Detailed car making guide. 3d modeling not textures.

Posted by welshjim22 
As we are losing some talented members could someone come up with a detailed guide to take people through building one of the modern cars and creating a template. Maybe afterwards those of us who haven't built cars in the past could follow the guide and put up screen shots of the new cars. I have made my own helmets and car textures previously all for my own use but have stayed away from building the 3d models as i haven't found a good enough tutorial or have any idea what programs i would need.

Thanks

James

Helmet Courtesy of Dangerous.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0, ASUS P5N32-SLI E
896MB nVIDIA GeForce BFG 260GTX OC, 19"SONY SDM-HS95PR
4GB DDR2 800MHz
a guy called Vicente Martí Centelles made a good guide back in 05. his website is [www4.uji.es]
(don´t know if it still exists)
Matter is that 3d Modelling can't just be learned with a tutorial. Same for texturing.
That does not mean newcomers can't try to create cars but they really have to work hard by theirself on a 3D modelling program to get something that looks like a car and really take even more time and devotion to create final perfect cars.

I don't want to discourage anyone, I just say 3D modelling can't be done just by reading a 10 step tutorial and trying a program for one hour.
Nothing new anyway and I don't aim at you, welshjim22, but I sometime have the feeling people think 3d creation just needs a tutorial and voila. Badly not ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2008 03:45PM by Lo2k.
I agree with Lo2k, it takes a long time before being satisfied by my first creation (march 881) and i'm still working on it... (see 1988 car thread)
i really want to help create cats, but i don't know how. boo hoo hoo :(

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2008 10:41PM by msater.
Agree with Lo2k too, you can't learn 3D modelling with tutorials. But they can help you to understand all the basics of creating shapes

CTDP 3D-Artist

I know you need many hours of practice but without a tutorial or some sort of lessons how else can i and others learn. I found the tutorial about textures that focused on a Kimi helmet very helpful.

Helmet Courtesy of Dangerous.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0, ASUS P5N32-SLI E
896MB nVIDIA GeForce BFG 260GTX OC, 19"SONY SDM-HS95PR
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matter is that 3d Modelling can't just be learned
> with a tutorial. Same for texturing.
> That does not mean newcomers can't try to create
> cars but they really have to work hard by
> theirself on a 3D modelling program to get
> something that looks like a car and really take
> even more time and devotion to create final
> perfect cars.
>
> I don't want to discourage anyone, I just say 3D
> modelling can't be done just by reading a 10 step
> tutorial and trying a program for one hour.
> Nothing new anyway and I don't aim at you,
> welshjim22, but I sometime have the feeling people
> think 3d creation just needs a tutorial and voila.
> Badly not ;)

Agreed, I'm gonna part-teach myself modelling with 3DS Max 8 this summer, in prep for repeating Year 2 at uni, one module including 3D Design for Games. I missed a bunch of workshops on the modelling aspects which didn't help considering one of the deliverables was a car with 500 polys.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy