Lets not over react

Posted by twgavin 
Lets not over react
Date: June 25, 2002 07:24AM
Posted by: twgavin
OK this won't be very popular - and keep in mind I cannot even get GP4 to Play yet on my sysytem (i presume it's the S3 Pro Savage 8 card which is new -I have a mail into their support desk).
Being in software development I never expected to play GP4 for about a month while the initial bugs got sorted out.
It's inevitable given the complexity of a game this robust.
The GP sims are hands down the best out there, and while one can argue about the degree, the fact is they can't test forever - and they count on users like us to do much of their beta testing.
The proof of their comitment is how soon they come out with a patch as they did with GP3. Hundreds of users out there can test much more - much faster than even a large testing staff.

twgavin
Re: Lets not over react
Date: June 25, 2002 07:30AM
Posted by: Vader
Confess Tim Gavin, your real name is Geoff Crammnond!

:-)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 25, 2002 07:34AM
OK, OK I give up - you didn't know Geoff lived in New Jersey and was a Yank did you!

twgavin
Date: June 25, 2002 07:37AM
New Jersey? The city that one half of it belongs to Bruce Springsteen and the other half to Jon Bon Jovi? Which part do you live in Yank?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 25, 2002 07:45AM
The third half - up near NYC- a little town named Gillette.

twgavin
Date: June 25, 2002 07:49AM
Gillette? The thing you shave with or the brat that used to sing at 20fingers "Short Dick Man"? NYC is cool. All the good music comes from there ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 25, 2002 07:52AM
Posted by: chris
"and they count on users like us to do much of their beta testing."

But they shouldnt. It should be a finished product.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 25, 2002 07:57AM
What does this coment has got to do with NYC?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 25, 2002 08:02AM
You can say shouldn't all you want - wishing won't make it so.
That's the hard cold facts of life in software development - everything is released before it should be -
the upside is we will all get a better game sooner doing it this way.
NYC is cool - it was even cooler when we could see the Trade Center from up on the hill - oh well.

twgavin
Date: June 25, 2002 08:11AM
Posted by: Brian J
Don't forget a lot of less committed GP4 buyers (probably the vast majority, like one of my work colleagues) don't realise sites like this even exist. Some may not even have internet access.

They have to put up with a game as sold.

About six months ago I saw the guy mentioned above with a copy of Autosport. we started talking and he said he also played a motor racing game called GP3, had I heard of it? After coming round to my home to show him the multi-installations of different seasons etc he went away dumbfounded. He, and he is a regular internet user, did not realise all this stuff was available. Yes, Infogrammes may release a patch, but how many buyers will actually know? Very few I reckon.
Date: June 25, 2002 08:20AM
Posted by: Cmspodwy
Good point well made.

Please sign my petition with this explaination on a separate thread.
Date: June 25, 2002 10:24AM
Posted by: Capdeville
Hi ! , I´m new here in the forum, but I have been reading all the critics for the game, in fact since Gp3 there were a lot of people who was very dissapointed with it, now I´m playing Gp3 (not the original because all the patches it has) and I´m waiting to get the game, I have own Gp1, Gp2, Gp3 and of course I will buy Gp4... I love this game.

And...by the way....anybody knows when its going to be ay stores in America ??? I live in Mexico City...

Greetings

[home.graffiti.net]
Date: June 25, 2002 11:31AM
Posted by: _Alex_
I 100% agree with Tim. Nice to see one cool head amongst the people who can't stop complaining about Grand Prix 4.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 25, 2002 11:34AM
It may not be any time soon.
I'm in the US and bought it online at
SoftwareFirst.com in UK.

twgavin
Date: June 25, 2002 11:46AM
Its all well and good to take the high ground here, but the fact remains that for most people gp4 is somewhat disappointing. Obviously a patch will fix this, but its worth remembering that its not what it was hyped up to be.

Date: June 25, 2002 11:57AM
Posted by: pannini
I mostly agree with you Tim.

As i've said somewhere else, problems with new software is a consequence of the nature of PC's. However it's a matter of degree. There is a certain amount of glitches you can put up with, but from what i read on this forum, infogrames have not been thorough enough. Personally i've had worse problems with other games.

But Tim's right, lets get it into perspective. Nobody should be getting furious and taking there game back to the shop. If you trade in for EA's F1 2002 you will basically be playing an "okay" F1 game instead of a great one (GP4).

It's frustrating I know, but i'd rather but up with some short term (i hope) bugs than poor car physics, AI, realism etc...

Good point about peolpe who buy the game but are not very computer/internet savvy. they'll buy the game, it won't work and that's IT!
That's a big shame.
Date: June 25, 2002 12:20PM
Posted by: Glyn
Yeah. Yes, the game does have a number of bugs. Yes some of them are very annoying, but sit back, close your eyes and open them again. GP4 is still the best, more accurate and most fun F1 sim money can buy.

Date: June 25, 2002 12:49PM
I agree. It is the best (for high end systems). Let's hope the patch fixes enough of the bugs to make it best by miles, and kicks F1 2002 to the gutter, because whatever faults it has, its still better than EA's offerings.

Date: June 25, 2002 01:19PM
Posted by: _Alex_
Sorry if I offended anyone, but it's just really aggravating to see all these people moaning and saying what a bunch of crap it is, when really they haven't given it a chance, and they haven't appreciated that while it does have a few bugs, it's better than any other F1 sim ever, it has sensational graphics, sensational gameplay, and it's basically a sensational game.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 25, 2002 02:13PM
OK - like I said - this was not going to be very popular.
Good points made here by many people.
I was surprised when the game came out now.
Last I heard it was delayed (again) till August.
Did they release it too soon?
Obviously YES.
Does this happen throughout the industry? Yes.
That doesn't make it right No - it's just the way it is - even with multi million dollar custom business software.
They know they have a big problem and they (and us) have to live with it.
I guess my point was (is) let's stop complaining and get on with providing them data with which to fix it.
Remember - I can't even get the f%!$ing thing to run - and my sytem is fairly powerfull. It is a shame about NEW customers - but they should simply return the game as it simply does not work.
Looks like I'll be waiting until August after all.

twgavin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy