Graphics Card Woes

Posted by badgerf1 
Graphics Card Woes
Date: September 05, 2008 01:48PM
Posted by: badgerf1
Hi everyone

So I was very happy this morning to have by nVidia FX5200 256mb gfx card arrive to go in my ex-business HP desktop. Installed no problems at all but GP4 doesn't seem to run much better than it did previously with the onboard video card which is somewhat annoying.

I'm just running the orig game for now, haven't tried the 06 mod yet (killed my machine before) so can anyone advise on what settings I should have on the nVidia control panel and in game?

When on automatic graphics with detail/performance scale at 0 I get 17fps! Would like at least 25 without losing things such as buildings!

Thank you for any help, I'm new to the world of PC gaming after a 6yr break of gp4 and being a mac user mainly!

F1 Badger
Re: Graphics Card Woes
Date: September 05, 2008 04:08PM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
I used to have a GeForce FX5200. Its not just down to your graphics card. Your processor will have to be quite quick too to handle the polygons of the cars. For me though, I remember having 1024x768 @ medium shapes, no rear-view mirror buildings, low pit crews, and no shadows.

Looked crap, but was the only way I could get it to run properly.

Howeverm I'm sure someone will be able to improve on that! :)
Date: September 09, 2008 02:40PM
thanks, the machine is a 2.6ghz P4 with 512mb of ram. I'll be upgrading the ram soon - cheap! so hopefully that will help.
Date: September 09, 2008 05:37PM
Posted by: sunil
increasing RAM won't help u anything better except loading bit faster than before but not graphics.

1.did u calibrated ur graphics ? if yes, try to to delete ur graphics file and try to recalibrate again and see any difference. Change all mirror options in ur graphics file to "0" and make sure the first line is kept 1 in ur graphic file inorder to see changes in game. if u find any good results then slowly change them to "1" one by one until u find difficult again. Mostly change ur resolution 800*600 in order to run in high quality game. In 1024*768 u can't run in high quality.

2.By any chance did u enabled AA and AF in nvidia control panel? if so disable them b'coz this video card CAN"T handle them even with GP4 also.

3.If not the above all then Go to nvidia site and download older driver possible before 90.xx or 80.xx series drivers and try to recalibrate in ur game and check.

4.And also check ur CPU usage in Idle Mode just to check no other programs or AntiVirus software is taking all resources.

try them and reply here

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Date: September 10, 2008 07:39PM
Thanks for all the tips Sunil,

I've upgraded the ram from 512 to 1.5gb anyway and tweaked with the settings as you suggested. I now have the game running at 25fps with all the graphics options on full/high etc, lovely stuff!

Unfortunately the best I can get a modded GP4 to run is 15fps so I'm sticking with the original game for now until I have any spare cash to blow on a dedicated gaming pc.

Thanks again. Here's what you've helped me acheive: [www.rightpalava.com]

HP Compaq d530
P4 2.8ghx
FX5200
1.5gb ram
WinXP sp3
Date: September 10, 2008 10:21PM
Posted by: sunil
your welcome mate.

glad u achieved some good in order to run well. anyway u got some nice setup there. enjoy

even with Modded GP4 u can play with decent frames but u need to adjust some more in graphic file. anyway when u have chance go with better gaming PC .
bye

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy