Question about LODs

Posted by james84 
Question about LODs
Date: March 15, 2009 05:36PM
Posted by: james84
This is the last one I open, I promise!
I noticed my cars.wad is a bit slow. I reduced the size of all the textures but I noticed the .gp4 files are somewhat big. Sometimes, when a car is released, it has only the #1 lods for both cars, so I copied them and renamed until lod #4. Some lods are quite big, about 1.5 megabytes.
Sp my question is: shall I use ALL the lods for any car or is it possible to use only one?
Thanks everyone!
Re: Question about LODs
Date: March 15, 2009 08:03PM
Posted by: Excalibur
You can use the lods 0 only and use team Editor to force the best carshapes. So, you will get a smaller cars.wad but the game will use only the best carshapes.The wad will load faster, that's all. if the game runs slowly at the base, it may not come from the size of your cars.wad. it depends of several things: processor, graphic card, memory ram, the f1graphics file... But test it with the lods 0 and see...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 08:07PM by Excalibur.
Date: March 16, 2009 07:18PM
Thanks!
In many cases, I used only Lod0, so my computer is just old enough...
Date: March 16, 2009 07:21PM
Posted by: J-C
james84 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks!
> In many cases, I used only Lod0, so my computer is
> just old enough...

With Lod0 only that will increase the PO ;-)

If you have old pc i suggest all lods and reduce the size
of the lods 1 - 4.

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod
Date: March 17, 2009 06:23AM
Oh yes, I hadn't mention it.I thought his problem was just to reduce his wad but... You're right, Jorge!

@James84: I've got a small configuration, too. I was even obliged to reduce the lod0 a little bit and to make lower lods from it (but the shapes still keep a good quality anyway...)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: March 17, 2009 06:09PM
Thanks, how can I reduce the lods? :D
Date: March 17, 2009 06:12PM
Posted by: fongu
Have a search for lower lod tutorial ;-) its very good

Date: March 17, 2009 06:42PM
Here it is: Gp4 faq: Tutorial: How to build lower lods

Thanks Fongu ;)

Date: March 17, 2009 10:31PM
Fantastic!
Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy