Which pc to buy? please help

Posted by salvasirignano 
Which pc to buy? please help
Date: January 26, 2008 08:01AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Hello everyone
I am going to buy a new budget pc to replace my broken laptop, and would love to be able to run GP4 smoothly and quickly on it. I have narrowed my selection down to two I may be willing to purchase
Both run on vista and have 512 mb ram (which I could upgrade I hope!)
The first one is £300 has intel 3GHz processor but "32 up to 64 mb intel 950 graphics." Integrated I guess?
The second is £349 with AMD 2.4 Ghz processor but with Nvidia Geforce 6150 " 64mb dedicated up to 128."
Should GP4 run well on both? Does extra processor speed matter more than a better graphics card with GP4?
I would be extremely grateful if you could give me some advice on this - I only want a pc I can use for schoolwork and play GPL, GP4 on
Regards
Salvatore
Re: Which pc to buy? please help
Date: January 26, 2008 09:00AM
Posted by: [FIN]Räkä
I would take that one with GeForce 6150. It's the processor that matters in GP4 in general, but Intel's graphic chipsets are so weak and poor that GeForce could be better particularly with the newest hi-res mods. You don't get any advantage of faster processor if your graphics card can't draw screens so quickly. 2,4 GHz processor should be enough, but a memory upgrade is recommended as Vista is quite heavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 09:04AM by [FIN]Räkä.
Date: January 26, 2008 10:58AM
Posted by: Robert
sorry, but if you want to use any mods with GP4 that system will be awful.
I'll have a look on dell tomorrow to find something better :)

EDIT: had a quick look, this might be ok [configure.euro.dell.com] for fairly basic gaming (and of course it is dell, so you shouldn't get any problems)

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 11:06AM by Robert.
Date: January 26, 2008 10:59AM
Posted by: Floris_Koop_GP4Freak
I do not know that much about those new high tech, high speed, top notch computers but I do know (even for a budget PC) 512 Ram is not enough. I would go for at least 1Gig and, to run GP4 well you would need a very good processor and (allthough I think it exceeds your budget) so I'd recommend a duo core, but that could do with a 3.0Ghz single core too.

personally,

I am playing games with a 3,5 year old PC at the moment and, although I could upgrade to some better things, I'm waiting till I have enough money to buy a high speed PC for that moment. My goal is waiting for a budget that allows me to buy a very high speed PC, with one of the latest GFX cards, which would support DX10.1.

Date: January 26, 2008 11:06AM
Posted by: SilverBlaze
Remember that Vista itself will use 512Mb RAM...

HD SUZUKA - MENU ADDONS - ONBOARD CAMERAS - VIDS
Date: January 26, 2008 11:24AM
Posted by: Robert
Specced up a dell for £480:
-contains keyboard,mouse,speakers and 19inch wide monitor :)-

Components

PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6550 Processor (2.33GHz,1333MHz,4MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM - Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
HARDWARE SUPPORT - 1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
MONITOR - Dell™ 19" Silver Wide Flat Panel (SE198WFP) - UK/Irish
MEMORY - 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
HARD DRIVE - 320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
GRAPHICS CARD - 256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 XT graphics card
OPTICAL DRIVE - 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
KEYBOARD - Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
MOUSE - Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black

Accessories

SOUND SOFTWARE - Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
SPEAKERS - Dell™ A225 Speakers
FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES - 19-in-1 Media Card reader
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE - Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: January 26, 2008 09:55PM
Posted by: [FIN]Räkä
Floris_Koop_GP4Freak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to run GP4 well
> you would need a very good processor and
> (allthough I think it exceeds your budget) so I'd
> recommend a duo core, but that could do with a
> 3.0Ghz single core too.

I have AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHz. The model is from 2003, 5 years old, but I can still run all the mods at 30 fps, resolution 1024x768, all the settings on high of course. On some tracks it could sometimes lag a bit but generally the game runs quite nicely. 1536 Mb of memory, GeForce 7600 GS 512 Mb and Windows XP could have something to do with this...

I meant if you have a tight budget and you need to choose from those two computers, I would take a GeForce one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2008 09:57PM by [FIN]Räkä.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy