Re: GP4 on Linux
Date: November 12, 2020 02:13AM
Posted by: MobileChicane
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had some success recently getting ZaZ Tools
> to run on Linux:

> and yes, the modded game runs...

Thanks for the report of success, it convinced me to keep trying. I can get pretty much the same results with wine 5.0.2 (32-bit, but running on a 64-bit kernel). The issues I have are that:

1. I can't install a new carset in CSM: after prompting me for the folder name to install it in, I don't get any of the output from extracting the .cuh file that should normally appear, it just seems to hang there doing nothing and I have to kill it. Maybe sometime I should just leave it for a really long time in case it's just really slow and not giving me the output until the end, unlike when it's run under Windows. I worked around this by creating a D: in wine which I installed the game to, then mounted that as a shared folder in a VirtualBox VM so I can do the carset install from Windows.

Noog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a go with CSM recently (after overriding a
> couple of the dx9 files in wine) and I got it to
> go a step further than I had previously, ie I too
> could load a mod, but each time I clicked the
> mod's configurables button it crashed (something
> to do with an inability to display the graphics) -
> at which point I gave up again.

I don't get a crash when trying to pick configurables, but I don't see any graphics either.

3. When I go into "GpXPatch's settings of the mod", in most cases it doesn't actually update the window properly and I can't see them, but it does normally show a bit of the gpxpatch interface, and if I hold the mouse button down on the "Edit key binds..." button but then drag my mouse off it, so that that button becomes selected, I can hit Ctrl-Tab to cycle through the tabs and that makes them redraw. Alternatively, the further I drag the CSM window from where it initially appears, the more of the gpxpatch window is visible. I'm using an old inst-gpxpatch393.exe here.

So then with this setup, the base game and the 1979 mod both work fairly well except sometimes the CPU occupancy jumps up to a few hundred in a corner when there are other cars around (but not at the start of the race so it's not just about having other cars around), but the 1982, 1988 and 1995 mods are all completely unusable (CPU occupancy constantly in the thousands). Neither of those problems can be solved by turning the graphics settings down to minimum so I don't have any idea what is going on!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy