Posted by: kentauro
i agree
these cars are made for screenshots not to play
anyway they work because they enjoiy it , they can do cars the way they like it
not criticism , just an advice
Re: No offence to our great shapers BUT
Date: February 13, 2006 09:46PM
Posted by: laurent
well, the most recent cars AMWAYS have a high poly-damage model...

it's only there where the polys are used.... I made a car with about 10000 polys, I made for lod 2 a car without the damage thing, and the car has about 7000 polys....

Engines are indeed nice to look at... but if I crash in GP4 I press esc, and I won't take a look for 10min to an engine lol.

But in my opinion, the carshapers do what they like, and if they want to make a high poly car... np, we can always change it ourself after downloading for own use anyway ;-)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:08PM
Posted by: Lord Kamder
you are not well informed guys.
Hi-poly shapes are not the problem, hi-res textures are.
By the way you need good lower lods (not everyone do them) ;-)

[www.gp4italia.org]
Date: February 13, 2006 10:14PM
Posted by: MarcA
Don't the shapes play a part?

Date: February 13, 2006 10:23PM
Posted by: laurent
f course shapes do :-|

just try to delete the hi res tex, and drive again, you'll gain maybe 20-30% PO, but the other 20-30 is due to the shape (here it is)
Date: February 13, 2006 10:49PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
They do, but not by much> A track is essentially the same thing as a car shape, only much more split up, and about 6x the polies (depending the shape you are comparing to). If you use a 2048x2048 map on the stands down the main straight (let's say these are hi-detail stands, 3,000 polies) your PO will exponentially increase as soon as you see that stand. However, if you use a 256x256 map and repeat it alot across the stand, then your PO increase will be virtually nought
Date: February 13, 2006 10:55PM
Posted by: Robbin Koolaard
Gezere,

I ran into trouble with the McLaren of DJVASS and the BMW. (see my threat random performance problems). My PC is cooking all over the place. PO of 1200. It's crazy. I like to play with a accurate level of detailed cars too, but I need efficient cars, the Mclaren and BMW, together with the e-schumi Ferrari 248 drove my CPU nutts. Its not some much the shape, its more complicated I guess. The paint job does also have its (more than) fair share in driving PO to bizar heights. So painters and shapers please let's make GP4 playable for those who are running systems with less resources.

My machine has a Athlon 2000+, 512MB memory and a GeForce 420. Many poeple have more or less the same.

Thanks for giving this a second thought and please help the majority of the GP4 community play a accurate as possible car at a reasonable PO.
Date: February 13, 2006 11:05PM
Posted by: keiran
The problem for you Robbin is your using a computer that's probably what is required to run the default GP4 cars. 512MB of RAM these days just isn't enough and a GeForce 420 is well outdated. You wouldn't run the latest games on that machine and GP4 is essentially been taken to the level of new games.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: February 13, 2006 11:13PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
AS Lord Kamder said High Polie shapes dont rlly have much effect its processing the high res textures which is more of your problem.
If you have problems use lower lods or lower res textures.

One thing that annoys me is people clearly not having a system to run something yet pressing ahead especially with regards to high res tracks.
Date: February 13, 2006 11:28PM
Posted by: Robbin Koolaard
Keiran,

I hear you. I ran a lot of 2005 spec cars just fine (hardly default don't you think?). Of course not all the hardware is up to date.
GP4 is the only game I play. A new level of games, allright. I do understand that. I'm not the only one who's have these problems, am I? I enjoy the pictures in the picture threat, realizing I cannot play at that level, but I like to race time to time. I enjoyed last years cars, but this "new level" does mean that every one of us has to buy the nearly latest specs, every year... think about that, not everybody can effort that, not nowadays anyway.
Another thought: why is EA not matching GP4 for the last 3 or 4 years? Because they can't? I doubt that very much, the reason might be found in the "old" systems out there (installed base). And no I will not use EA's F1 game, enough reasons not to ;-)

Date: February 13, 2006 11:57PM
Posted by: keiran
I by no means have a decent computer if you infer that I'm keeping upto date with hardware. Although I do see why I can't run this game at the standards seen in the screenshot thread. If you look at new games being released every year then to run them well you do need to upgrade your computer every year. Thats just one of the things with technology it keeps advancing meaning the average spec of computer devs work to rise.

Keiran

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Date: February 14, 2006 12:28AM
Posted by: madotter
I think the computers are getting better and better and more and more people are upgrading. Dont want to seem a bit harsh but why should the higher spec pc people get 'put down' graphics??? Theres more people with hig end pcs than not. I dont see hardly anyone complaining other than the few here.
Date: February 14, 2006 02:24AM
Posted by: aims20
i'll say this much, if you upgrade your computer yourself (and do it correctly of course) its a great feeling :) most upgrades are simple too....

anyway, perhaps shapers could just do what they've been doing releasing hi-res and low res textures and models.... I don't see a problem with that....

Posted by: madotter (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2006 12:28AM

I think the computers are getting better and better and more and more people are upgrading. Dont want to seem a bit harsh but why should the higher spec pc people get 'put down' graphics??? Theres more people with hig end pcs than not. I dont see hardly anyone complaining other than the few here.

You do not get worse graphics if the modeler does the job correctly. There is no need for 32,000 polys on an inaccurate shape.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 14, 2006 05:16AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
i have Pentium 2.4ghz,512mb ram and a Geforce MX440SE
it doesnt come much worse then that these days and with a little tweaking of the config file on b-tones mod with everything at high set on the mod i could easily settle it down at 100 and still get awesome graphics... just takes a little time to set it up

GPGSL WDC Season 4
i'd say the biggest thing is low lods.
even hi res textures use lower mip mpas so you're likely to be only seeing one or two 2048 textures at a time. but having 22 1mb cars on screen hurts.
lod 4 for instance only needs to be a handful of polys, and with 1995 for insace i've noticed improvements just by using a generic lod_4 and lod_0 otherwise.

____
Tony

Date: February 14, 2006 06:28AM
Posted by: raisinberry777
Not many guys care about the kid who has 1.5 Ghz and 256mb of RAM ;)
Date: February 14, 2006 07:12AM
Posted by: eighth
gezere Escrito:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to push a cry! It

________________________________________________________________________________________________

eighth ยทยท Juandi Sanchez
Date: February 14, 2006 07:26AM
Posted by: Karan19
Mini Maestro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing that annoys me is people clearly not
> having a system to run something yet pressing
> ahead especially with regards to high res tracks.
>

And I'm still pressing for that Sepang update what happened to it Mini? :( ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy