Aaaah! Those were the days, sweet sweet memories :) looks like the good days are returning!

Posted by ralv585 
Re: Aaaah! Those were the days, sweet sweet memories :)
Date: November 08, 2008 07:14AM
Posted by: SpaceAce

i think this is how far back i go

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 20, 2008 05:58PM
Posted by: fongu
I'd always loved F1 games since around 1994 - on the snes I played Exhaust Heat and Pole Position F1 (and Nigel Mansell's game in hospital!).

I guess I started on the old Revs game, one car, one track (old silverstone, was great because it was the most sim like game that I could find - took me forever to learn how not to spin the car!

I first found GP2 at my friends house, and loved it, and my mum got me a copy of F1GP a few months later. Loved it but missed having GP2, because it was 94 season. Ended up getting GP2 & GPManager2 which was great, loved them both. I discovered a wealth of updates on the web, and tinkered with a few updates myself but never uploaded.

Got GP3 fairly soon after it was out (having been disappointed with games like F197 on the PS1). Wet weather! How cool! Loved it - and updates as well. Again tinkered a little with updating myself, but Ralph Hummerich did fantastic works. Never bothered with GP3 2k as I had all the updates I needed from the web.

Again got GP4 not long after it was out, and was dissapointed! Major plus was different carshapes, but I couldn't run it on its lowest setting, driving was nowhere near as fun as GP3. But i discovered this forum and didn't post for a long time. Got the game running, found some amazing cars from BMWfan & Enzo and Matt & Nic & Bojan and also Erix and Duco (where is he?!). 2003 was when we started seeing the quality increase exponentially, and come 2004 I decided I needed to get in on the modding act. So I learned zmodeler, tinkered with other people's stuff to begin with, and it wasn't really until around 2005 til I created my cars from scratch - and learn to paint as well. Never has another F1 game come close to this to date I think on the PC, and I think it will be a shame the day I lay it to rest.

Date: November 20, 2008 07:33PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Yes, no other F1 games was close to GP4 and there probably won't be in the near future :( The only game that could be as good as and better would be GP5 .. but that's utopian ;)

Date: November 20, 2008 07:51PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, they are my thoughts as well.

however, it will still be fascinating to see what codies can come up with next year!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 21, 2008 11:52AM
I think it will certainly look good I think, but it depends whether or not the driving will annoy me or not - all I hope is that it will run on my PC, Race demo didn't :(

Date: November 21, 2008 02:32PM
Posted by: J-C
With my new pc im pritty sure it will run like milk
especially with the water cooler system i put into
and got higher than 4800mhz cpu speed with 45nm technology :) :) :)

07 No Tsm Track Pack__GPGSL08 Mod__range">97 TeamArt
Tutorial how to compile a No Csm Mod
Date: November 24, 2008 09:03PM
Posted by: fisico04
well, the legend of all games has brought me back to this website after 3 years away!! I remember getting gp4..it was on a special xmas deal at game for £10...so i snapped it up without thinking if it would work on my pc, lol.....thank god it did!! Playing the first time i was amazed at the difference between this and gp3, and couldnt get enough of it, doing full races and championships untill the early hours of the morning!! After a few months i stumbled across this website, and was just amazed at the editing that was possible (how thats changed aswell)....although i was really dubius as i didnt want to ruin the family comp,lol, so didnt change my gp4 for ages. Anyways, i got the gp42003 mod installed and played that for a long time before me and flash decided to start the btcc mod back in april 04. progress was good at first and we were looking good for a 2005 release with the help of kizz and fred (and any others, sorry if i forgot you), but then diaster....flash lost a family member, and i had my own health issues (some of you may remember that topic?!?) and the btcc mod eventually stopped!! For the rest of 2005 and the next 3 years, gp4 dissapeared from my rader, i lost all love for it, but a couple of months ago i found the box, dusted it off and installed it....THE LOVE WAS BACK!!

And seeing all the progress that editing has taken has just fueled my desire to play this!! without you guys, the 100's of people that give up their time to continue to modify and strive to improve it, we can enjoy an 8 year old game thats more up-to-date than the latest offerings on any console system!!

LONG LIVE GP4

---------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

Its Time For Some Old-Skool GP4 Fun Again

---------------------------------------------------------
Date: December 05, 2008 11:04PM
Posted by: torana_05
heres my story i remember back in early 97 seeing the add for gp2 in f1 racing and trying to chase it down in every computer store in my town and adventually finding one after a few weeks. me and my brother used to go down to the library were they had a reference book of all f1 races to date and we used to copy the names down from each season and add the to the out of the box game, so even though senna raced a mclaren he would be driving the out of the box bennetton just renamed mclaren. we made so many season even extending out to make 87 bathurst names. i remeber doing a 100% race at monza with steve soper in the texaco seirra in the williams car. when my brother started going to hihgschool he found out the magical thing of the internet and keyed in grand prix 2 and found a wonderful site by marc arts called grandprix2.com. well you can just imagine what we were like. dad finally got the internet even though it was incredably slow. we finally got gp2 edit and downloaded the season carsets, i still have them backed up on floopy. then we started downloading the tracks but for some reason they were all grey????, wtf. so we decided to fragata track manager, it took us hours to download even though it was 4mb. after fragata every thing was sweet. i never got gp3 as i thought it wasn't as good as gp2 plus our computer couldn't handle it, with is upgraded to the max 1 gb of harddrive space!!!!!, so i kept racing gp2 until we got a new computer and even then no gp3. then one day i found gp4 in f1 racing, sounds familiar, went out and bought it. i wondered if the same thing could be done with gp4 as it was with gp2.i found this site, alphaf1/gp4.com and gpx carpainting. i updated gp4 manually until the gp4italia 2003 mod came out. man i was a pro at using gp4 master. i used to get the computer teacher at school to download new mods and tracks for me at the end of the month if they had space left on the download limit. i used to read the gp4 forums and f1 forums since about 2002 and i finally registered in 2006. i remember it was great in the early days still many people were around form the gp2 days, lo2k, marc arts, rene. its just amazing compared what the out of the box gp4 looked like and what it looks like now. it sad to see that the community is having fight like these please sort it out so that people who are just comming to gp4 can have awesome memmories like mine. ohh and by the way my gp2 box still has the funny smell

Date: December 24, 2008 10:23PM
Posted by: Dahie

Hacing my first PC, it was still too weak for modern F1-games, so I am content with F1GP, which I loved.

F1 Racing Simulation looked nice, but I went for GP2 and loved it.

1998/1999

GP2edit is cool, so many carsets to play with!

1999-2001

And then GP3, loved it, GP3edit, my first painting attempts. Benetton & Williams 1997, Ferrari 1993, my first own cars. Wirked with Jan Frischkorn on season 1998. Did many fantasy cars. Joined RaceCar in 2000.

GP4 released, looked good, hard to paint at that time, new challenges, learned Photoshop, Zmodeler, Modelling. Designed Fantasy-cars and my RaceCars. Was good driving, but I didn't drive as much as GP3.

Won GPxCarpainting painting contesst with RaceCar. Released RC-14. Joined CTDP.

Jury for the next GPxCarpainting contest. Paintet first real cars since 2000. Released Jaguar 03, Jordan 03, BAR 04, Williams 04, Jaguar 04.

Slowly siwtched to F1Challenge. Didn't play it, but mod for it due to CTDP. More cars that year were Minardi 04 and Williams 04 B-version.

Gone from GP4, no time for more car conversions.
Worked for CTDP 2005: BAR, Toyota, Redbull, Minardi, several Fantasy-cars

In october I switched to rFactor and it gave me first good driving times in some time.

CTDP moved to rFactor, released F1 2005.
Work for CTDP 2006: Toyota, BMW

Work for CTDP 2006 for rFactor: McLaren, Toro Rosso
Some bit of work on Monaco 2006 by CTDP.

Work for CTDP 2006 for rFactor: DDS-Utilities
Some fun driving the mod :)

we will see

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
fongu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it will certainly look good I think, but
> it depends whether or not the driving will annoy
> me or not - all I hope is that it will run on my
> PC, Race demo didn't :(

If you mean race driver grid demo.. it did not work for me either but the full game did. Maybe you should try? :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Date: January 14, 2009 03:34PM
maybe, but I'm having major computer problems at the moment :(

Date: January 18, 2009 11:50AM
Posted by: Willb
:( Whats up with it Fongu?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: January 19, 2009 02:54PM
windows corrupted some of my config files on startup and in trying to fix it (without a XP pro disc I've lost in moving house) I've messed up some other files. Also the hard drive is on its last legs so it keeps locking up when I try and access it, so I'll need to back all that up!

well, Raul, that sucks... Im writing this message on my PS3 right now cause I still don't have gotten my computer back :( However, about Codemasters upcoming F1 game.. I think they have some pressure to do a good game, and yes it will look good. But they really need to make it a simulationgame, or else it won't sell well.. I think all real "F1 players" want a racinggame as realistic as possible and they will just be stupid if they won't consider that.... they will be really stupid if they make it like GRID physics! ;)

Date: January 23, 2009 11:35PM
I'm Kev ;-)

whoops, sorry Kev :)

so, when is this game of the codemasters going to be release. or at least the demo?
late this year I think.. they have not set an releasedate yet

Date: February 14, 2009 01:40AM
Posted by: darrenj
Wow I've been here for some time npw since GP3 actually. Well what can I say GP4 and the GP4 forums have been some of the best things to do. I have been playing a lot of other more modern games but I will always have a place on my PC for this game. I wonder how the 2009 mods are coming along. As for GP5? Don't thing so.
The next iteration has to be Codemaster's run at F1, as they now have the right from F1 to make an official game. The GRID engine is fantastic.

===========================================================================
Core i7 920@ 3.8, 3x2gig DDR3 ram, GA X58 UD5 mobo, Powercolor ATI HD 5850 1gig, Cheiftec 750W, CM HAF 922 case.
Shop lifters of the world, unite and take over.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy