How to make Alpha's in PSP 7?

Posted by Great.M.Surfer 
How to make Alpha's in PSP 7?
Date: November 04, 2008 05:09PM
Posted by: Great.M.Surfer
As the title says, what's the trick? I've looked in the layer section but don't know how and what. It is pointless for me to explain it for Photoshop as I use Paint Shop Pro 7 :)

Thanks in advance
Re: How to make Alpha's in PSP 7?
Date: November 04, 2008 05:20PM
Posted by: Excalibur
I use Photoshop CS3 but it is similar in Paint Shop Pro. So here is a tutorial with Paint shop pro ...Hope this will help you!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 05:28PM by Excalibur.
Date: November 04, 2008 05:39PM
Because I can finish this then ;-)

Date: November 04, 2008 08:36PM
Posted by: airefresco
I´ll shortcut that tutorial for you.

Create a new image the same size as your texture (512 x 512, or whatever). Paint your alpha on there in grey scale. Or just make it solid grey or something, if you´re want the same reflections all over.

Then. Select your texture window and click MASKS, NEW > From Image. In the source window select the image you just painted the alpha on. Then click OK. Then MASK, SAVE AS ALPHA CHANNEL, and click OK. Then finally MASK, DELETE.

Done, save as a TGA, and there you have your alpha.
Date: November 04, 2008 11:18PM
Can you show it with some pictures? I've done exactly what you said and then I get a kind of grey texture. I suppose that's ok, but what do I need to do with it?
Date: November 05, 2008 09:57AM
Posted by: airefresco
Ok then, here goes

Make the alpha like I said before, So you should have 2 images open, The helmet design and the new alpha that you just created. I´ve not saved the alpha, so it´s called image1.

Now create the mask from the alpha image.

A box will appear with all the available images open to create the mask from. Image1 is the alpha image so select this (or whatever your alpha image is called).

Your main texture image should now be slightly transparent. This means the mask is applied. Now save the mask to the alpha channel.

When the new box open, you should only have 1 thing listed. If there are more then you already have an alpha channel saved. You can delete old alpha layers with the delete button. For now click OK.

It now ask´s you to name it. Just click OK.

Now you have created a mask and saved it to the alpha layer. But you now need to delete the mask, as it is not needed anymore.

When you click delete, a new box appears. Click NO. Otherwise the mask is merged to your image and you have a semi-transparent image.

And that´s it, done. Just save your texture as a TGA.

I´ve got a good mask saved for doing helmet alphas in PSP7, if you want them PM me your email and i´ll send them across.
Date: November 05, 2008 07:54PM
Date: November 05, 2008 08:32PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Airfresco, a big thanx, as I use PSP 7 as well and always wondered how to do this very procedure! :)

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: November 06, 2008 01:57PM
Posted by: fongu
PSP 8 handles alphas in a much easier way - it took me a while to convert to it, but it's much better if its available to you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy