GP4 physics????

Posted by JonBoy 
GP4 physics????
Date: June 21, 2002 03:55AM
Posted by: JonBoy
i have played GP4 now and i feel that the physics are very different to GP3 in a negative way. The cars seem faster and much more easy to control. They seem to be almost arcade like. Is this just me? By the way i have the settings on ace which is what i always use and it is still the same. I prefer the feel of GP3 it just seemed more realistic.
Re: GP4 physics????
Date: June 21, 2002 03:57AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
Even on ace, the traction control is on. Hit F9 to turn it off.

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: June 21, 2002 03:59AM
i have done that and it still seems the same and arcade like do you think this too or is it just me?
Date: June 21, 2002 04:08AM
Posted by: Habi
Actually, traction control is F7, turn it off. Also, the default setup is .... ahhh, i'll just wait for Morbid ;)

Date: June 21, 2002 04:09AM
ive tried the traction control and it still seems the same dont understand 'morbid' :0)
Date: June 21, 2002 04:15AM
Posted by: chris
Morbid is a member of the forum. The setup master.

I know what you mean, I feel it is easier than gp3 to control.

The setups are very good, to allow console generation to play...making it easy to drive. However, make your own setup, or make the setup worse, then play it. Its more challenging.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 21, 2002 05:13AM
ok i see. yep ill try the set ups and see if it makes a difference. Its a shame that the game has been made for consoles because i do feel it detracts from the game but if the setups work then it will be ok thanks for your help.
Date: June 21, 2002 08:03AM
Posted by: Xero
The cars are easier to control? Isn't that the case in real life too though?! After all, you're driving a simulation of the 2001 car, not the 1998 one!!! I can't really comment though! I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered!!! I pre-ordered it from Amazon.co.uk, and this morning the estimated delivery time jumped to June 24th... HOW CONVIENIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:( Has anyone else pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk aswell?!

Date: June 21, 2002 08:32AM
Posted by: Morbid
Sorry for the delay. I botched my CPU in a failed OC attempt last night, and had to get it replaced.

I take it you are using the default setups and/or aids. They are tuned in for loads and loads of understeer. Try this and then make your judgement on the physics.

Take any track. Set the rear wing to what you would use in GP3 or GP3 2K. Set the front wing at +3 to the rear. Then set springs to 1200/900, ARB to 2000/200 and remove all fast and slow dampers and packers settings. Set them to zero. You might also want to raise the ride height to 40/60 if the plank scrapes. Turn all aids and steering help off. Especially traction control as this masks and smoothens almost every driver error you can make and at the same time it improves lap times somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds.

Take the car for a spin, and then let me hear what you think of the physics. If you still find it way to easy, then all I can say is that you probably have been or should be in a offline league.

I have done 1.17.554 at Nürburgring with no aids and 5 laps of fuel left. The tyres had driven 20 laps. But I still lose control about 2-5 times per 25 laps. I even spin from time to time.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 21, 2002 09:37AM
Posted by: Chappie
Hi all,

Just curious? Why would you want to turn off traction control??? It's my understanding that the real F1 cars use it??? or am I mistaken?? Just curious...

Chappie
Date: June 21, 2002 10:45AM
Posted by: Zcott
When you get used to it, it's much faster without it.
Date: June 21, 2002 12:28PM
Don't turn off traction control if you don't want too. Just turn it off if you want to know how the physics work. For instance how can you know if the rear wheels have to much traction, or if they have to much grip - (physics give too a stable car), when traction control eliminates all wheelspin?

Date: June 21, 2002 02:48PM
i dont have time now but i will try the settings and see if it makes a difference. I somehow think it isnt the settings the cars just seem speeded up in an arcade way but hopefully the settings will makwe the difference i will let u know what i feel when i have tried it thanks for ur help.
Date: June 21, 2002 02:51PM
Posted by: Ellis
I found the game very easy.

I went stright in at Pro, won my first race in JVs BAR at Canada by quite a long way.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 21, 2002 02:52PM
exactly its a shame
Date: June 21, 2002 03:30PM
Posted by: Hakkattack
morbid,

for full authenticity how should we be playing the game then. traction came in to F1 last year but you're saying lap times are better without in the game (they wouldn't be on a real car). are you suggesting getting a setup without traction and then switching it on for the race.
Date: June 21, 2002 03:45PM
Posted by: Ellis
The traction Control in GP4 is NOTHING like F1 traction Control. F1 traction control is NOT an on/off switch, its got to be adjusted to suit the driver.

This is simply Throttle control again, renamed

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: June 21, 2002 04:29PM
TC has been revised. It is very different from throttle help, but it is not that close to traction control. Ellis is right TC should be adjustable in the setup menu.

I am not suggesting anything on how you should play the game. Do as you please.

But, I am demanding that you do proper research on how the game actually works before you publicly divulge your expert knowledge.

I am just asking how you can judge physics with a driving aid on that eliminates wheelspin, makes it possible to turn much tighter and automatically corrects most of the errors it is possible to make?

Would you judge the realism of the ability to brake with auto brakes on?

Date: June 21, 2002 04:46PM
Posted by: JC
Oh well at the Xbox factor...................

Date: June 21, 2002 05:14PM
Posted by: Vader
GP4 does simulate season 2000 as I have been told. TTC was only intropduced in 2001. If GP4 is realistic, F7 cannot be TC.

If you find GP4 or GP3 to easy too handle, change the steering wheel settings. Decrease the sensitivity and dead zone. Gets much harder then and more nervous to steer then.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy