How well does Gp4 play on the latest quad core processors?

Posted by bones1834 
Anyone playing gp4 with some of the latest upgrades? If so, how well is it running? And, if you don't mind, give your full pc specs. Thanks.
I'm using a Dell XPS 710, only in single GTX 8800 (764mb) configuration,4 gigs Ram, Intel Core 2 duo extreme (quad core)and GP4 runs like butter over hot toast. (but GP4 only works off one core anyway..right? PO is usually at around 25%)
I don't use CSM, and have updated the cars and helmets manually without decreasing the texture sizes. Also hi-rez track textures aren't a problem.

GP4 still randomly crashes to desktop from time to time when going to and from set-up menu, or changing sessions though...LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 08:30AM by Razorsedge.
Razorsedge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm using a Dell XPS 710, only in single GTX 8800
> (764mb) configuration,4 gigs Ram, Intel Core 2 duo
> extreme (quad core)and GP4 runs like butter over
> hot toast. (but GP4 only works off one core
> anyway..right? PO is usually at around 25%)
> I don't use CSM, and have updated the cars and
> helmets manually without decreasing the texture
> sizes. Also hi-rez track textures aren't a
> problem.
>
> GP4 still randomly crashes to desktop from time to
> time when going to and from set-up menu, or
> changing sessions though...LOL.

... running on XP or Vista ????

Back to basics... I feel like a newbie! hahahahaa!!!
I have a Q6600 with 2gb ram and a 8800GT and gp4 runs great, even though its only 1 core :)
EDIT: With Vista and latest beta drivers btw

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 03:41PM by Robert.
Now do you guys have to do anything in the windows setting's to run gp4 on 1 core, or does it just do it automatically?
Hi again, sorry to be late to reply damunoz.

I use XP.

I'm not very knowledgable about Processors, but I would guess that GP4 will only automatically run on one core. I believe only the latest games will kind of support multi core processing.

I've no real idea how Vista might handle things though, but surely the way the game interacts with your processors would depend on the actual software coding or some such. Maybe one of the guys around with more knowledge of P.C.s and the programming stuff could help out more.

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 03:22AM by Razorsedge.
why would gp4 not run on 4 cores ? I have dual core and if i select all in gpxpatch then gp4 runs on both cpu's so i am sure it will run on 4 cores also.
No way, If u select all when using DUAL CORE or P4 HT processors in gpxpatch it crashes at regularly intervals.
GP4 doesn't mind about cores to perform well it always looks for processor GHZ. If u select 0 or 1 in gpxpatch it takes processor GHZ into consideration. even if u select all also it takes only one GHZ speed into consideration. so don't mind about GP4 utilizing all cores it's programmed like that.unlike New games where they use all cores into gaming.

Usually GP4 takes consideration of processor speed into its account . But if ur processor is having more FSB and RAM speed then your operating system and hardware makes it to run faster without GP4 interpretation.

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
i don't agree on that, i can see on my logitech g15 keyboard that the game runs on both cpu's at 50 % when i select ALL and my game never crashes mate
strange, it never crashed for u?

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
when i am ingame it never crash. Loading sometimes crash due several things but when the game is loaded it never crashes :-)
Bigbrother Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't agree on that, i can see on my logitech
> g15 keyboard that the game runs on both cpu's at
> 50 % when i select ALL and my game never crashes
> mate

Good info. I also have the same directions to run gpxpatch setup to 0 and, I have the same PC configuration as Razorsedge, and I also had some radomly crashes sometimes.
I'm runing at full, all in hi-res (cars and tracks), 60 fps and the PO stays around 50%, except on the start (around 100%), runs very well.
But now, with this new information from Bigbrother, I'll try to select ALL to evaluate.
I also have no problems with using more than one core :)
Bigbrother is right, just tested with CPU in All and the result was better than before without any crash and with a substantial increase in the general performance of the game, mainly when navigating between menus. Also, the PO, which was good before, had a decrease around 10% during the race.
So, the story to always put the CPU in 0 (zero) on the gpxpatch is not valid for PCs of new generation with dual core.

Thanks, Bigbrother for the very good information.
that was just for hyperthreaded P4s i think...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Your welcome mate, so all people with dual core or quad core cpu's set in gpxpatch to ALL instead of 0 or 1 :-)
Done deal. Good stuff lads!

Re: How well does Gp4 play on the latest quad core processors?
Date: February 28, 2008 04:03PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Ok, i tried putting CPU All and the game runs funny.
I say because the game runs like it was doing fast forward.
Its a fresh install with patch 9.6, gp4.exe no cd 1.02 and a 2007 cars.wad .
When i put cpu 0 or 1 it works fine.
Just to be clear i have dual core procesor.
Ideas are welcome.

Cheer :)
i have a fresh install, patched gp4 exe with csm, gpxpatch installed and csm mods thats all, no problem at all, no crashes and game runs smooth with all on high quality :-)
Hey Guys

I know this is an old thread but i don't wan't to open another one.

I've got an dual core CPU with 2x3ghz, 2gb RAM, 512mb graphics bs NVIDIA but i dont know what card.
I'm looking for the Optimum graphic resulution and best gameplay.
So i try to Set CPU in gpx patch to "all";(when i Set 0 oder 1 everything works but the Performance is Not so good and the graphic is Not so nice). It works so good.
not high Po, awesome graphic.
But only for One corner or maybe 5 minutes than gp4 rash to desktop :(

Its happened when i use csm and a normal mod and also on a fresh instalation.

Ive installed gpx_patch 3.93, NO patch

Any idea for solve this problem?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy