Dirty air or slip stream

Posted by brrad0 
Dirty air or slip stream
Date: May 11, 2008 10:40PM
Posted by: brrad0
Hey,

I was wondering if I was able to edit the slipstream physics for GP4? It is almost impossible to stay on track when I am behind someone and then I lose them by 2 seconds (espically at Magny Cours or the tight circuits).

Any help will be appreicated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Dirty air or slip stream
Date: May 11, 2008 11:01PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Modify the values in the slipstream.ini in the Tweaker folder of the mod you are using..
Date: May 11, 2008 11:46PM
kimiraik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Modify the values in the slipstream.ini in the
> Tweaker folder of the mod you are using..

can you explain how i can use it effectivly please?
Date: May 12, 2008 01:46AM
Go to GP4->GPSAVES->Carsets->the mod you use->Data->Tweaker->gp4tweak_data->slipstream and modify the first two parts default values (they should be 50), lowering them to lower the effect, and test in game.
Date: May 12, 2008 08:41AM
Thanks man!
Date: May 12, 2008 01:18PM
No problem m8!
Date: May 12, 2008 01:40PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
30 is a good value for a nice slipstream effect.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: May 12, 2008 06:57PM
I find 30 is still too difficult to drive..do you think it is a realistic value?..
Date: May 12, 2008 07:02PM
Posted by: Bigbrother
how can you know realistic if you never driven a formule 1 car :-)
Date: May 12, 2008 07:03PM
Eheh lol :)
Date: May 12, 2008 07:04PM
thats what i thought :-)
Date: May 12, 2008 07:10PM
And you're not completely wrong :)
Date: May 12, 2008 07:14PM
i know :-)

put it on 30 and try it out if it feels realistic, let us know :-)
Date: May 13, 2008 08:59AM
Posted by: JeDa
Hi,
I have it on 50 and I think it's realistic. It makes overtaking a real challenge, even overtaking one or two cars in a 100% race is difficult. You have to follow a car for a few laps to find out where to overtake. Where he is slower. Also, there are only one or two corners on each track where you can overtake succefully. Also this is realistic. You just cant overtake in every place on the track.

What I also like is the strategic element,it makes me think more about pitstop strategy (overtaking in the pit), just like real drivers have to do.

The only thing I don't like is that it is also very hard to lap the slow cars. So what I did is to have the effect on 50 for the cars I am competing (I drive a mclaren, so my direct competition is Ferrari, BMW) and the other cars a lower value (Force India, SA, STR have the values on 10, RBR, Toyota on 20 and Renault on 35). This way it's more easy to lap the other cars but it's very hard to overtake a Ferrari, BMW or my teammate). This compensate a bit for the AI not moving over soon when you want to lap them.

Ross Brawn told that, when another car is 3 seconds in front of them on track, they allready have some loss of downforce because of the dirty air.

For me, this is one of the best tools for GP4!
Date: May 13, 2008 09:50AM
Posted by: gezere
That's a nice idea to have different values depending of car....
Yes it's a nice tool. I worked a bit with it sometimes ago and
my feeling was that AI cars are not involved with this dirty air effect
even if you set to 1 the parameter for all cars (AI and player car)...
Anyway, may be I did something wrong.... :)

Date: May 13, 2008 10:04AM
Posted by: fongu
i think at 50 you will notice the computer feeling it - like at silverstone's becketts and the old last corner at barcelona, the cars overtook less and less. But as I drive on keyboard, it is impossible to get within 2-3 seconds behind a car even if it is the slowest, so I have mine between 25-30, but you do lose out on the effect it has on the AI. Experiment, I've found it does effect the AI

Date: May 14, 2008 01:25AM
No guys, you just have to activate the effect for AI cars..it does not affect them by default...
Date: July 06, 2008 11:36AM
Posted by: BAR#10
kimiraik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to GP4->GPSAVES->Carsets->the mod you
> use->Data->Tweaker->gp4tweak_data->slipstream and
> modify the first two parts default values (they
> should be 50), lowering them to lower the effect,
> and test in game.

The folder by following the path you described in 2006/07 mod is empty(in mine 2006/07download that is).
There is a 2006gptweak for enabling/disabling though

However the gp4tweaker data values /50s/, is found in the main GP4 folder.
Should I paste it into the empty 2007one, or will the edit in the main do to the trick?
And to enable slipstream for AI do you have to set SlipPlayer to =0?

By the way, I also like the idea for changing the numbers for different cars, Jeda. Do you have values set differently for each track?
Date: July 06, 2008 11:55AM
Posted by: Go Alesi
No, just changing it in the main folder is no good, becuase CSM loads the one located in the mod folder. You may be looking in the wrong folder. I haven't got my computer to hand at the moment, but in the mod folder, there will definately be a 'Tweaker' folder somewhere, and that will have a file in it called slipstream.ini . Just look through all the folders in the mod if need be - it's there somewhere.

And then you can't just copy the main GP4 tweaker file into that, becuase you'll see that the slipstream.ini contains just data for the slipstream effect, but the general tweaker ini in the main folder contains other stuff too.

And yes, to get the effect to work for AI cars too, you set the value to 0. But all that will happen is that the AI cars will crash becuase they're not able to take into account the reduced grip.

Date: July 06, 2008 12:05PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Ok, what I have is GPSAVES-CARSETS-2006-DATA-TWEAKER. And in thAT TWEAKER FOLDER there is 8kb 2006gp4tweak configuration settings file and folder 2007. When I open 2007 folder it's empty.

Do you have to load through CSM for it work anyway? I use CSM justto load the mod and after that always start the game directly through gpxpatch. The reason I'm asking is when we got the new Ferrari by C&G we had to change the values for tyre position. I edited them in the tweaker, howerver did not load the game through CSM and it still worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy