Since when did .....?

Posted by lionrampant78 
Since when did .....?
Date: July 17, 2002 08:15PM
Posted by: lionrampant78
Since when did an F1 car split in half when in a bad crash ??? I@ve had it happen lots of times.
Re: Since when did .....?
Date: July 17, 2002 09:01PM
Posted by: JC
That definately happens in GP3 in a very high speed crash, but I don't think its happened before for real........ LoL

Date: July 18, 2002 01:29AM
Posted by: Doug
Not 100% sure on the dates but...
John Watson's car ripped itself in half at Monza in 82 I think - but that was 82, a long time ago. Then again a Footwork/Arrows split into two when it crashed at the Swimming Pool section in Monaco in around 1990, and in 94 an IndyCar was torn in half by a certain J Villeneuve driving straight through it at Phoenix. It's probably happened elsewhere in F1 and Indy, and it is definitely possible, but with the strength of the Carbon Fibre shells these days it's probably not very common or easy.

Date: July 18, 2002 03:14AM
Posted by: matthewp
martin brundle's Jordan almost did in Melbourne 96, there were just a few bits holding the two half's together
Date: July 18, 2002 04:47AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I think its used in gp3 and 4 just as a level of crashing. eg when it splits in half its infinately more gratifying than a normal crash, even if its not realistic

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 18, 2002 05:14AM
I'm also fairly sure that it was in Grand Prix 2 as well.

Date: July 18, 2002 06:42AM
Posted by: Nik
Martin Donnelly's Lotus broke in two in Jerez 1990, there is that famous photo of Martin lying on the track and a separate photo of his lotus minus the cockpit and front end... so yes they do (or did)

This week I av been mostly listening to : Jeff Buckley - Grace
Date: July 18, 2002 07:25AM
Ooo, that reminds me, that's how Gilles Villeneuve died - his cockpit broke apart and he was flung from the car, much like Donnelly, only much more tragic. :';(
Date: July 18, 2002 09:02AM
Posted by: Glyn
I didnt realise how Gilles died. Sounds like a huriffic crash! :(

Date: July 18, 2002 09:29AM
Posted by: Lilletto
Since GP2!
In real life last time I saw it happen was last year to Zanardi :(

Date: July 18, 2002 03:43PM
Posted by: lionrampant78
It seems to happen in GPx games a bit too often though ..
Date: July 18, 2002 04:35PM
Posted by: Lilletto
In real life drivers are a bit less reckless since they don't have an easy way out like the "quit -> load game" we have in the game.
In the GPx series you can stage accidents that in the real F1 could have easily got motor racing banned in all countries :)

Date: July 19, 2002 02:32AM
Posted by: LS.
In the GPx series you can stage accidents that in the real F1 could have easily got motor racing banned in all countries :)

what???

so you mean that in real life you can't start at the back and turn around, drive the wrong way round the circuit and have a head on smash with the race leader, causing mass carnage in the midfield pack?.

i'm sure it was allowed before the FIA started sanctioning the safety requirements before 1994

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 19, 2002 04:53AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

I once saw a video of the crash that killed Giles Villenueve, it was indeed horrific. And yeah, cars break apart in GPx more than they should, but iot gives a nice feeling of satisfaction so I'm all for the little break away from reality :)

Date: July 19, 2002 05:12AM
Posted by: Xipe
Date: July 19, 2002 05:42AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Good point, Fred.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy