TC and LC in Historic Mods...

Posted by Jagdpanzer 
TC and LC in Historic Mods...
Date: February 05, 2007 09:49PM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
Greetings. Been doing a bit of thinking and I'm just wondering in which mods is it historically accurate to not have traction control and launch control on?

The early stuff 1979, 1986, 1988 should be with neither, right? What about 1995? Did they openly use traction control? (I seem to remember some teams supposedly using it secretly) How about the upcoming 1991 mod? Traction control WAS used then right?

Is there a good web site where this sort of thing is discussed?

If anyone could shed a bit of light on this I would be very appreciative!

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 09:51PM by Jagdpanzer.
Re: TC and LC in Historic Mods...
Date: February 05, 2007 10:15PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
The Williams of '91 had traction control and also active suspension.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: February 05, 2007 11:47PM
Posted by: loren
Williams never raced active ride in '91 (although apparently they brought it to Adelaide). They were the only team using it in '92. By '93 all of the big teams had it.

I think TC came in about 1989; and I'm pretty sure the big four all had it by '91. Not sure about the others.

McLaren were caught using an automatic upshift in '94, Ferrari got caught using TC in practice at Aida that year, and of course, Benetton had LC on their '94 car, though they claimed it couldn't be used. Not sure about in '95 after they switched to Renaults, but by the late 1990s I know a lot of teams were using TC again.
Date: February 06, 2007 07:43AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
I dont think any teams had TC or LC in 1995, legally or not. Yes, that includes Benetton!

Date: February 06, 2007 07:52AM
Posted by: b-tone
When Ayrton Senna won the 1993 season-ending Australian Grand Prix, he declared it to be the end of an era in Formula One....officially at least, the last to be won by a driver in a car using traction control.
Thats from [espn.go.com]
Theres also something here: [www.f1technical.net]

As for the mods 1995 has been developed to be used without TC and LC. Same for 67, 79 and 88.
With 1995 the difference between using TC and not is quite big and using it will give the dreaded on-rails effect, so switch it off and get ready for more practice :)

____
Tony

Date: February 06, 2007 08:56AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
From f1technical.net :

"Traction control has been around in various guises since the 1980s, and cars like the 1992 Williams FW14B which took Nigel Mansell to his drivers' championship title were even more electronic-packed than the current cars - featuring computer-controlled active suspension in addition. After a long period during which traction control was banned, the FIA decided to re-allow its use at the start of the 2001 season (as of the Spanish GP because the smaller teams requested a delay to get more time for developing their systems) as it was becoming increasingly difficult to prove that ECUs (Engine Control Units) were not being used to replicate traction control functions."

and:

"The ban in the mid 1990s was introduced because of safety measures to reduce speed, and motivated by the idea that since traction control is quite easy to achieve it would therefore also be easy to spot. To prevent engine mappings adjusted for traction control, the FIA had to check every teams' software. It appeared an impossible task as the 3 FIA experts were unable to review software written by every team independently and often with up to 10 people working on the system."

Interesting stuff.....:)

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: February 06, 2007 04:12PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
The ban of electronics in '94 was imo the main cause of many accidents that year.

The cars were very unstable and nervous without the electronics, cos the FIA also made the tyres and cars smaller.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: February 07, 2007 07:55PM
Posted by: Berger_Fan
As far as I know, TC was only used in 1993, then banned, and brought back a few years ago(2001 apparently).
Active, Re-active, or hydraulic suspension systems have been used since 1987 I think. Certainly the first race win using such a suspension system, was by Ayrton Senna at Monaco 1987, in the Lotus Honda.
From 1989 to 1991, only two teams used semi automatic gearboxes Ferrari(being the first from 1989) and Williams(from 1991).

F1archives * Facebook * YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy