sound card opinions? impending upgrade

Posted by mortal 
sound card opinions? impending upgrade
Date: August 05, 2002 03:38AM
Posted by: mortal
Well, it seems that I need to get a better soundcard, the Vibra128 just can't cut it, I suspect that I need hardware support to reduce the PO hit on the cpu. So, what is the best way to go, the Creative 5.1 says on the box it has EAX support but does it actually work? What about the Audigy Entertainment (I am on a budget) Is this any good? What actually works and does reduce the po hit by giving hardware sound acceleration? Cheers and TIA

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: sound card opinions? impending upgrade
Date: August 05, 2002 03:44AM
Posted by: Keithb
The EAX on the 5.1 does work. I only have a 5.1 player installed,(I'm on a budget as well!!)but since I put it in it helped my PO a little.It's a good little card and well priced for people like us !
Date: August 05, 2002 03:49AM
Posted by: Habi
Sound blaster Audigy would be probably the best choice:

[www.soundblaster.com]

Date: August 05, 2002 04:07AM
looks very nice Habi but it might be out of my price range, I'll check a local wholesaler tomorrow and see how much if its available ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 05, 2002 03:01PM
Posted by: mczepp
I'm using a Sounblaster 1024 value and have 3D hardware sound with EAX running. Sounds great at Monaco :)
Date: August 05, 2002 03:13PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Sound blaster live! Value is very good, I use it and EAX is great.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: August 05, 2002 08:06PM
Posted by: Larry
I also have the Live! Value, and it's great for EAX and Four-point surround.
5.1 might be overkill for games but if you watch DVD's on your computer, the 5.1 might be worth it with a 5.1 speaker system.

Date: August 06, 2002 05:46AM
Posted by: mczepp
One of these for 25 quid is all you need

[www.ebuyer.com]
Date: August 06, 2002 05:59AM
Thanks for that, I got myself a live 5.1 for A$79, the gp4 sound calibration gives me eax, but not 2d or d3 acceleration. No difference to the PO hit and still unplayable. Damn, oh well, there's always hope that the cfg file will come good ;-), I put some flags in to the cards.txt to force 16 bit, I'll test it later.

Date: August 06, 2002 09:05AM
Posted by: TheKenz
Have a look for a VideoLogic SonicFury (TurtleBeach SantaCruz). It's a great card - better than the Creative 5.1Live (It supports EAX AND A3D.) I think it's around £55 tho'.
Date: August 06, 2002 10:57PM
too late, card bought and installed, downloaded latest driver set 52mb, I have 3d and eax but still unplayable ;-/, guess it's on the shelf till infogrames bring out a patch. Meanwhile it's back to f1_2002.....

Date: August 07, 2002 03:24AM
Posted by: LS.
audigy (gamer one) and then save some cash for the cambridge soundworks surround speaker setup, its awesome in all games, and mp3's sound like proper cd's

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 07, 2002 04:58AM
Posted by: Haldo
2mortalwombat: try installing new sound drivers for SB Live!. I did this and PO went from 1500-1800% (record is 1836%) to 150% with 2d, 3d sound and EAX.

---
&quot;Because the future is now.&quot;
Date: August 07, 2002 05:08AM
Posted by: Keithb
The Cambridge speakers are brilliant
Date: August 07, 2002 08:01AM
Posted by: Zcott
I haven't heard good things about the new creative drivers. I installed them and my PO went from 150 up to 900 on the grid. And then I had some comptability issues with my midi keyboard and stuff like that.
Date: August 08, 2002 01:26AM
does it ever get any easier? ;-)

Date: August 08, 2002 06:48AM
Posted by: Zcott
Yes....install older drivers and everything is wonderful! :P
Date: August 09, 2002 06:55AM
Vader, the system must have eaten it ;-)
older drivers, hmmm, I'm back on 98SE and I think I got the 23.XX's installed but hey, I can soon change that :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy