No cd drive

Posted by arcademik 
No cd drive
Date: May 09, 2020 12:39PM
Posted by: arcademik
So after a long time away I've rediscovered Grand Prix series again, and I'm loving it. Have GP4 (and GP2) working on my windows machine but I'm trying and failing desperately to get GP4 working on my Chromebook. i5 8th Gen, 8gb ram so I think the machine itself is fine. I've seen a video running it in android but no joy for me. I have it getting to a load screen with crossover but I can't get it to run. I'm aware a potential problem could be lack of a cd drive and to be honest I can't figure a way around it.

It feels like I'm so close....but so far. I'm hoping there might be someone here who might be able to advise me on whether I'll be able to get GP4 working on my Chromebook.

(I have got GP2 going via dosbox but the keyboard controls are a bit iffy and at the moment I have a few quirks which aren't floating my boat)
Re: No cd drive
Date: May 09, 2020 12:42PM
Posted by: Carl_gpgames

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
Date: May 09, 2020 04:15PM
Posted by: arcademik
Thanks for that, had seen it previously but obviously I have a Chromebook and not a windows pc.....which was sort of my problem. I was hoping someone had figured a way on Chrome os, Android or Linux with a limitation of not having a cd drive
Date: November 12, 2020 01:42AM
Posted by: MobileChicane
Apologies for digging up this old post, I'm looking for Linux-related posts since I have some issues on Linux, and found this recent-ish unanswered one:

> I was hoping someone had figured a way on Chrome os, Android or Linux with a limitation of not having a cd drive

Mounting an .iso file on Linux is something you can find instructions for online. I did something a bit more automated for my setup with Wine and Q4Wine:

1. In my "WINEPREFIX" directory (the directory Q4Wine sets that environment variable to point to - the directory containing "dosdevices" and "drive_c" sub-directories) I added a new sub-directory called "drive_z".
2. Using Q4Wine, I launched winecfg in/with that prefix so I could configure that prefix. In the "Drives" tab, I added a drive letter "Z:" pointing to target folder "../drive_z" (so it looks much like C: does but with the letter changed in the folder). I clicked "Show Advanced" and in the "Type" drop-down list I picked "CD-ROM".
3. I put a script to mount my .iso file at drive_z (but only if it's not already mounted) in my prefix directory:

#!/bin/sh
MOUNTPOINT=/home/username/GP4/drive_z
if [[ ! -f $MOUNTPOINT/GP4.exe ]]; then
fuseiso /path/to/GP4.iso $MOUNTPOINT
fi

4. I created icons in Q4Wine for starting GP4 and CSM. In the "Scripts" tab for the icons, I set the "Pre run" script to the location of the above script.

I assume you could do something similar in Crossover. You don't even have to do the part with the script and having it run automatically of course. And you don't need to use fuseiso to mount the .iso, there are other methods but that is the most convenient as it doesn't require root access or sudo.

However I think that installing the decrypted GP4.exe as required for CSM or gpxpatch (or whatever it was that requested that) made the requirement for the .iso to be mounted go away because I no longer have that script running and I can still play!

> (I have got GP2 going via dosbox but the keyboard
> controls are a bit iffy and at the moment I have a
> few quirks which aren't floating my boat)

Can you play it with maximum detail in SVGA in DOSBox? I can't, so I tried playing under VirtualBox, but the performance is too jumpy - GP2 expects to get 100% CPU time but a modern OS gives it a varying amount of CPU time and I find that the game speeds up and slows down too much. I tried dosemu2 and it was even worse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy