Differential. what is it and how to set it up?

Posted by ElioDeProst 
Differential. what is it and how to set it up?
Date: March 07, 2008 12:35PM
Posted by: ElioDeProst
Hi,

I moved from GP2 to GP4 and the main difference I note in setting up is that there is a differential thingie. Now, I don't understand what this is, nor what impact it has in the setup, so I don't know how to play with it. Can anyone give me some help with this?

Thanks

Alex
Re: Differential. what is it and how to set it up?
Date: March 07, 2008 01:05PM
Posted by: joostingh
[en.wikipedia.org])

The following description of a differential applies to a "traditional" rear or front-wheel-drive car or truck: Power is supplied from the engine, via the gearbox, to a driveshaft (British term: propeller shaft), which runs to the drive axle. A pinion gear at the end of the propeller shaft is encased within the differential itself, and it engages with the large ring gear (British term: crownwheel), shown in the diagrams. The ring gear is attached to a carrier, which holds a set of three small planetary gears. The three planetary gears are set up in such a way that the two outer gears (the side gears) can rotate in opposite directions relative to each other. The pair of side gears drive the axle shafts to each of the wheels. The entire carrier rotates in the same direction as the ring gear, but within that motion, the side gears can counter-rotate relative to each other.

Thus, for example, if the car is making a turn to the right, the main ring gear may make 10 full revolutions, and during that time, the left wheel will travel more revolutions because it has further to travel, and the right wheel will travel fewer revolutions correspondingly, as it has less distance to travel. The side gears will turn in opposite directions relative to each other by, say, 2 full turns each (4 full turns with regard to each other), resulting in the left wheel making 12 revolutions, and the right wheel making 8 revolutions.

When the vehicle is traveling in a straight line, there will be no differential movement of the planetary system of gears other than the minute movements necessary to compensate for slight differences in wheel diameter, undulations in the road (which make for a longer or shorter wheel path), etc.

Date: March 07, 2008 01:57PM
Posted by: Bruninho
It just dictates how much wheelspin you'll have when accelerating and braking. low diff improves stability in low-speed corners, but if you lock your brakes you are likely to have 'snap oversteer'.

Its good if you are a no-tc player and if u have a driving style similar to Raikkonen, cuz he likes to steer his F2008 with the rear-end in the corners.

But I'm probably wrong as diff lock in GP4 is a different beast compared to rFactor ;P

I always tend to use low-medium differential. I find it helps a lot get round slow corners, such as Loews at Monaco, and makes the rear slightly more gentle at higher speeds if you happen to get a slide on.
Does anybody know whether you can disable GP4 applying the throttle if you drop below a certain speed in first gear? It annoys me having to take Loews and Rascasse with the brakes on. I suppose it's an antistall feature, you can't park in gear, but is there the option to disable it / lower the speed at which it kicks in?
Date: March 07, 2008 02:54PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I in the contrary i to use the max possible generally 8 or more.
Thank you all, but if I may be so bold, I haven't understood how to setup the differential. To put it simple, how will the car be affected if I change each slider to the left or to the right?

Thanks
Date: March 07, 2008 05:44PM
Posted by: harjinator
why not just give it a go? the effect it'll have on your car will be different because of our driving style? Will only take 10 mins!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: March 07, 2008 06:16PM
the higher the differential, the more understeer you have, and the opposite is seen with low differential (oversteer).

Or the other way around. Dunno. Im at work and I cant remember. HA! ;)

Yes that's right Bruninho :)
Date: March 09, 2008 10:13PM
Posted by: rosberg91
Bruninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the higher the differential, the more understeer
> you have, and the opposite is seen with low
> differential (oversteer).
>
> Or the other way around. Dunno. Im at work and I
> cant remember. HA! ;)

these parametres of the Differential have some effect also when the driver brakes? or they have effect just only when the driver accelerates
Date: March 09, 2008 10:52PM
rosberg91 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bruninho Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > the higher the differential, the more
> understeer
> > you have, and the opposite is seen with low
> > differential (oversteer).
> >
> > Or the other way around. Dunno. Im at work and
> I
> > cant remember. HA! ;)
>
> these parametres of the Differential have some
> effect also when the driver brakes? or they have
> effect just only when the driver accelerates

Both.

Date: March 09, 2008 10:53PM
Posted by: rosberg91
thanks for fast reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy