Aaaah! Those were the days, sweet sweet memories :) looks like the good days are returning!

Posted by ralv585 
Re: Aaaah! Those were the days, sweet sweet memories :)
Date: October 26, 2008 10:49PM
Posted by: Ruboy
I agree with Laurent and Tero: I probably spend 90% of my GP4 time for track editing and maybe only 10% for playing :)
Love doing a 100% race with a good mod from time to time but somehow I always feel that some track needs modifcations ;)

I also played GP2 a lot in the past days and skipped GP3 because my old PC could not handle it anyway. I always loved the GP series, nevertheless I got it a bit later in 2003 from a friend of mine. The CD I have is still his, but he does not play anymore and never asked for it...so I am still keeping it 'safe' at my house ;)
I always was focused on tracks and I liked grabbing a piece of paper and designing different layouts and adding things like runoff areas, grandstands, roads, marshall gaps, etc. In 2005 it became possible to build own tracks for the first time and so I could finally exploit my creativity :)
The rest is constant progress of Lo2k great tools and increasing quality of tracks :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 10:51PM by Ruboy.
Date: October 27, 2008 07:47AM
Posted by: msater
Martin, exactly the same as me, but with cars, not tracks. I have a template of a F1 car, that I drew, and I draw liveries on them. Then I choose the best ones and make them!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
I remember I was off school sick the day GP4 was released, so I marched my mum out the front foor and off to GAME in Norwich to pick me up a copy for £35 lol! I also remember the disappointment later that day when I realised just how poor my (old) computer really was! ;) It didn't replace GP3 until February/March 2003 when I got my second computer which was able to run it, and since then I've never looked back. :) Me and (my best mate) Adam used to skive college, an hour walk back to my house just to play GP4 before walking back another hour so he could get his bus home lol!

And nowadays, I'm on my 3rd computer which plays GP4 pretty damn good (but not good enough to run the W300 mod... ;)) and I've just completed a championship using te 1995 mod, and I won it by 5 points....IN A FORTI FORD!!! ;);)

Now I need a 1996 mod in which I make a dramatic move to Williams to replace Coulthard... ;-)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 27, 2008 01:05PM
Posted by: MrRace
10 years ago, in January 1998 I had my first experience with an Geoff Grammond GP Game, here my GP-Game Story:

In June 2002 my father bought me the game. I have experience with GP I, II, III and III 2000 season before. With GP4 my GP-Series is completely. I was surprised that GP4 have a onbordcamera of each car and GPS measuring tracks (only F1 Racing had GPS tracks too). In school-holidays I've done racing with family and friends names in the game in a complete championship like fallrace, winterrace, easterrace / springrace, summerrace. I found some bugs like the CTD.

In march 2003 I found some tools and updates for GP4 and a 2002 season update in the internet, that I downloaded about 4 hours! In the middle of the night I installed this and hope, my GP4 works like before. I was happy to have newer cars and the original adverts in the game. One or two months later, I found an 2003 carset and install it, after each race weekend, Ricardo Lampert made an actually Track, that I downloaded and istalled. I updated some cars the next months till end 2003. In this time, I had no CTD or sometimes.

In 2004 I download the newest cars and tracks and my first experience with tweakers and the GPxPatch. Play GP4 with no CD.

2005 came the first beta tracks and the possibility to create own tracks for GP4 like in GP3 before, only with a much better graphic. You can drive a race there but after finish a CTD was following, so I use the old tracks. I get a new much better computer and I can play GP4 with maximum settings!

In January 2006 I had an motherboard problem on my PC and I can't play. And in the rest of 2006 and 2007 I had another interests. But in March 2008 till now I play GP4 every day! And I can't believe which possibilitys today we have with GP4. Create realistic Tracks, they're working and complete carsets of nearly actual seasons and another series that's great! Not only a formula one game.
But complete carsets of actual 2008 season are not relesed yet, You can get actual cars and install like the old way that I do in 2003 - 2005. So I have to wait for a carset that works with csm. I found out another carsets have some bugs when they work with csm too.

I hope, GP4 will stay a long time, and when I see that KTC is working on a realistic Singapore Night Track, I looking happy into the future of GP4

Maybe we can create a brand new GP4 with some other skills like a Safety Car in a Race or an installation lap before start maybe dreams come true!
Date: October 27, 2008 02:18PM
Posted by: red 5
Ok, my time.

Early autumn 1993, my father bought me F1GP. I used to play it day and night. Forgot about the school, forgot about friends, my eyes went red, my fingers grew blisters. Than father came and locked the PC. The PC remained locked untill spring 1995.
then I played it again but with less intensity. Then I discovered indycar form papyrus played that for a while, but as soon as early autumn 1996 got back to microprose. Why? because GP2 was released.
Than everything repeated as with F1GP, I neglected school, friends, personal hygiene, sat behind PC 24/7. Father came. Took PC to unknown place.(new PC didnt have lock)
Autumn 1997 PC returned. Internet arrived. whoooaaaa. carsets, new tracks... that site called alpha F1, guy called PK Arnall that made add ons that kept me playing and playing, and playing, than father came. Took PC. Game over.
Spring 2002 I moved to another city because I enrolled colleague and became my own man with my own PC that nobody could take away. Got GP3. Played, played, played. And then I got fed up. Uninstalled Gp3. Game over.
Spring 2005 I rediscovered GP3, found some new carsets, played, played got fed up around summer 2007. Uninstalled.
Summer 2008 I got GP4, installed Zaz tools, mods, trackpack (ATM downloading DTM trackpack to accompany FR Nec 2007), standard FPS and PO problems, and finding it difficult to play on laptop, and keyboard. My old PC cannot handle it, it gives me something like 450% PO. Laptop is good around 55% during race and 120-130% at race starts and during pitstops.
This forums were usefull so far. And Zaz tools (Y). without those two I dont know if I would ever manage to install any of the updates.

after i purchased a new computer in march 2004 i wanted to purchase a good f1 game, as in the past i had used GP2 briefly, EA F1 2001 and MGPRS2. The choices were F1 Challenge 99-02 or Grand Prix 4. As these games were quite old (and it was before the GP4 'Classics' edition was released) it was hard to find either game. However, eventually i found GP4 at a local store and purchased it happily.

Around this time i started to look what was available for GP4. This is when i found this site, although i did not register until June 2004. I was impressed with the 2004 cars already being made and released, with modders such as Bojan, Nicola, Enzojz, Ross, Wai, Erwin, Guyon producing quality works. I struggled at first to understand how to add cars to the wads, with WadUpdater at the time. I still use wads today, and probably for this reason - i started off that way and i am completely confident how to use them, so why not continue with it.

However, i soon got my first car into the game, the Walrus Williams of that year. I was really happy to have achieved this, and i then enjoyed adding more cars, building my skills as i went. I enjoyed following the progression of the game, with new authors coming and some leaving. The quality of the works produced in this community has never ceased to amaze me. Who would have thought back in 2004 that track making was so accessible, and we would still have such a strong community. Whether or not this is because no-one has released a complete F1 game on the PC since then remains to be seen, but i am sure Codemasters will need to do one hell of a job to beat this game!

My first released works for GP4 were Loading Screens and Onboard Camera Sets in 2004 and again in 2005. In early 2006 i started using Paint.NET and this allowed me to start with some basic texture editing. I first started with track specific car liveries, i think the Williams Imola special livery was first. Around this time, Ricardo Lampert was reducing his role in the community, and as i always liked having up to date tracks, i started updating tracks sponsors. Some of the early tracks (for personal use at this stage) were Barcelona and Magny-Cours. I continued improving my skills in both areas, one of my first major car liveries was the 555 Honda. Later that season i released my first tracks, hi-res updates for Barcelona, Monaco and Hungaroring. Much of this early work was inspired by the works of Caelan and Ricardo Lampert as mentioned earlier. Despite various liveries for personal use, especially early in the season before cars were released, at this point i focused on track making.

In 2007 i had no original plans to make a trackpack, but i was making each individual track throughout the year anyway, so i thought it would be great to share my works with the community. My trackmaking skills are still improving even today, and this is why i am again working on a 2008 trackpack, to put to use my improved skills.

In terms of actually playing the game, i would agree somewhat. For me, it would be about 65% working on and 35% playing. With the computer i had from 2004 to mid 2008, i had to sacrifice driving the game for the highest level of graphics. this meant i spent large amounts of time simulating seasons and races in the director mode. this was enjoyable, and one of the best features of the game in my opinion to be able to do this. starting in 2007 i would also put this into an excel spreadsheet, and for the first time - run a race on almost every non f1 track available at the time.

However, with my new computer in july 2008, i was able to start driving in gp4 much more often, which i enjoyed. i'm not the fastest driver, and make many mistakes, but its the fun which is important.

Even more important than this however, is the friends and relationships i have made over the years. It has been great to associate with people who i rate so highly such as b-tone, gildoorf, ruboy, ttm and many others. this is of course not to mention the relationship i have had with paolo and my time at GP4 World. i first had contact with paolo in 2006 asking for a vodafone logo funnily enough, and since then and with the opening of gp4 world in october 2006, it has been great to work together with him on various issues, as well as all the staff there. Earlier this year i was honoured to join the MMG/GP4 modding team, amongst some of the people i respect very higly; paolo, gezere, diego and of course jurgen. all of these people have made the GP4 community a pleasure to be a part of, and i hope i can remain part of and contribute where i can in the future.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 27, 2008 05:05PM
Posted by: gildoorf
Ok, my turn:

Late 80`s: Atari´s Enduro and creating tracks on canvas :)

1990-1994: Megadrive´s Super Monaco GP

1993-1994: World Circuit at my girlfriend´s home. There was passwords to get into :P Not her, the game itself hahaha

1994-2000: GP2, and first experiences to MOD gaming

2000-2003: GP3, first F1 championship and 1000 tracks by Bellini and Scadurra... There is a "Tunnel Track" wow!!!!!

2004: GP4, just for playing

2005: First experience with track editing and contacts to Jimbob, Lo2k and Ricardo Lampert

2005: Üqbar first version and first beta testing to 3dBuilder by Laurent.

2005-2008: Many releases, and some achievements such as crossing sections at Pasargada, Trackdata supporting elevations changes for Piranema, Double layouts for one single wad with Dubai, one month track for AMS...

2007 (looping)... [f1virtual.blogspot.com] released with my brillant fellow mate Paulo Rocks Blanco!

2009: First F1 track released (2008 based)

2010: All new tracks I want to change, changed and released...

2015: Track Editing retirement (I´ll be 40, and two kids to raise :) Surely all F1 tracks will be Tilke´s and I´m not keen for re-create his Sillydromes, not even historical venues)

2015...: creating tracks on canvas THE END

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 05:13PM by gildoorf.
ok guys, this thread is funny, so i try to remember.

once upon a time my buddy starts to drive a real motocross bike. we met alot of people,
and one of them became our friend. one day, he told he´s playing formula 1 on his amiga 500.
or was it an c64? however. i think it was around the early ninetees. he showed me that
stunning game, my eyes started to plop out of my head! WOW, thrilling! i was able to race
a formula one car out of the cockpit perspective on the real tracks!!! whoooo...

my interest was fully broken out. i discovered in a store a green cd, called
grand prix 2 addons. addons for what? grand prix 2??? i was chasing that game and finally,
it find a good warm home on my harddisc. wow, what a step ahead! with addon tracks and
setups. the ai was really hard and brilliant. now it was possible to find out whos riding
in front of you by looking at the car! :P whooo again!

than i saw a preview clip of grand prix 3. OH MY GOSH! the wheels in 3D!!! do you see them
turning!!! and the cars were able to flip! to crash your wing of by colliding with debris!
brilliant, much more than the other ones. ;) i started to create some bodys for ferrari.
tried my first paintjobs. and was happy to show the red baron who´s the best! and than the
dynamic weather!!!! what a simulation! everything i needed this time.

but one day, i was bored with that game. i discovered the ea titles and some minor relaeases of
guys who thought they can pull my money out of my jacket. and they were right. one day the next
evolution was there, GRAND PRIX 4. i call it the mother of sim racing. the best formula 1 racing
sim out there, still these days. started to mod some days, made a new cockpit and steeringwheels.
that was fun and satisfying to see the games progress due to the community. i rember alot of people
who were bashing crammond for gp3 and gp4. this made his descicion to end with such games, for such
a thankless crowd. years after releasing gp4 we are able to see, which mastepiece grand prix 4 is.

now, that we have GRAND PRIX 5, we should be very thankful to mr crammond and pray to the gods of
F1 that geoff wants to give us a new sim. also lets thank all the modders who are enabling such
works and experiences.

cheers. ;)

btw: it seems, we can download the old grand prix games and more here. test it careful!
Link Removed

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 09:21PM by mortal.
Date: October 27, 2008 11:11PM
Posted by: mortal
I remember I was off school sick the day GP4 was released, so I marched my mum out the front door and off to GAME in Norwich to pick me up a copy for £35 lol!

Hahahahaha!! Brilliant.

and red5, please put us in touch with your Dad! :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 28, 2008 12:47PM
Date: October 27, 2008 11:11PM
Posted by: mortal (IP Logged)

and red5, please put us in touch with your Dad!

ROFL black humor arriving...

... contact him at ivan@heaven.god if there is no response try at ivan@hell.god

//seriously, he is alive an well thank god, but he is in prison, serving penalty for stealing PC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 12:47PM by red 5.
Date: October 29, 2008 04:52PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I remember seeing this tv shop program that had GP2 and a wheel, and about 2 years after only being able to watch it on tv I got my dad to buy me GP2 in 1998 and I was completely obsessively addicted. I split my time between FIFA 98 and GP2, winning way too many championships with different cars (wasn't at high difficulty but it was my first time ever playing such game). In 2002 I got GP3 and was doing a season as Rubinho in the Stewart but never got to finish it, and then never got around playing as much after a while with school here in the US. In the summer of 2003 as I was going away to uni my dad got me a laptop and I'd be able to run GP4 for the 1st time, so I found this forum and joined officially (registered) in June 2003, making 2 posts in about 3 months ;).

I'd constantly update stuff and try to optimize performance, but then got busy with school stuff and F1C came out and I joined a GPG league for a little while. I never got around doing a whole season in GP4 and I believe I didn't run a single lap in a couple of tracks as well, and when Prototype C came out for F1C I moved away from F1 games until a new 2004 season was released by Ralph Hummerich and CTDP. But F1C got on my nerves and I tried GP4 again but the limitations always bugged me and I just gave up playing in 2005, then made a few real life helmets (started with a Irvine 2001 helmet because Byron made a nasty F1C conversion, and then he leeched my GP4 helmet and released as his own ;)). I did also upload a Gené 2005 helmet and Senna helmet, both in very high res at the time (1024x512) and I did so many logos by hand, was a pain. Then there were the fantasy leagues like w300 and WGP where I painted helmets for people and my cars, and then my last real work was a François Cévert helmet that I never released, and then gave up on trying to run GP4 without getting upset by it.
Date: November 03, 2008 06:41PM
Posted by: LS.
stifflers mum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> btw: it seems, we can download the old grand prix
> games and more here. test it careful!
> Link Removed

Thankyou so much for posting this link, it takes me right back to when i got my first ever PC and played alone in the dark by infogrammes and had never seen anything quite like it before in my life!!

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 09:21PM by mortal.
Date: November 04, 2008 03:05PM
Posted by: Vader
stifflers mum Wrote:
> ok guys, this thread is funny, so i try to
> remember.
>
> once upon a time my buddy starts to drive a real
> motocross bike. we met alot of people,
> and one of them became our friend. one day, he
> told he´s playing formula 1 on his amiga 500.
> or was it an c64? however. i think it was around
> the early ninetees. he showed me that
> stunning game, my eyes started to plop out of my
> head! WOW, thrilling! i was able to race
> a formula one car out of the cockpit perspective
> on the real tracks!!! whoooo...
>
> [sparetomato.com]
> 8/03/f1gp-4.png
>
> my interest was fully broken out. i discovered in
> a store a green cd, called
> grand prix 2 addons. addons for what? grand prix
> 2??? i was chasing that game and finally,
> it find a good warm home on my harddisc. wow, what
> a step ahead! with addon tracks and
> setups. the ai was really hard and brilliant. now
> it was possible to find out whos riding
> in front of you by looking at the car! :P whooo
> again!
>
> [web.tiscali.it]
> prix_2-1.jpg
>
> than i saw a preview clip of grand prix 3. OH MY
> GOSH! the wheels in 3D!!! do you see them
> turning!!! and the cars were able to flip! to
> crash your wing of by colliding with debris!
> brilliant, much more than the other ones. ;) i
> started to create some bodys for ferrari.
> tried my first paintjobs. and was happy to show
> the red baron who´s the best! and than the
> dynamic weather!!!! what a simulation! everything
> i needed this time.
>
> [www.juegomania.org]
> ix+3+2000+Season/foto/pc/7/7768/7768_t.jpg/Foto+Ge
> off+Crammonds+Grand+Prix+3+2000+Season.jpg
>
> but one day, i was bored with that game. i
> discovered the ea titles and some minor relaeases
> of
> guys who thought they can pull my money out of my
> jacket. and they were right. one day the next
> evolution was there, GRAND PRIX 4. i call it the
> mother of sim racing. the best formula 1 racing
> sim out there, still these days. started to mod
> some days, made a new cockpit and steeringwheels.
> that was fun and satisfying to see the games
> progress due to the community. i rember alot of
> people
> who were bashing crammond for gp3 and gp4. this
> made his descicion to end with such games, for
> such
> a thankless crowd. years after releasing gp4 we
> are able to see, which mastepiece grand prix 4
> is.
>
> [guti.bitacoras.com]
> 4.jpg
>
> now, that we have GRAND PRIX 5, we should be very
> thankful to mr crammond and pray to the gods of
> F1 that geoff wants to give us a new sim. also
> lets thank all the modders who are enabling such
> works and experiences.
>
> [img.photobucket.com]
> 422brazil.jpg
>
> cheers. ;)
>
> btw: it seems, we can download the old grand prix
> games and more here. test it careful!
> [www.abandonia.com]
> and+Prix.html

Gp3 had no damage through debris, this came first with Gp3 2000.

The old Gran Prix games are still copyrighted material. Any site featuring them as "abandonware" in fact offers warez. Links to these sites cannot be tolerated on these forums. However, the link you provided doesn't seem to have any of the Grand Prix games.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 04, 2008 03:41PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Vader, tell your story! Or be banned!:D

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Vader schrieb:
> Gp3 had no damage through debris, this came first
> with Gp3 2000.

ok, i am guilty. ;)

> The old Gran Prix games are still copyrighted
> material. Any site featuring them as "abandonware"
> in fact offers warez. Links to these sites cannot
> be tolerated on these forums. However, the link
> you provided doesn't seem to have any of the Grand
> Prix games.

do you think so? dont know. should i remove that link?
i mean, its not possible to get this games these days,
and i payed for it. once upon a time. :P
Date: November 04, 2008 05:10PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I still got all of my boxes in pretty much perfect condition :). But since I could only afford GP2 quite a while after it came out, it was already being sold only in the small CD case with the big chunky manual booklet in it.
Date: November 04, 2008 09:03PM
Not being able to buy them doesn't touch copyrights. Technically something like abnadonware doesn't exist. It is either freeware/public domain or you have to pay for it. Abandonware gets tolerated most of the time, yet legally it is still warez.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 05, 2008 05:10PM
Is knowledge also subject of copyright?

red 5 Wrote:
> Is knowledge also subject of copyright?

It can be I think in some form. Intellectual Property Rights is the copyright of knowledge in some way right?

I really don't know but I'm sure someone on here who has a better take on the law will say so.
Date: November 05, 2008 11:25PM
red 5 Wrote:
> Is knowledge also subject of copyright?

I have probably known about the legal status of "abandonware" before you could spell i-n-t-e-r-n-e-t.

Aoart from that:

ROFLMAO, your post was sooooo funny. I love yout humour.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy