No offence to our great shapers BUT

Posted by gezere 
i agree with eighth,

well this is how my story in GP4 begin for good system

When i started to see this forum posting some awesome screenshots after subscribing i felt bad and i thought too upgrade my system and kept one aim to play GP4 in 8AAx8AF in 1280x1024 anyhow. but money matters a lot

I bought GP4 in 2002 DECEMBER and left the game away as i am not interested with this game) and in 2004 november when i was searching for updates for F12002 i found this forum and SHOCKED to see how vast GP4 developed.after two years gap i started searching GP4 CD in my house and found that somewhere corner in my shelf's.

installed GP4 and played with updates downloaded from this site.

system spec's

year 2002: PIII 1 GHZ,intel mobo,128mb, onboard video
year 2003: P4 2.4GHZ,845GEBV mobo,256mb,geforce 2 mx 64 MB
year 2004: same as year 2003 but video card changed to geforce 5200 128MB AGP
year 2005: P4 2.8HT,865GBF,512 mb,geforce FX 5200 128 MB
year 2005: P4 3.0HT,865GBF,512 mb,geforce FX 6600GT 128 MB DDR3
in 2005 i changed processor to 3.0HT GHz and also to XFX geforce 5700LE 256MB but no use i can't play GP4 with antilasing and AF in 1280x1024, i started to worry a lot b'coz this game is only my enjoyment. after sometime with over time jobs i gained some money and bought 6600GT.with this card i can play with good settings in 1280x1024 with only 4AAx8AF but not 8AA.

today
year 2006:AMD athlon 64 3500+,ASUS A8N SLI premium,XFX 6800gs XXX edition 256MB DDR3
i can play GP4 in 8AA and 16AF in 1280x1024 with all high settings.
i got very good job as software engineer and in my second salary i did upgrade for my system.

it took nearly 2 years for me to play like this.

@gezere , i can understand ur problem b'coz i came up with same feelings but u can't ask them to not to do hi-res things. u can ask for tips to play in good settings but not like this. no offence man try to gain some money and get good system.

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2006 12:40PM by sunil.
hires all the way
Date: February 14, 2006 12:57PM
Posted by: fongu
wow you go through alot of upgrades - what do you do with the old stufF?

I've not experienced much of a slow down in 2005 mods compared with the season before. I love hi-res stuff - because i prefer a more accurate well made model to a low poly one. However i do agree that it needs to be playable - but thats part of the skill of being a good shaper. I was looking at Enzo's cockpit on last years McLaren with its numberous 2048x2048, its beautiful - but you can do a few things to make it run in low res - lods, lod 1/2 doesnt need to have a great cockpit or great damage model - if shapers make lods properly then use these instead. Also use smaller textures if its a problem. For me I'll always go for the highest spec stuff (running with lod_0). I've only really lost around 10fps on the original.

sunil, ditto on ur two year break with gp4!! i did the same!!

and ive been dying to see super hi-res cars!! i also bought all the new system updates available to run gp4 in 8AA and 16AF in 1280x960. these are my new system specs
AMD Athlon 64b Processor 3200+
2.8GHZ, 2GB of RAM
Ge-Force 6600GT 256mb graphics card
Flash Force Steering Wheel

the game is GOD in this specs!

i also tried gp4 on my friends computer. his system specs are
AMD Athlon 3600+
3.0GHZ, 3GB of RAM
Ge-Force 7800 GTX GPU 512mb graphics card
Logitech MOMO steering wheel
21inch Samsung LCD Monitor

and the game is just totally amazing!!!!!! the feel in his wheel is totally different from mine and is just like real life!

=========================================================================
montohitbmw™

USERBAR CREATOR | NO ONE GETS CLOSER | www.hamachi.cc
@fongu,
i sold my old stuff to my friends who are looking for normal application purpose only.

@montohitbmw,
ur's friend spec was totally awesome and in india,7800GTX and 21 samsung LCD is damn costly more than my salary. must be ur friend is damn rich.

i would have gone for DUAL core AMD's but they are damn costly in india.

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2006 01:44PM by sunil.
raisinberry777 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not many guys care about the kid who has 1.5 Ghz
> and 256mb of RAM

hey, watch it :p

____
Tony

Space age,

Please fill me in on the tweaking side of the config file. It could be a (great) help.
Thanks!!
Well my message has done what it had to do.
Debate about the improvement of the game and what this improvement involve in term of computer investment.

I heard well all you said but are you the majority of the community ? I don

i think i've said this before, but even very hi detailed cars shouldn't matter if good lower lods are available.
at any time the game uses (only guessing):
lod_0: 2
lod_1: 2
lod_2: 2
lod_3: 4
lod_4: 12

so if lod_0 is 1500kb, using a 10kb lod_4 helps alot. and you dont need anything fancy. just the same coloru is enough - ie default ferrari lod4 is fine for 2005.

but you're using lod_0 only so shouldn't really be complaining. using all lods will improve your lot, even if some dont have lower lods.

making lower lods is a pain. the main model is where the fun is as a modeller. for the 95 mod we've made lod1 by deleting the z_cockpit_* objects (*), lods 2 and 3 by deleting some unseen stuff - engine, driver, cockpit etc, and lod_4 is generic and only 5kb or so.
its been a lazy way, but should give a big performance boost.

the 2005 mod has lower lods where they exist, and I've made a generic lod_4 for the cars without lower lods. theres also texture resolution options so the mod should run fine on most computers. i've only got a 1.4ghz processor and with low lods and lo res textures its fine.
other programs can hurt performance alot though.

(*) using lod_0 only causes bad effects with the z_cockpit_ objects, as once a car passes out of the lod_0 distance these objects attach themselves to something else - like suspension. so if a car crashes i nthe distance you'll see a visor or something attached to the damage.

____
Tony

gezere Wrote:
> ,,,...well all you said but are you the majority
> of the community ? I don’t think so.
> You are lucky to have the possibility to buy a
> computer faster than a formula 1 and to improve it
> each year.
>
well lucky doesn't play role to upgrade system or whatever but hard working makes all possible. don't simply say lucky when u don't how hard work others did.

by the way in which resolution ur playing,using all lods will increase a lot of performance of the game and don't bother about missing carshapes when they are far from camera views. using only lod 0 will drastically reduce ur CPU power.

USE ALL LODS to gain performance.

Disabling the mirrors also helps a lot to reduce PO.

Re: No offence to our great shapers BUT
Date: February 14, 2006 02:49PM
Posted by: gezere
Well Sunil,

I am also working (hard, I think) with a family (wife and children), a house to pay, two cars to fill, etc...with other priorities than GP4
and I repeat that you are lucky.LoL

But sometimes I am happy to play GP4 because I like F1 and I would like to continue...

So please, don't reply like this and read fully my message.
Who speak about camera views before you...?
Used only Lod0 is fine for me if I don't use very very very hight resolution shape...

GeZeRe
Used only Lod0 is fine for me if I don't use very very very hight resolution shape...

so you want low detailed lod_0 only, when hi detailed using full lods is much better?

____
Tony

Date: February 14, 2006 02:57PM
Posted by: Forgotten
"Disabling the mirrors also helps a lot to reduce PO."

That´s stupid and it´s not really a solution. IMO
Date: February 14, 2006 03:02PM
Tony.

Who speak about Low detailled lod_0.
Do you think that all 2005 cars are low detailled ?

I say only one thing. Is it really necessary to have cars with 30 000 polygons
to be enjoy to play GP4. I think that 15 000 are generally enough and with
this kind of car, more people will can play GP4 without have the necessity to buy a very expensive computer.

That's all

Bernard
Date: February 14, 2006 03:06PM
Posted by: fongu
30,000 is excessive - my Sauber from 95 (essentially a squar box) has nearly 20, 000 polies mind... dont know how that happened ;)

"Disabling the mirrors also helps a lot to reduce PO."
That´s stupid and it´s not really a solution. IMO

stupid, but only option for some :(

@gezere. 30k polys is too much for any game. people have made great models with under 10k. depends on the modeller, but mdoelling for games is different to modellng for the sake of it.
but if thats what people do then what can you do?
using lod_0 is a huge performance hit, and for other reasons a bad idea. just copy those lod_0 to lods 1,2,3 and use default lod_4 and you'll get a big improvement

____
Tony

Date: February 14, 2006 03:12PM
Posted by: Paco

if that's the case, you can use lod1 as lod0... but as Tony said, is better using hi-res shape plus proper lods than using just a not-so-hi-res lod0.

I'm against sigpics
Forgotten Wrote:
> "Disabling the mirrors also helps a lot to reduce
> PO."
>
> That´s stupid and it´s not really a solution. IMO

It's not stupid - it helped a lot to reduce my PO.

But of course I agree that it isn't the big solution for this problem.

There is no sense to use 2048x2048 texture maps with cars, because you can get good looking car if texture size is 1024x1024. This also helps to get lower PO.

I always when i do new objects to my track, i try keep one thing in my mind.

Use reasonable number of polys to object and add details to texture.

Gtz
Date: February 14, 2006 04:20PM
@Tony,

I am happy to see that you are agree with me

The last E-shumi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy