How Dare Somebody Say GP4 Is Graphically Poor

Posted by Glyn 
How Dare Somebody Say GP4 Is Graphically Poor
Date: June 29, 2002 09:31AM
Posted by: Glyn
Someone, who will remain nameless that I know claimed GP4's graphics are the only good thing about the game, and compared to todays standards are quite poor.

Oh really?

F1 2002 - by the mighty EA Sports

Grand Prix 4 - by Geoff and his team

Re: How Dare Somebody Say GP4 Is Graphically Poor
Date: June 29, 2002 09:35AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
to me f1 2002 looks much better than gp4 there.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: June 29, 2002 09:37AM
but still bloody amazing

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 29, 2002 09:44AM
Posted by: _Alex_
LOL!

How far apart are those grid markings on F1 2002!? It looks ridiculous! Gp4 looks indescribebly better in those two shots. The graphics in Gp4 look so much more solid, and the track layout for a start is so much better. The start and finish straight at Silverstone is nowhere near as wide as it looks on F1 2002. They've got it all wrong.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 29, 2002 09:48AM
Posted by: LS.
to be honest, both games are good graphically, why not enjoy both?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 29, 2002 09:50AM
But look at the CARS. gp4 still isnt right. I'm not saying f1 2002 has perfect cars (far from it) but the liveries look much better.
The track texture of gp4 is so basic, whereas the f1 2002 shot has good texture, considering it is the grid...where they start the race from, and therefore lots of rubber is laid down.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: June 29, 2002 10:06AM
The tarmac textures do look better in F1 2002, but in those screenies F1 2002 has the graphics maxed out where in GP4 im missing enviromental lighting and only using medium 16 bit textures.

I have to agree though, the tracks in F1 2002 are too wide.

I don't think no-one is really saying that GP4 is graphically poor. The general view is that the graphic engine is neither ground breaking or state of the art. The main gripe is the frame rate which is the single most important thing in a GP game. The graphic engine is flawed and poorly implemented, but if they can improve the frame rates and the glitches in the current engine then I am sure that the vast majority of users will be more than satsified.

Stuart Ferris
Date: June 29, 2002 12:46PM
I agree there, but what Im saying is this guy I know said the actual graphic quality is poor. He really has no idea, I mean, he plays GP2 although GP3 and GP4 are improvements.

Date: June 29, 2002 01:12PM
Posted by: matthewp
the grass and tarmac just look so bad in GP4, the grass looks pretty much the same as GP2 and the tarmac isn't much better. apart from that it looks pretty good.
Date: June 29, 2002 01:38PM
Posted by: Ellis
Again - as in all GPx games - the colours are too bold. Grass and Tarmac looks crap

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 29, 2002 01:56PM
Grass and Tarmac looks crap

i beg to differ mate, you want to see the game running in 1200 x 1600, with full details running inc. bump mapping, it looks absolutely fantastic.
i can attain all this only in practice mode though ( roll on when i have the cash for my GF4 Ti 4600)

the tarmac colour itself could do with altering & the some of the cars look a bit dodgy colourwise eg. jaguar & williams i agree, but these tiny things are easily altered,

another reason to look forward to ralph hummerichs carset.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: June 29, 2002 01:56PM
oops i meant 1600 x 1200 :-s

LS's Tip of the week
Date: June 29, 2002 02:10PM
Posted by: Ellis
Tarmac stationary looks amazing! But moving it dont look as good

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 29, 2002 03:16PM
Posted by: _Alex_
another reason to look forward to ralph hummerichs carset

Perhaps you'd better check out Zcott's thread :';(

Again - as in all GPx games - the colours are too bold. Grass and Tarmac looks crap

I also disagree. The boldness is totally correct and makes it look much more realistic. The grass texture... well, grass looks like that! F1 2002's grass efforts are pathetic. Just look at it in the background! And the tarmac in Gp4, while not looking as nice texture wise as F1 2002, is still more accurate. Since when have you seen a track with black marks all over it like in F1 2002 there? And if they're meant to be shadows then it's baaaaaad.

If you blur your eyes the Gp4 pic could be real. F1 2002 is not as convincing.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 29, 2002 03:57PM
Posted by: Doug
The F1 2002 grid looks more like a karting place I know, the tyre marks, while a good feature, something GP4 would be good having, look too much like one texture repeated again and again and it makes it look bad - better implemeted then it would be great. The grass looks wrong, and Grand Prix 4 has better lighting - to me it looks more like the real thing than F1 2002 just by the way the colours are done (nothing like too bold) and in general the GP4 cars are more convincing. Although I hate staring at the back of a Williams in GP4, I don't really like the GP4 Williams. I'm not rubbishing F1 2002, the visuals are great - but I think GP4 (definitly once the bugs are fixed) is just that bit better in nearly (nearly) every department.

Date: June 30, 2002 03:25AM
I agree there Temnye about the textures look like they repeat themselves. I was going to make that comment myself but just didnt have the time last night - GP4 was waiting :)

Date: July 01, 2002 02:40AM

tarmac textures look ok to me, could do with slightly darkening though

LS's Tip of the week
Date: July 01, 2002 03:15AM
They are passable. They arent so poor they lower the quality of the game, but there again they arent the best.

Date: July 01, 2002 06:56AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
yeah gp4 lox way beta.. jstu nto fussed on the tarmac, needs to be darker or somfin

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC & GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy