what does bump mapping do

Posted by Vito 
what does bump mapping do
Date: July 28, 2002 08:14AM
Posted by: Vito
what does bump mapping really do ? and is it a noticable option and where can it be noticed within the game.......some recent posted graphics require that bump mapping should be turned off to get a better picture...ok....but is there an expense for doing this in some other part of the game...say when it rains....also if you darken the track for sunny conditions...what might happen when it rains as most tracks are dark anyway.?

thanks
vito

My Machine,
MB K7VZA, AMD Athlon K7 Thunderbird 1.3g, 512ram, 20g wd hdd
CreAtive Sb Live 5.1, Nv Geforce 3 Ti 128ram with 30.42 drivers,
Windows ME (partioned) KeyBoard racing . frapps..29 to 32 frames
Re: what does bump mapping do
Date: July 28, 2002 08:19AM
Posted by: Lo2k
bump mapping is only seen on the trackroad. It adds plenty of little "bumps" to the road surface and give a speed effect on dry road when you are at high speeds.
It can be seen on wet road too even if the darker road give the effect less visible.
This effect is independant of the road texture color/appearance, they are 2 different things, bump mapping is a separate layer on top of the road (flat)texture.

Date: July 28, 2002 12:49PM
Posted by: SEARCHBUTTON-MAN
Look what Vader posted at [www.grandprix3.com]

from [www.tweak3d.net]

Bump Mapping

Bump mapping is a technique used to add more realism to images without adding a lot of geometry. Texture mapping adds realism by mapping images to geometric surfaces. Bump mapping adds per-pixel surface relief shading, increasing the apparent complexity of the surface. This uses lighting properties and indicates which parts are dark and which are light on a texture, making it look more geometrically complex because of light refraction.

Surfaces that should have a patterned roughness are good candidates for bump mapping. Examples include strawberries, oranges, stucco, wood, water, etc.

A bump map is an array of values that represent an object's height variations on a small scale. A custom renderer is used to map these height values into changes in the local surface normal. A normal is the perpendicular vector to a plane -- 90 degrees from the plane. These normals are combined with the surface normal, and the results are used to evaluate the lighting equation at each pixel.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
(Matthew 7,7)
Date: July 28, 2002 01:34PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Well done that man

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: February 25, 2015 10:15PM
Posted by: rookie26
Great Explanation. Thanks a lot. Until now it was a mystery to me.
Date: February 26, 2015 12:47AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
12.5 years old thread... That's a big ...bump my friend.

Date: February 27, 2015 02:56AM
Posted by: rookie26
You are right. I didn't check the date.

In deed. A huge bump. :-)

Many Greetings
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy