Grand prix 4 & who plays it...*** modding *****

Posted by Anonymous User 
Grand prix 4 & who plays it...*** modding *****
Date: December 01, 2007 05:16PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
as many as you may know,i've been an avid grand prix 4 fan /p/t track maker for a while now..this has been on/off for a while now as there has grown a negative influence/s in this community...i've had time to think & wondered if this community was still in state to buid itself back up ? i had an idea where a small group of modders
would form a team & develop gp4 even further.the idea was simple....

make mods with developed & developing mod makers , work in private..
keep the public up to date with info etc...when time was ready release works...

is there still a large enough member/s of this community to gather up the necessary people/s with the skills ?
so many have left now & the skills/info went with them......is there still enough interest for this type of thing to happen ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2007 09:28AM by jimbob1.
Re: Grand prix 4 & who plays it...
Date: December 01, 2007 05:32PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
i would like to help delevop mods/cars but i need to get the skills myself.
I find it hard to follow the tutorials - and i think there are others like me.

If there was a way to have some kind of video tutorial on making something like a nose cone for a f1 car then i would try and make a whole car myself.

Date: December 01, 2007 05:35PM
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would like to help delevop mods/cars but i need
> to get the skills myself.
> I find it hard to follow the tutorials - and i
> think there are others like me.
>
> If there was a way to have some kind of video
> tutorial on making something like a nose cone for
> a f1 car then i would try and make a whole car
> myself.

i find this hasn't changed much in the past 2-3 years..
i've given up asking the amunt of car makers to please put together
a user guide for others to follow.....
Date: December 01, 2007 05:38PM
ashame no one could have some effort to make one:( (I know they are all busy with work though!)

but i 100% guarantee that with a video version,there would be so many new modders!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2007 05:39PM by DJSKYLINE.
Date: December 01, 2007 05:41PM
Posted by: Spidey
A great idea
Im interested in it because i paiting helmets atm and it is going quite good. I always look for new experiences :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.”
Date: December 01, 2007 05:50PM
Posted by: Craigo
Theres plenty of tutorials out there, like myself and others, i just read a zmod ne and learnt myself, u just gotta keep at it and lots of practice

Date: December 01, 2007 05:52PM
i try too. i swear!

is it not possible for a modder to use fraps to create a video tutorial. They only have to do it whilst making one of their cars. And they can release it after they've finished the car so it doesnt spoil the surprise ;)

I dont want it just for me, but i think it would be a great feature for the whole community.

Date: December 01, 2007 05:56PM
Posted by: Craigo
Fair point but its not just as simple as recording, so much of wat u saw would be pointless, but yeh with the patience it could be done

Date: December 01, 2007 11:18PM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I think it would be nice, I'm figuring out the carshape thing but have yet to find a tutorial that perfectly tells me how to map objects.
Re: Grand prix 4 & who plays it...*** modding *****
Date: December 02, 2007 11:21AM
Posted by: _Erix_
There are two sides to each story, most of the times even more.

First, you have to have some natural talent. Painting and modeling needs to be "in your blood". So download a trail version of 3dsMax and complete their tutorials, you'll instantly know if 3d modeling is the thing for you. Same goes for Photoshop or PSP. Download a trial version and check out their help/tutorial files. Even ZMmodeler has great help files.

Second, writing a tutorial takes a lot of time. More than you can imagine. You need to make screenshots that make sense, edit them and describe what you just did. Video's are harder, you need a good editing tool to make it look good and a lot of HD space ;)

Third, not all good modelers are good tutorial writers. Here's that talent thing again. I've written some tutorials but it's not my favorite thing...

To answer Jim,
I think the gp4 community is too small to create dev teams. I tried it a couple of times but couldn't get it to work.

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]
Date: December 02, 2007 11:34AM
Posted by: ralv585
i think that tutorials can help, but having someone one the other line i.e msn, is much more beneficial.

someone with experience can help tutor someone online, i would love to help, i've read a few manuals, but still can't get my head around the basics

what i've thought for some time is that someone could make a base car that we can all modify.

someone makes a high to medium poly nose cone, which we can all mould and edit to something else, there could be 4 or 5 side pods that we could choose from to edit and share, front wings etc

i know cars being built from scratch are always better, but this could help relative noobs come in and produce some decent work, which could be the platform for better things in the future

you can count me in :)

Date: December 02, 2007 11:45AM
To answer Jim,
I think the gp4 community is too small to create dev teams

thanks erik.....

it depends on who is in the small team & who is organising it &
what the team is actually making...if the team vite on a project & it's #
do able i think motivation stays pretty high.....

i'm starting with some others a small mod team which is currently voting on it;s
first project...the mod will be worked on a post acccessable by mod members only...this is to help work run smooth & quietly without distractions..
there will be regular general posts to keep anyone interested up to date about the progress etc....so anyone wanting to know more about the team & maybe adding to it....please pm me here....jimmyc.....

[www.racesimspitstop.co.uk]

above post..
i think the videos were a good sugesstion..
also..more easy to follow guides with pics from someone in the progress of making a car for example could be very useful..
Date: December 02, 2007 11:49AM
Posted by: Shaddix
yeah still voting, but I can say, all the options we are concidering are magnificant from my opinion ;)
Date: December 02, 2007 11:52AM
Posted by: MarioB
I totally agree with Erik, you need to have some talent. But i think most important you must be persistence (is this the right word?, if you really want to go modding, try, try and try again. It is hard but every carbuilder or trackbuilder have learn this because they really wanted it. I know it's difficult to start, and i don't know much about making carmodels. But i know some about tracks.

Just a idea from me, if someone likes to start building tracks, i am willing to help them. Maybe by daily mail, i can give them advise, help them with all kind of things. Maybe to have a database with all kind of 3ds models which can be used, like pitbuilding, pitstand, pittowers, bidges, random buildings and many more.... I don't know if there are guys who think it is a good idea, but Tony made a lot of dat files which can be used (i have to discuss with Tony what he thinks about it)so we can start right away. Maybe it's just idea some carbuilders do the same, to try to educate 1 or 2 new guys, give them advise about modeling and painting.

If there is no interest in this idea from me, it's no big deal. It's just a idea from me and something i like to offer to this community. So everyone who wants to start building tracks, just let me know.

Grtz

MarioB

Date: December 02, 2007 01:39PM
Posted by: _Erix_
Reading more posts in this thread made me change my mind. If such a dev team stays rather small, with dedicated people that are masters at their territory with a surplus in GP4 experience, I think this can work out well.

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]
Date: December 02, 2007 01:43PM
Posted by: vesuvius
I want to learn modelling and I believe I have the talent and skill needed to help gp4 to stay alive :)
Date: December 02, 2007 05:30PM
Posted by: paranoik0
MarioB Wrote:
> Just a idea from me, if someone likes to start
> building tracks, i am willing to help them. Maybe
> by daily mail, i can give them advise, help them
> with all kind of things. Maybe to have a database
> with all kind of 3ds models which can be used,
> like pitbuilding, pitstand, pittowers, bidges,
> random buildings and many more.... I don't know if
> there are guys who think it is a good idea, but
> Tony made a lot of dat files which can be used (i
> have to discuss with Tony what he thinks about
> it)so we can start right away. Maybe it's just
> idea some carbuilders do the same, to try to
> educate 1 or 2 new guys, give them advise about
> modeling and painting.

Interesting that you mention this, because I need a pitbuilding, pitstands and grandstands for my fantasy track, and I was thinking about asking you guys if I could "borrow" some of them. :P

I'm really surprised nowadays with the amount (and quality) of mods that are coming out for this game, because to be honest, the game is several years old now and there are better things out there, particularly for online play, like RFactor. Might be a negative view of things, but I really doubt things are ever going to get any better or more active in GP4. People will end up moving on.
Date: December 02, 2007 08:43PM
Posted by: MarioB
paranoik0 Wrote:
>
> Interesting that you mention this, because I need
> a pitbuilding, pitstands and grandstands for my
> fantasy track, and I was thinking about asking you
> guys if I could "borrow" some of them. :P

Sure, let me know if you find one which you like to use. You can send me a pm about it.
>
> I'm really surprised nowadays with the amount (and
> quality) of mods that are coming out for this
> game, because to be honest, the game is several
> years old now and there are better things out
> there, particularly for online play, like RFactor.
> Might be a negative view of things, but I really
> doubt things are ever going to get any better or
> more active in GP4. People will end up moving on.

You are right, this old lady is still alive and it's getting better and better. For sure people will end up moving on, but maybe they will wait for a descent successor of gp4( maybe SimBin will make one????), just like me. For me at this moment there is no game which i like more than this game and for sure it's not Rfactor, but that's my personal opinion. Don't get me wrong, i don't want to offense anyone or any community.

Grtz

MarioB

Date: December 03, 2007 11:21AM
Posted by: fongu
I still love this game and modding, but just simply don't have the time, don't know how I managed to get 2 cars out this year (well nearly out!). But I'm happy to help people develop their skills (although most of my work is in zmod and psp 8) and work with them on cars etc.

Date: December 03, 2007 12:14PM
Posted by: Prblanco
I still love this game and modding, but just simply don't have the time [2] ;)

I managed to release one track (Hungaroring) and one update (Dubai) this year, which is nowhere near the amount of work made by guys like MarioB, Gildoorf and Ruboy. So I don't think I could work within a Mod team, I'd slow everything ;)

However, this is a nice idea and I really hope it becomes more than an idea. If there's anything I could do to help, I'd be glad to.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy