hi_cockpit.tex
hi_extra_2.tex
I have left the names of the files the same, the configurables within CSM is Hi, the textures within GP4 Option-->Graphics-->Advanced are all on high but the same problem.
Additionally, I would like to know what the deal is with the option to use only lod_0.gp4 files instead of what I think is normally 5 .gp4 files.
Date: May 04, 2009 11:24AM
Posted by: nhorry
You shouldn't rename .g4 files at all, the correct order will be made by CSM.
You can choose lod_0 only in CSM configurables for the mod.
Date: May 04, 2009 11:29AM
Using lod_0 (lod=level of detail) will mean you use the highest detail model always, so it looks a bit better, but is very hard on your PC.
Did you install that fix?

____
Tony

Date: May 04, 2009 12:14PM
If by fix you mean the update to the 2009 Empty Mod then yes. But the only thing I've done pertaining to lod_0 is change the "Use lod_0's only" option from No, to Yes. Now I've done what was suggested and left the names completely normal with no alterations, and some progress has been made. 3 cars are completely correct (Renault, Williams, Force India), 5 cars have the 2009 Shape, but no textures. And stubborn Ferrari is still showing 2001 Shape and Texture. Why are some textures working but other's aren't?
Date: May 04, 2009 12:25PM
Do all the textures have Hi_ prefix?
Are your default gp4.exe and cars.wad untouched? CSM works best when it has a clean instalation to work with.
But you've got 3 cars working and 5 partly working so making progress :)

____
Tony

Date: May 04, 2009 12:29PM
I began this morning with a clean install, updated with the official patch, installed gpxpatch, copied over the decrypted exe. So the gp4.exe and the wads are fine. I keep everything seperated so it's easier to start again.
Now, the same problem is still occuring with Ferrari, even with a different update package. I understand that the absolute minimum .gp4 files you need to update a car is the two different lod_0 files. But what about the .tex files, what are the absolute minimum you need for them?
Date: May 04, 2009 12:39PM
GP4 has a default car (probably slot one in that mod) so if a lower lod is missing it uses the default, thats why you might see a mclaren change to a ferrari at certain distance for instance.
So if you just have the default cars it will load, and you'll see 22 of the default car.
To get all 2009 cars you'll need at least lod_0 and the relevant textures. Textures depend on cars, so one car might have 1 texture, another might have 10. But as long as you use the files you get in the download it should be ok.
What cars are you using?

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy