Now Is A Good Time To Defrag Ya PC

Posted by Glyn 
Date: June 25, 2002 12:30PM
Posted by: Glyn
Everybody has heard of defragging... not many know what is does exactly. So let me explain...

Windows monitors which programs you use most. When you defrag your drive, the most commonly used programs are put at the front of your disk where they can be accessed faster. Naturally, Windows is first in the line, but what is second? Its probably some program you used to use a lot, but don't anymore. So... by my reckoning (as you are all GP4 fans), if you were to defrag now the defrag program should make your HD look like this:

Windows
GP4
Internet Explorer

If it doesn't, you havent been playing enough!

Re: Now Is A Good Time To Defrag Ya PC
Date: June 25, 2002 04:20PM
Posted by: Vader
The main thing about defragging is that after a couple of installations and desinsatllations your HD looks like a piece of swiss cheese. Now everytime you install new files they get put wherever there is place. That means that one file can be fragmeneted all over the place. Accessing such a fragmented file takes naturally longer. Defragging your disc lets files be written again in one piece, so access is faster. There are, however, a few fixed clusters that cannot be moved, mainly system files. It is true, that windows, as the oS you use, has reserved space in the front, the mid and the end-part of your HD (physically). Actually defragging does not care about wihich programmes you use most - it does not even know waht a programme is, since it just cares about single files and how they are spread in clusters over your HD. Defragging will make your system faster - it is a vital part of system care - but does not in particular increase the speed of a single programme just becuase you use GP4 more often then Win Solitaire.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 25, 2002 05:20PM
Posted by: Dudster
I'm not absolutely 100% but I'm pretty sure that defrag also rearranges your programs (exe's and associated files). I think that's what the "Rearrange program files so my programs load quicker" checkbox in defrag options is for. There's a folder in the Windows folder (I'm going off Win9x here) called Applog. I'm pretty sure this is where Windows stores info on your programs and which is used more often. I've seen defrag defrag pretty much entire drives/partitions that were still not apparently fragmented (no gaps till right at the end of the er... data - if any).

I once had a problem with defrag crashing and found something on the MS knowledgebase that had "delete the applog folder" as a possible solution. This didn't cure the crashes but defrag loaded lightning quick.

the rearranging isn't so much of an issue for me as my drives are partitioned. My games partition immediatly follows my OS partition (with swapfile on first partition (FAT16) of another drive on a seperate IDE channel). I reckon GP4 will overtake my other games within the next couple of defrags though. Also, in my experience, GP3 and 4 doesn't really need drive performance whilst playing, unlike F1 2002 I think (though I have got 512MB of RAM :D).
Date: June 25, 2002 05:46PM
Posted by: Morbid
Windows defrag is the old technology that Norton utilities have discarded. Then it is modified slightly and called a Microsoft app. If you want the best defrag get Norton from Symantec. And yes it does sort of rearrange programs according to use.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 26, 2002 02:21AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Is that true? I've never been entirely convinced by Windows defrag because sometimes it takes about 6 hours to complete, other times it takes about 15 minutes, it's terribly inconsistant and sometimes has little effect.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 26, 2002 02:45AM
Windows defrag is indeed useless. Stay away from it like you stay away from hairy babies (erm... ok - ed).

Date: June 26, 2002 03:11AM
Posted by: _Alex_

When you defrag your drive, the most commonly used programs are put at the front of your disk where they can be accessed faster

---->

Windows defrag is indeed useless. Stay away from it like you stay away from hairy babies

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 26, 2002 12:33PM
Whats the point in those quotes alex?

Date: June 26, 2002 01:02PM
Posted by: chris
I think he's saying you went back on your original statement. Feel free to use my sig quote if you want, cos I rely on that condition.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 26, 2002 01:50PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
DEfrag your PC? But i only just beat it on QIII and now you want it to beat me? Or am i getting things muddled up :S

Date: June 27, 2002 09:17AM
qwerty, no need yet, but ill bear that in mind :)

What I mean is you should defrag ya pc, but not with the defragging program that comes with Windows because its useless. Use another one like Nortons which is very good.

Date: June 27, 2002 09:29AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hehe i know...just being a tit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy