GP4 and a keyboard

Posted by aosudif1 
GP4 and a keyboard
Date: March 18, 2006 05:36PM
Posted by: aosudif1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here...

So, here's the deal: I used to play GP2, and was amazed by it. I've play GP3, and it wasn't that great. I've play GP4, and it is the best F1 simulator there is (and I've also play F1 challenge, and eve rFactor).
My problem is physics... I don't have a steering wheel, and playing GP4 with the keyboard is frustrating... specially now, driving around Sepang... the CC line is aweful... the car just won't turn in (for instance, in curve 1), or, sometimes, if you hit a curb on the outside, the car will "stick" to it, and just forget to keep turning, following the curve...

So, the question is: ¿Is there any way to improve the Gp4 experience with a keyboard???

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Re: GP4 and a keyboard
Date: March 18, 2006 05:44PM
Posted by: Sapo
I know what you mean, i have the same problem, you can download Gp4tweaker and turn the steering help off with keyboard. And in malaysia: just slow a bit more down in the corners, than the car will steer just fine, or change the setup so that you have a bit more oversteer.
Date: March 18, 2006 05:46PM
Posted by: Willb
Hi,
Welcome to the community!

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the sepang CC line, its terrible! I find most of the other tracks to be ok though, ill have a play with the sepang cc line and tell you what i find.

Have a go at disabling steering help using gp4 tweaker, this allows you total control of the car, but it is difficult to drive with the keyboard because of its digital nature, give it a go if you want, you may find it better.

Hope this helps.
Wills!

Edit: damn sapo beat me;)!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2006 06:11PM by Willb.
Date: March 18, 2006 07:04PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i use a PS2 controller, but i always leave steering help on, and hate the way, as you say, the computer doesn't let your car go where you want it all the time, especially at Sepang around turns 7 and 8.

but, i have just discovered the sensitivity options in the controller menu.

when you turn of steering help altogether, your car is uncontrollable, because too much input is going into the steering motion.

but if i leave it on, and change some of the setting in the controller menu, i can still have slight steering help, but it's low enough to allow me to drive the line I want, but the car doesn't become uncontrollable as it does when i turn it off completely.

i now use the setting:

low sensitivity zone: 50%
steering help: 40 (was 100)
max steering lock: 12 degrees
reduce sensitivity with speed:70% (was 0)

and now it's fantastic.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 18, 2006 07:30PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I also had a problem with the sepang circuit and driving it

i downloaded the new sepang circuit off Ricardo Lampert's site and now i feel its got a more realistic and easy to drive ccline

dunno if this helps

but it worked for me
Date: March 18, 2006 08:07PM
Thanks for the imput...
I tried sometime ago disabling steering help with gptweaker, but it became uncontrollable, because of the digital nature of the keyboard. Nevertheless, I'll try it again, considering the advice gave by Muks.

@dj: I'm also using Sepang (2005) by Ricardo Lampert, but I didn't notice any difference. Yours is also 2005?

Thank you all.
Date: March 18, 2006 09:18PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Sorry for ignorance, but how can i disable the steering help with the tweaker?
Date: March 18, 2006 10:09PM
kimiraik, its one of the options. Load GP4 Tweaker and look down the list:).

I have redone the speang CC line try it here:
[s51.yousendit.com]
It took about 20 mins so won't be perfect but i think it is alot better especially at turns 1-2 and 7-8 (the double right hander).

Open your S1CT02.DAT with 3d editor and click File->Import->Import CC-Line.
if an error message appear click yes or "Oui", it's just because i named the cc line different to the original but it really doesn't matter.

Feedback always appreciated, hope you like it!

Thanks,
Wills.

Date: March 18, 2006 10:11PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
@aosudif1 are you using csm?

if you are have you put the new dat in the tracks/circuit foler there too

eg on mine : grandprix4\gpsaves\2005\data\(tracks or circuit folder)
Date: March 18, 2006 10:36PM
thanks DJSKYLINE forgot about that:)!

Date: March 18, 2006 11:02PM
Posted by: kimiraik
Date: March 18, 2006 11:04PM
Posted by: F1Master
Same problem here.

Is there any chance WillB that you can put up the actual dat file for download instead of the 3d editor file?

Thanks.

WilliamsF1 Supporters

AMD Athlon64 3400, 512mb Corsair XMS3200LL memory, Asus K8V Deluxe mobo, Powercolor Radeon X800 Pro VIVO, 160G Maxtor HD, Soundblaster Audigy, Windows XP SP2.
Date: March 18, 2006 11:07PM
"Same problem here."

What is the problem?

Im hesitant to upload the dat because it ricardos apart from the CC line:)

Date: March 18, 2006 11:16PM
Posted by: F1Master
Same problem in that I use keyboard and the current cc line is a god damn nightmare.

WilliamsF1 Supporters

AMD Athlon64 3400, 512mb Corsair XMS3200LL memory, Asus K8V Deluxe mobo, Powercolor Radeon X800 Pro VIVO, 160G Maxtor HD, Soundblaster Audigy, Windows XP SP2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2006 11:29PM by F1Master.
Date: March 19, 2006 12:03AM
i have just tried Sepang for the first time since altering the controller settings, amnd i have to say its much much better, the car doesn't seem to be pulled off the track at turns 7 and 8, i can drive it where i want to drive it.

leave steering help on but try changing the settings to the value similar to mine, and see if you get any improvement.

i haven't played Sepang for years, as i hate the track and the stupid cc line, but now after sorting the controller settings, i actually quite enjoyed it!

Date: March 19, 2006 03:26AM
Posted by: Sapo
In turn 7 and 8 it is really a matter of slowing down a bit, than the car is good to handle. It works for me, i don't know if it is good enough to beat the cc cars in ace mode, because you might lose some time...
Date: March 19, 2006 03:54AM
Posted by: v@sh
What does low sensitivity zone and reduce sensitivity with speed options actually do?

I found the settings really helpful btw, less running off at turn 7 and 8 (rarely happens now) but i found that my car tends to understeer more than it use to with the settings.
Date: March 19, 2006 12:12PM
"What does low sensitivity zone and reduce sensitivity with speed options actually do?"

It's the "dead zone" of the controller, try using gp4s tooltips or googleing on define: dead zone:).

Muks, tried my new CC line?

Date: March 19, 2006 02:51PM
no not tried it yet, will have a go later.

the "reduce sensitivity" thing means that when you are going slowly, you can do a big movement of the joystick and you get a big movement for he car left or right, but when you are going 200mph, you want it to react a lot less than it did when you were going very slowly. so my setting of 70% means it will reduce the effectiveness of the steering by 70% when i'm at high speed, otherwise i'd never be able to go in a straight line without weaving dangerously and probably crashing.

it means i can make a big movement at high speed without the car reacting in the same proportion to the input i give it.

something like that.

but before, once you go slightly wide at turn 7, you go off the track, and no matter how much you slow down and steer to the right to get back on the track, it won't let you because you're off the line.

but if you reduce the steering help (mine is now 40% instead of 100), all you have to do is slow a little more, and steer right, and you can continue.

Date: March 19, 2006 04:33PM
Hi guys.. I tried disabling steering help, and it works a lot better turning, but on straights, it's really hard to make it go, well, straight. It tends to go from one side to the other, because there's no steering help to soften the movement. I guess there's no way to improve this.

Luckily, Sepang is out of the way. Now we'll have tracks with better CCLs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy