What FPS should I get with this system?

Posted by Brian J 
What FPS should I get with this system?
Date: June 23, 2002 12:06PM
Posted by: Brian J
I am reading other posts with surprise at the FPS/PO some people are reporting.

My system:
P4 1.7Ghz, GeForce3 Ti200, 512mb RAM, Creative Soundblaster Live Yalue, Win 98SE all with latest drivers etc.

I can run at 1074x768 with textures etc at high but with env mapping, reflections(don't really want them anyway) bump mapping all off. The auto test suggests 26ish FPS but this can run really slow at certain parts of certain tracks. Others with seemingly lower specs are reporting very much better results.

I would have hoped to get better. Any obvious bottlenecks in my computer (soundcard for instance?) and what would improve things. A new video card (Geforce4) or something else?

Help appreciated.
Re: What FPS should I get with this system?
Date: June 24, 2002 06:49AM
Posted by: bazza
Turn off sound accelertion, that should help.

Bazza

Date: June 24, 2002 07:00AM
Posted by: Glyn
Sound acceleration is the secret to a much higher FPS. I had a prime example of this which ill try and describe later on.

Date: June 24, 2002 09:05PM
Posted by: JC
There should be a massive slowdown on the start/finish straights because of the increase in trackside objects.

Bump mapping looks good, static bump mapping looks ok, but dynamic bump mapping looks amazing lol, seriously lol, it puts a massive strain on your system though........

lol you got bump mapping switched off with everything switched to max and at 1024x768 and you only got 26 FPS......... Hmmmmmmm I got 24 FPS with everything switched to max and @ 1280x1024 with bump mapping set to dynamic............ and my system is only a P3 1GHZ (overclocked to 1.1) with 512mb ram and an Elsa Geforce 3 (the original GEforce 3 before the Ti's)......... Now i'm thinking twice about upgrading to a P4 2ghz northwood, i might go down the AMD route instead...........

Date: June 25, 2002 12:34PM
Posted by: oyvind
Well, as I said in another thread, I've got 26 fps recommended by the system when running everything to the max. Whether I run it with 4xS FSAA or not... And I've got a AMD 2100+, 1GB DDR RAM, GF4 -4600 and SB Audigy. Something is not right here with me.
Date: June 25, 2002 12:44PM
Posted by: StezTheSkinhead
JC wrote:
>
> Hmmmmmmm I got 24 FPS with everything switched
> to max and @ 1280x1024 with bump mapping set to
> dynamic............
>
>

Ya cant set the bump mapping to dynamic! It's either "ON" or "Off" !!!! Its the environmental mapping which can be set to "static" or "dynamic"!!!! ;-)

1.4ghz Thunderbird @1.5ghz
512meg Ram,
Original GF3 @220/500
Hansol 920 19" Monitor
16X DVD Rom
24X10X40 CD-Rewriter
Audigy
30 & 82gig Hard drives
Networked with the kids 2 PC's :-)
Date: June 25, 2002 12:44PM
Posted by: chris
Is 3d hardware sound acceleration turned down in windows?

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 25, 2002 12:51PM
It was to start wiv but I've since changed it back to full with seemingly no ill effects!

512meg Ram,
Original GF3 @220/500
Hansol 920 19" Monitor
16X DVD Rom
24X10X40 CD-Rewriter
Audigy
30 & 82gig Hard drives
Date: June 25, 2002 12:54PM
I meant that to

Date: June 25, 2002 01:17PM
Posted by: _Alex_
And I've got a AMD 2100+, 1GB DDR RAM, GF4 -4600 and SB Audigy. Something is not right here with me

No, nothing is wrong... 4xFSAA can bring the most powerful systems to their knees. Especially if you've got max details on. Turn FSAA off, it doesn't make that much difference, and your FPS will rocket through the roof and your PO will drop like a ton of bricks.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: June 25, 2002 02:19PM
"I've got 26 fps recommended by the system when running everything to the max. Whether I run it with 4xS FSAA or not... "

Strange.

Date: June 25, 2002 04:39PM
Posted by: JC
OK OK lol, my mistake lol........ Jeeeeez lol, but you know what I mean anywayz....

On my PC when i use 4X FSAA or not i get exactly the same thing, GP4 still recommends the same FPS.

Date: June 25, 2002 05:39PM
Posted by: Starbuck
I have the same problem with my system:

i have everything switchen on high detail and the maximum i can get is 40 fps, but then i have to switch a few things off. With everything on i get avarage 25, thats not okay with me! And the PO is so high all the time. When i drive in the cockpit view with my ff wheel the PO is 130, on the start/finish 150-160! But when I watch a replay out of the car or cockpit view the PO is under 100 wich is okay! So what do I have to do to drive with PO under 100 with much detail and hight fps (40 or so) and a decent resolution.

I thought it the game would work well with this specs, but obviously it doesn't!!

My specs are: Athlon XP 1900, 1024 MB RAM, GeForce 3 Ti 200, ultra 160 SCSI 12GB hardrive, win XP pro
Date: June 26, 2002 03:43AM
I haven't tried the sound accel. fix yet. I'll do that when I get back home from work.
But does anybody know how the Po is calculated? Is it just CPU load, or is the gfx card load in there too?

As I said, I only got 36 fps with everything to minimum, both in GP4 and in the drivers. And I got 26 with everything turned on. The 26 fps result is probably right, I don't think the computer is capable of handling more than that. So there must be something wrong with the minimum setting. Probably the sound accel. The question is, will the max.setting fps increase too? I hope so :-)

Date: June 26, 2002 03:46AM
Maybe there is a flaw in the way the PO is calculated, if both CPU and GPU are connected in this Test. How are these two valued between each other?
Date: June 26, 2002 04:15AM
Posted by: Starbuck
Yes I think so too, cuz when the PO is around 120 the runs still okay and it's playable. We're just used to the game speed of GP3, which is very slow, you don't have the feeling your driving 300kmh even when the PO in GP3 is around 60 or so!! When the PO is lower then 100 in GP4, the feeling of speed is amazing! Especially in Monaco! I think it has to do with the new GPS tracks and so many details next to the track.
Järvi !
Date: June 26, 2002 04:22AM
What soundcard you got?

512meg Ram,
Original GF3 @220/500
Hansol 920 19" Monitor
16X DVD Rom
24X10X40 CD-Rewriter
Audigy
30 & 82gig Hard drives
Date: June 26, 2002 05:42AM
Well, I think PO is only CPU. When over 100% it has little affect because gp4 uses gpu MUCH more. So proccessor speed is less vital. Therefore a high po should make little difrence to game play.

Date: June 26, 2002 06:37AM
If the PO is CPU dependent only, then a switch to lower res. should keep the PO at the same value, right? I haven't tried it, but I will.
If the PO goes down when the resolution goes down, then we know that:
1) The PO meter is depending on GPU too, or that:
2) The graphics engine in GP4 is depending on CPU, to a certain extent.

Date: June 26, 2002 02:28PM
Posted by: Muttley
My advice would be get Win XP. It pains me to say an MS product is good but it really will give your pc a boot up the arse compared with shitty shitty win98!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy