I have the official version!

Posted by Morbid 
I have the official version!
Date: June 20, 2002 06:35AM
Posted by: Morbid
Yup, my retailer had it this morning. And I gather that Infogrames went to some length to make sure that it was there. My manual is in Dutch and French, LoL! I had to go to the danish infogrames site to sign up for the manual. It should be in the mail in a few days. So to all you danes that are also missing a manual in the package, go to <www.inforgrames.dk/gp4> and sign up. By the way, this is the most expensive game I have bought to date. 429,- D.kr! Probably because I am paying for their expenses with manhours and P&P for the messup with my manual, LoL!

The warez and retail version seem the same. I have only found one bug difference and that is the 2 pit stop slider. It is @#$%& in both versions, but there is a slight difference in how they are dysfunctional. The "Mechanics won't let me go from the pits" and the "Where did my right front wheel go?" bugs are still there.

It would seem that the high textures were nuked in the rip. I don't get PO of 600 when I select high textures anymore. It only increase by 5-10 or so. But anyway, we better start compiling a bug list, and as shown above, we shouldn't accept bug reports from the warez version as there are things that went wrong in the rip.

It is very likely that there will be a patch. There was a note in my box that referred to <www.grandprixgames.com> for the latest product updates. No sign of any patch yet though, although they do have a section ready for it. Lets hope that it can be done within the 6 weeks it took for GP3.

Happy racing, I am off to race @ Nürburgring...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Re: I have the official version!
Date: June 20, 2002 06:51AM
Posted by: jordangp2001
old nurburgring..................

Date: June 20, 2002 06:57AM
Posted by: Habi
The warez and retail version seem the same. I have only found one bug difference and that is the 2 pit stop slider. It is @#$%& in both versions, but there is a slight difference in how they are dysfunctional. The "Mechanics won't let me go from the pits" and the "Where did my right front wheel go?" bugs are still there.

NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:)

Date: June 20, 2002 07:17AM
Posted by: Mark
so your telling us the game is bugged,that's just not acceptable,whats the point if having game testers if these things arn't removed before release.offering a patch weeks after release is not an answer
Date: June 20, 2002 07:24AM
Posted by: chris
Perhaps a small patch is better than another setback for release date.

'I reserve the right to contradict myself' - Richey Edwards, 1994.

Date: June 20, 2002 08:17AM
Tell me Mark, how long time has it been since you bought a game that did not get patched after release, AND that did not contain bugs? I count it in years.

As to the acceptability, there are some bugs in the game that are not acceptable, and should have been picked up by the testers. But it is not many that have gamewrecking ramifications. I count

1) Where is my front right wheel?
2) Mechanics won't let me go from the pits.
3) Problems for the AI, when trying to enter the pits at Nürburgring and Sepang, and possibly other tracks (have not heard of it yet tho).
4) Mechanical failure spoiler bug. If the car, from which your point of view starts, when you enter the track, is going to have a mechanical failure, then the left yellow led on the steering wheel is constantly lit on all cars. If you enter in a car that is not going to have a failure, no yellow leds are prematurely lit. This looks like a beta-test feature, that is incorrectly disabled. It would be nice to know if a car is going to break down in the beta phase, as it can be monitored during testing.

The rest of the bugs are minor. Some are annoying, like marshalls that forget to back to their posts behind the fences and the cars dissappear at long range in heat haze. Some are very minor as a incorrect popup helptext over the Traction control aid, and the broken 2 pitstop buttons (which do work, just not like they are supposed to). 4 game threating bugs seem to me to be somewhere between average and better than average, considering the state most games are in when they are released. The important thing is not really that there are bugs.

The important things is whether or not they are fixed, and how long this takes.

Date: June 20, 2002 09:01AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hmmm i wonder if the Old nurburgring wil be availible for this version, or 24 cars :D

Date: June 20, 2002 11:29AM
Posted by: Mark
i'm sorry morbid but i totally disagree,i have no problem with add onns but the fact the a patch can be produced suggests the bugs shouldn't of been their in the first place and more annoying they were known about on release.

if these can can be picked up by playing after a short time then surely they should be ironed out by testers and not given the attitude of sod it we don't care it's bugged and we'll fix it at a later date.

it's getting the norm nowadays that games are released with problems and given the attitude of patch it once all those who have bought it have reported all the mistakes,some of which sound ridiculous.it doesn't matter how many games are bug free on release and this is not just aimed at crammond.it simply isn't good enough
Date: June 20, 2002 11:35AM
Posted by: genesis
The problem for Geoff and Infogrames now is that if too many people find out that most of the warez bugs are in final version, nobody will buy the official version (that is NOT me). That is why it is even more stupid on their part.
Date: June 20, 2002 12:12PM
I am not saying that bugs in a release version is great. But is obvious to me that you have not considered this:

1) You have never worked on a project that has more than 10 pages of text. I just submitted a 60 page report at Uni, and I swear I did as much as I could to edit the text to perfection. It is an exam for gods sake, and I am a perfectionist. I want not only good grades - I want the best. Yet there was still 20+ typos and examles of insufficient language. Imagine proofreading 600-1000 pages of code... How many typos would you find? Heck, just look at your own post for typos and bad writing. It is just impossible to find them all.

2) Yes, a vigorous testing program would find a lot more bugs. And in the end the retail version would have a lot fewer bugs. Yet you would have to pay people to find them. I have already spent approx 40-50 hours playing GP4 and I have a good list of bugs 7 bugs I am sure of and some more suspected. Imagine what I would do to the price off the product if they paid say 1000 man-hours of extra testing? Thats about 6 hours per bug detected and followed up with examination and a thorough description. We have a test program running at this site simply because people find bugs annoying. We have found about 20 different bugs or so. Imagine if we all had to be payed... Costs would spiral out of control. That leads to producers using the consumer as "sort of beta testers". Yes it sucks, and frankly I hate it, but if you pay for your products, you might want to think again when you see the alternate price tags.

3) Warezing of the finished product will not increase if there is a) a patch, since you can´t apply that to a ripped version b) mods and utils since they don't work with ripped versions.

4) It is @!#$ that bugs are there, but nothing can be done about it now. They ARE there. And instead of fighting over them if they should be there or not, why don't you spend your energy in finding them, and hopefully doing something about their existance. Whining about them will not make them go away.

Date: June 20, 2002 12:31PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
And its not as if they are that major anyway...well said Morbid

Date: June 20, 2002 02:20PM
Posted by: Muttley
for those who have the official version already - is the bug gone in qualifying where you do an external view of the car and it doesnt show rid position when you cross the line? in the warez version it just shows the 2nd split time.

a couple of cool things i have noticed

1) the brake disks glow :)
2) if u go to the exterior helmet cam u can see they have made some attempt at facial likenesses! panis+schumacher are the best ones.
Date: June 20, 2002 02:24PM
Posted by: GLD
So, is GP4 officially out on june 21st now?? Cos if it is, i'll go buy it after my last exam!! Won't be able to play it htough, gotta take the girlfriend to the cinema, ah well.......
Date: June 20, 2002 02:31PM
Posted by: CMJH69
yeah i asked in game today and they said its out tomorrow priced £39.99 (?)

Date: June 20, 2002 02:55PM
Posted by: pikflo_MHrulz
39.99!!!!!!!!!! what the fudge
Date: June 20, 2002 03:24PM
Posted by: genesis
Hmmm that sounds like XBox price to me.
Date: June 20, 2002 03:30PM
Posted by: pikflo_MHrulz
yeah totaly agree and a good obsavation i was sugaring my pants for a moe and a half there
Date: June 21, 2002 12:08PM
Posted by: JC
I have official version too lol..... I pre-oredered mine over the net a few weeks ago lol, to make sure i get a copy lol..... Mine got delivered in the morning (Friday).............. It only cost me £25.99 and it came with GP2 as well for free lol, lol now i got 2 copies of GP2.............. :OP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy