Keep on topic, please

Posted by Bruno 
Keep on topic, please
Date: July 25, 2002 02:54PM
Posted by: Bruno
Please remember that this is STILL a GP4 forum. You should have better place to post your funny pictures. If not, send them via e-mail.

--------------------------------------
Staff of grandprixgames.org 2000 - 2003
Re: Keep on topic, please
Date: July 25, 2002 02:58PM
Posted by: Ellis
That explains my question in the other thread then, thanks :P

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 25, 2002 03:00PM
Posted by: Bruno
Funny GP4 pictures are ON TOPIC, of course. But I do not see the connection between turtles or toys and GP4.

--------------------------------------
Staff of grandprixgames.org 2000 - 2003
Date: July 25, 2002 03:25PM
Well that all depends if wot Zcott said bout MS having one in car or not is true... :P

only joking, good point

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: July 25, 2002 04:13PM
Posted by: tux
Date: July 26, 2002 01:20AM
Posted by: Keithb
Some poor guy wanted some advice on a steering wheel,and just got a load of silly jokes.Why don't people just use msn to chat?
Date: July 26, 2002 02:25AM
Posted by: LS.
exactly my point, keith

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 26, 2002 03:00AM
Posted by: Glyn
This comment isnt going to go down very well I dont think, but Ill say it anyway:

The guys on this forum are a great laugh, and off topic posts are usually very amusing, so if we cant post them in the GP4 section we need a general discussion section for this kind of thing. A forum aint a forum unless people can post funny and pointless stuff (like turtles with golf balls up their rear).

Date: July 26, 2002 04:59AM
Posted by: tux
yeah, i think a genural section is good :)

that would get rid of the off topics

Date: July 26, 2002 05:15AM
Posted by: mortal
Most OT's are pretty much marked as such, but sometimes we do get a bit carried away don't we ;-) Still.....you gotta laugh......

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 26, 2002 08:12AM
Posted by: CMJH69
I agree with Neil!

Date: July 26, 2002 08:44AM
Posted by: Morbid
The problem isn't really that people post funny stuff. As far as I can see it, the problem is that a lot seem to just post whatever they want to in any given thread. I have never seen so many threads hijacked by strange posts as I have seen these past two weeks.

Seriously, I can see no problem in having a spam thread. I myself have been, and probably still am a heacy spammer. Spam is a major part of the forum culture and has been that for over a year.

Last year we had a big argument about the "rules" for spam, culminating in several of the many of our trademark "Goodbye forever" speeches that we had that year. But we figured out what to do, and made a gentlemans agreement. Gentlemen's agreements are always a nice way to settle things, as long as we stick by them.

Anyway, we concluded that there should only be ONE dedicated spam thread on the front page, and that spam should be limited to that thread. Of course, the odd comment did happen in other threads, and the occasional hijacking of threads also took place. But we had gained a real insight to the fact that some people really do not enjoy spam. And there has to be room for them too...

Since then we have gotten a lot of new members. And new faces are always a nice thing, BUT they do not know of our experiences and the agreements we have made in the past. But they have seen that the ability to spam seems to be an ability that is highly praised among the forum regulars. Not knowing the rules, but knowing that spam is good, has sent the spam has gotten out of control once again.

I suggest that we stick to the old gentlemen's agreement. ONE dedicated spam thread on the front page only! And please, think about what you post. If you posted here with a problem, not being a forum regular, how would you take it, if you had 10 replys the next day but none of them where serious, and most of them where attempts to speak italian, odd jokes and buddy to buddy comments? I would be pissed off, and probably find another place to get some help.

The lesson to learn is that SPAM can be a good thing. It is fun, BUT only when used properly. Don't hijack threads, don't spam in active threads, don't turn threads in to MSN chat sessions, don't use other threads for test-beds to see if you can figure out how to post links or pictures... make a TEST thread god damn it! And remember that anything that is off-topic is bordering on the verge of spam. Because, while you are having fun, someone else is being put off by your behaviour.

I don't want to strike down on anybody in particular, but I can see where Bruno is coming from and I think he is doing a mighty fine job of walking the tightrope - letting us handle things and stepping in when we go out of order.

I think that deleting our dedicated spam thread was probably a bit to harsh, but Bruno has got a point. Keep it real people, we are here to help the new people, not to celebrate each other in a (spam) champagne podium celebration ritual. Let the spam and insanity flow in the right threads... instead of showering everyone that happens to pass by.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
I don't like Topic's
Date: July 26, 2002 08:48AM
Posted by: StezTheSkinhead
I'd rather have a Snickers (or Marathon as I prefere to call them!) ;-)

1.4ghz Thunderbird @1.5ghz
512meg Ram,
Original GF3 @220/500
Hansol 920 19&quot; Monitor
16X DVD Rom
24X10X40 CD-Rewriter
Audigy
30 &amp; 82gig Hard drives
Networked with the kids 2 PC's :-)
Date: July 26, 2002 09:07AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
OK, I'll put my hand up here. I do tend to go MSN style alot. Particularly these last two weeks. Spamming a lot too....so I'm going to cut out (most) the spam in my posting.

*Finds a new leaf, turns it over*

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 26, 2002 02:01PM
There seems to be quite a few wanting a general discussion forum.

I say go for that, or make people put "O/T - " before any off topic post.

Date: July 26, 2002 02:21PM
Posted by: Vader
Why not close the german forum and ahave a general discusion forum instead? It is dead anyway. Even if the webmaster and Bruno are germans (like me) the onl yone who does post there is actually -Chris-.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: July 26, 2002 02:26PM
Posted by: Morbid
Yeah, either a clear marking of a spam thread (O/T, Insanity, Spam it's all the same to me) or we should get a general forum. I dunno which one the best solution...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 27, 2002 12:30PM
My vots goes with the marking of off topic posts with OT.

We dont have all that many new threads when you think about it, so a GD forum might not have much activity.

Maybe add a checkbox at the top of the new thread window that adds "OT" before the subject?

Date: July 27, 2002 12:48PM
I would like a OT disussion board - as long as nothing illegal is discussed then why not? Theres always lots of OT posts, we could just stick em in one forum to stop the others getting clogged - i have an OT post on the gp4 forum now with band width problems

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy