I want GP4...but will my PC be up to it??

Posted by Tony 
I want GP4...but will my PC be up to it??
Date: July 14, 2002 10:59AM
Posted by: Tony
Hello

This is the Deal:-)

I have Grand Prix 3 at the moment running on a Pentium II 400 with a Voodoo card 3000 PCI. It is far superior to anything else I
Re: I want GP4...but will my PC be up to it??
Date: July 14, 2002 11:05AM
Posted by: Bruno
The Ge-force 2 MX offers good results for money, but is a bit slow if you want to buy a new system. It's not really faster than a G-Force 1, though.

If you can afford, buy a Ge-Force 4 Ti 4200, which should be around $200.

--------------------------------------
Staff of grandprixgames.org 2000 - 2003
Date: July 14, 2002 11:14AM
Well Bruno,

If I really have to fork out £200 + quid for a Ge-force 4 Ti 4200 just to run GP4...then no, I can't afford it. Or at least what I mean is, I Won't spend £200+ on a GFX card just to run GP4. GP3 run(s) good on my PII 400 Voodoo 3000, so I am to assume a Pentium 1.8 Processor with a G-force 2MX will make it fly...right? - well perhaps I'm not. But compare my system (PII 400) with the 1.8GHz, ...then one should assume no probblems at all.

Tony
Date: July 14, 2002 12:14PM
Posted by: bazza
Tony, I just got a Gainward GeForce4 Ti 4200 (64Mb[was cheaper and has faster memory]), and Bruno said $200 not £. I got mine for £130 from my local dealer, but you could probably get it for less on the net, not a lot less though, I'm talking £120. It is a great card, and I believe, well worth the money.

bazza

Date: July 14, 2002 10:51PM
Posted by: JC
GP4 will run fine on that Compaq, but you need a better graphics card for GP4 to run super quick at higher resolutions with everything on max lol.

You might want to checkout [www.aria.co.uk], they sell PC's where you can choose the parts........ Worth checking out...........

Does that compaq your looking at have the NForce chipset??? They should be avoided.........

Personally i think Time PC's and Systemax PCs (http://www.simply.co.uk) are quicker then compaq's..............

You might want to go for Athlons instead because they are cheap and much quicker then their Pentium 4 counterparts...... A lot of comapnies use Pentium 4 motherboards with the I845 chipset which is slow. Athlon garuntees lots of speed............. ;o)

Date: July 15, 2002 03:17AM
Posted by: Keithb
Hey Tony,Don't worry about the G-Force 2 not being good enough.I have one and with the help of the G-Force Tweak Utility it has improved my frame rate.I can run the game at a very respectable 25 fps and the p.o.hardly ever goes above 120 at the first bend,and then runs at about 80.I have a 1 gig Thunderbird processor,slightly overclocked to1100.
Like you,many of us can't afford to spend a lot of money on graphics cards,but the G-Force 2 is perfectly respectable,so don't worry about it!!!
Date: July 15, 2002 08:48AM
Thanks all for the Info.

JC,

I picked out that compaq from "PC world" because I don't know where to get "just" a base unit from. Whenever i go to other sites, I try to configure a computer, but they always seem to include the monitor (which i allready have). So where do you think I can get the "cheapest" base unit for aroung £500?. (with decent components of course)? Well actually, i am typing this before visiting aria.com, so will have a look at that. I already have windows 98 on my system, so may not even need an OS (since hearing some gripes about XP)

Cheers
Date: July 15, 2002 09:10AM
Posted by: Zcott
Aria and Ebuyer.com are the best places to buy components and build up your own system, much cheaper than PC World or places like that. The only downside is that there's no support. Although you're supposed to know about things like that when you're building systems. Or there's always newsgroups, which rock.
Date: July 15, 2002 09:10AM
Posted by: mercedes
Hi Tony!

Can´t give you any help on compsites but I think it´s a good idea to get a unit in which you are able to choose the components. I bought mine from a site in Sweden. Asus P4B266 mobo, 256 ddr, Chieftec miditower with 340W supply, P4 2.0 Northwood, GF3 Ti200, cd-rom, cd-RW 80gb hd. Ok,
payed a bit more than 500 (1100) but on the other hand got what i wanted and it will cope for some time. Delivered with all components tested and with guarantee/support. Did not buy a new OS, use my old win98. Works like a dream.

Rgds,
Date: July 15, 2002 02:35PM
Posted by: JC
Here's another site to checkout, [www.carrera.co.uk]

Date: July 16, 2002 11:00AM
Posted by: ravdave
You can get a Geforce 4 Ti4200 for £128 at www.watford.co.uk

also have a look at [www.computerprices.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy