No offence to our great shapers BUT

Posted by gezere 
Re: No offence to our great shapers BUT
Date: February 14, 2006 04:47PM
Posted by: fongu
to be honest - i think too we need to standardise position or rear wings/front wings and height of rolloverbars and size of t-cams.

Date: February 14, 2006 04:51PM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
I'm gonna have to agree here. I love all the cars that are available, but if the textures are 2048x2048 x3 TGAs, I definitely reduce them down to 1024x1024 x3 TGAs. I don't notice the lose in detail. Besides, reinstall the game freshly, and have a peek at the original cars running on 512x512. They look OK, but maybe not great.
> using lod_0 is a huge performance hit, and for
> other reasons a bad idea. just copy those lod_0 to
> lods 1,2,3 and use default lod_4 and you'll get a
> big improvement
>
> ____
> Tony
>
>

Hi Tony, does this mean copy lod_0 to lod_1, lod_2 and lod_3 and let lod_4 as it is?

@gezere
yeah, we do have family(parents, brother and cousin to look after them) that's not the matter up here, u better read properly :-)
As year passes GP4 still able to manage to be first in F1 games just b'coz of details of cars, tracks,etcc. our great MAKERS are doing good just to make more detail cars FOR SUPERIOR QUALITY that may be high poly faces or low faces. when we are not able to run those cars just stay away from those stuff that's what i did when i am not having good system,if not i'll try to ask others to help me run in the game. i think polygons are not too burden but high-res textures will really let CPU down.

for example, in intweb cars pack u can find textures like hi_williams_a.tex and other one willams_a.tex.
here hi_williams_a.tex is 5mb and willams_a.tex is just 1mb. i'll rename willams_a.tex which is 1MB to hi_willams_a.tex and will delete 5mb hi_willams_a.tex. so in game i find no performance degrade even my system can handle 5mb also.

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Date: February 14, 2006 07:42PM
Posted by: gezere

@ sunil

Pppffff....You definitively don't read my message

I wrotte
>Add only the e_shumi

oohhpp, i am telling an example to those who can't use high textures not for u, why do bother about this.better stop this

only the first line is for u , this could be last post in this thread.
have a nice day

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB
Date: February 14, 2006 09:23PM
@sunil
It's your choice.
Ho....I forgot...congratulation for your sys.
I think I will dream of your signature.

Come back to the subject. shapers, do you have any comments.

May be not...

May be I am alone to try to play GP4 with a 2 years old system.

In this case.....I could return to GP3.

GeZeRe

@GeZeRe

well i hope then GP3 is waiting for u
2 years old system? You're worried about a 2 year old system? Mine's 3 and a half. Yeah fine, even the default game looks @#$%& crap but hey, I'm not threatening to go back to GP2 or some other crap game am I? No, simply because GP4 is actually realistic to it's era in many ways, and is hundreds of times better than any other racing sim devoted to F1 out there
Date: February 14, 2006 10:38PM
Posted by: vesuvius
yeah I have also over 3year old system and gp4 runs fine :)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:04PM
He He it was a joke!
sorry tom_f1 !

No Iam not ready to come back to GP3!

But as you can read in the thread, GP4 is running fine also for me if I don't
include in my cars.wad the E-schumi's ferrari 248.

So I hope he will read this thread and that he will release a "light" ferrari car and that the other shapers will not release all their cars with a shape size larger than 15 000 faces.

Now I think I said all I had to say on this subject.

Have a good night

GeZeRe

Date: February 15, 2006 06:22AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
oh my gosh wat a silly thread
people are giving you help and suggestions on how to increase ur performance and ur basically telling them "its not the problem that i posted"... if u listen to them, IT WORKS... i tried to drive gp4 with all lod_0s on the 2005 mod, i had to restart my computer the game was that slow, so i unticked it and hey presto it worked fine...
also some quick tweaking of ur graphics file and not relying on the in game setup helps drastically... so i suggest and u use these peoples advices on how to play with the new hi res car at a reasonable level that even on low levels looks @#$%& loads better and more accurate then the smaller pollies... if you want to go race arcady games where people dont care about how accurate the shape is (No offence to rh and his team, he does the job that mr i dont listen is complaing about) go play f1c... gp4 is the best f1 simulator and the percentage of people want to set out and have the most accurate game to play...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: February 15, 2006 06:31AM
Posted by: ColdBlood
I agree with gezere

Shapers must cut down the polycount on their cars at this point.

We better look at Enzo's 2000 mod very carefully.
Date: February 15, 2006 08:09AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
then someone else make low poly cars
car shapers make them to look as good as they can
then they feel they have achieved something
not
wow this square box with flicky thigns is the new ferrari

GPGSL WDC Season 4
its possible to make excellent cars with 10,000 polies. 30,000 is too much for any game i think. even if they were all used wisely you just dont need that amount of detail.

____
Tony

Date: February 15, 2006 09:02AM
Posted by: fongu
gezere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Come back to the subject. shapers, do you have any
> comments.
>

i think you'll find a few shapers have posted their comments ;)

Date: February 15, 2006 10:33AM
Posted by: nicol@cciarri
Well...reading this thread, I could'nt stay without replaying.
The first thing that I have to say is that Gezere is basically right in his opinion:
nowadays, all shapers and painters ( me included....the first autocriticism is for me ) , beside the joy and amusement on making new cars and high quality textures, are living a sort of competition on GP4 sites....and this is true.
The first improvement for all GP4 users should be the stop to this sort of competition.
Indeed,everyone wants to make the best car...and therefore, everyone is making, yaer by year, cars more detailed, and more heavy in kbs. The same discussion could be made for textures, where, in my opinion, painters lost in a major level the right dimension, because, honestly, 2048 textures are perfectly not useful for GP4, and they increase dramatically the PO work.
On the other hand, actual cars, as I always said, are often missing in real, good lower lods....So, if You start from a lod 0 of 1100 kb ( or more ), You can't pretend to offer fake lower lods ( specially 1 and 2 ) that are basically the same lods 0. This happened in 2005 for several cars.

I want to tell an anedoctal story, the showed me how different is the philosophy between the GP4 world , and F1 Challenge world game, for example.
Last summer, when I finished my ferrari F2005 ( I finished the first model in May..), I had no painter for this car...after some attempt from the first painter of my team, in September my car was still without livery. Therefore, I offered my car to Rulph Hummerich ( You probably know him, or remember this name ), in my opinion one of the best painter for F1 games ( and personally, a really good friend ).
Well, when Rulph saw for the first time my car, he gently asked to reduce the poly dimensions. From about 1080 kb ( 18000 polys ) I made a new model of about 900 kb ( and about 13000-14000 polys ). He said this car was crazy in polycount, since for EA games ( F1 Challenge ) good cars are about 5000-6000 polys. Therefore, although grateful to me, He gently refused my car.

This is only to say, back to topic, that all new cars for GP4 should be made " cum grano salis " ( latin )...I think, as someone said, that an accurate engine-damage model, or a lot of tiny, small particulars on cars, are good for....renders, but not for the game. From this standpoint, GP4 is becoming an elegant plattform for nice renders. But when you speack about the game...when You speack about playing, I think that good cars could be surely at maximum of 8000-9000 polys, and should have real lower lods.
Regarding textures, I think that for playing, also the "old" 512 x 512 textures were right ( See for example MOD 2002 by GP4 Italia ), but probably the more right size textures, considering actual PC machines, could be 1024. But don't pretend to use Super high textures 2048 ( specially for many cars ) without affecting your Pc performances.
And I use a 3800 ghz PC, with GeForce 7800 GTX.....but this is not a good motive to propose "super heavy "updates for GP4.

Finally...dear friends: this is only my opinion.
I respect the point of views also of other people that prefer high quality textures, and high polycount cars, since probably these files represent an evolution of old GP4 files, and the actual, standard level of PCs can support these kind of GP4 updates.
Best regards.
Nicola
@nicol@cciarri

well said, i agree with u.

by the way, u did good job in F12005 cars.thanks
Date: February 15, 2006 04:58PM
Posted by: Robbin Koolaard
SpaceAce Wrote:
>
> people are giving you help and suggestions on how
> to increase ur performance and ur basically
> telling them "......
> also some quick tweaking of ur graphics file and
> not relying on the in game setup helps
> drastically... so i suggest and u use these
> peoples advices on how to play with the new hi res
> car at a reasonable level that even on low levels
> looks @#$%& loads better and more accurate then
> the smaller pollies...
>
>
>

SpaceAce,

You talk about tweaking the graphics file and a while ago in this threat the config file. Give me please some usefull info on this, as I asked for. I enjoy GP4 very much, but appart from my wife and sons I do have a more than full time job so playing must stay nice. help me out to understand the graphics file and get more power out of GP4, without my cpu burning through the mainboard (figurly speaking that is).
b-tone Wrote:
> its possible to make excellent cars with 10,000
> polies. 30,000 is too much for any game i think.
> even if they were all used wisely you just dont
> need that amount of detail.
>
> ____
> Tony
>
>

indeed - infact I have no idea quite how that ferrari is 32000 polies, I've been modelling (or rather remodelling) a 1991 car recently with a stupid attention to detail - down to modelled suspension pickups and rosejoints, and it's not much over 18000 currently, ok the actual shape is somewhat more basic but it's been manually smoothed to high heaven :P

I think that generally the models don't need a limit, cos you can get perfectly good results without really compromising the quality with 10000 to 12000 polies, but 2048 textures for me is still the way to go. But only a single one, and more for ease of mapping and texturing than anything else - remember it's "only" four 1024s, and the "high res" cars of 2004 I guess generally used at least 3 1024s. It only gets a bit crazy when you have cars mapped in a 1024 stylee but painted on 2048 canvases (ie 3, 4 or more 2048 textures, each weighing in at 12 meg or whatever it is (that might be raw rather than compressed, it's been donkey's years sine I tex'd anything). But the hires textures, or rather misuse of them is definately where the big hit comes from. And as has been said proper LODs are a must if you are going to go nuts with the polies (even if it's a bit hypocritical of me to say that but I'm just a lazy @#$%& :P).

I think there's a point in there somewhere ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy