New to GP4 need help please!

Posted by MarkWS 
New to GP4 need help please!
Date: January 01, 2006 06:24PM
Posted by: MarkWS
Hi

I've been a big fan of GP3 for years but recently borrowed a mates GP4. I really like it, trouble is out of the box season is 2001. I'm very familiar with GP3Edit, Careditor and GP3cockpit editor etc but have no idea what to use for GP4. Is there an equivalent to GP3Edit for GP4?

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a season update, inc performance and also what software is commonly used like those above for GP3.

Any help most appreciated as I don't have as much time as I would like to browse :o(

Cheers
Mark
Re: New to GP4 need help please!
Date: January 01, 2006 07:09PM
Posted by: brunoboi
[www.motorsportfotos.co.uk]

here is a guide that was quite useful to me when i first got the game, there are also quite a lot of newbie problems that are resolved in the forum

hope this helps

Date: January 01, 2006 07:51PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Welcome to the forum, MarkWS:)

The FAQs may also help you: [www.grandprixgames.org]

If you want to have the newest season update, just wait one or two weeks. b-tone will release a great 2005 mod including everything you can imagine:)

Date: January 01, 2006 08:52PM
Ok thanks for the reply! I've downloaded the Karans car wad etc from www.motorsportfotos.co.uk] and my system ground to a stop!!! It runs great on standard install. Karans cars have too much detail me thinks for a 2.3Ghz machine!! I'll have to wait for b-tones.

Cheers
Date: January 01, 2006 10:09PM
Do you also use Karan's graphics.cfg?
If so, just replace it by your old graphics.cfg and it will run fine. I even have 2.66 GHz and it runs fine, but when I use Karan's .cfg file my PC is almost dying:)

Date: January 02, 2006 07:10AM
Posted by: darcy
Karan's .cfg file is poo, i have a state of the art (-ish) PC, and it runs a PO of 4,000 odd, i use btone's graphics, but yeah, replace Karan's with the original.
Date: January 03, 2006 02:04AM
I've also tried that and it's not much better!!! weird. May uninstall and re-install GP4!!

This is my machine XP DIM2400, 2.6Ghz 768 RAM, RADEON 128 9200 SE

This should be ok yes???

Cheers
Date: January 03, 2006 10:34AM
Absolutely. Your system is quite good. Perhaps you should reinstall GP4.

Date: January 03, 2006 10:41AM
Posted by: b-tone
hi mark and welcome :)

your system is better than mine, and i can run the 2005 set ok. you should be able to run it on high once its out.
have you got csm, gpxpatch installed?

____
Tony

Date: January 03, 2006 11:59AM
Posted by: Scuderio KL
Ruboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> If you want to have the newest season update, just
> wait one or two weeks. b-tone will release a great
> 2005 mod including everything you can imagine
>
>

What, yes!!
this would be nice..
Now, I'm struggling with putting everything into wright order and stuff...
It would be nice when someone does he who knows what he's doing ;)

I'm also new to GP4..
played and updated and changed everything in GP3 so far..
But it won't work for GP4 at the moment...
Date: January 03, 2006 12:03PM
take a look here: [www.grandprixgames.org]

and in the meantime get your game running nicely so its ready ;)
install the oficial 9.6 patch, gpxpatch 3.91, CSM 1.25 build 45, and maybe grab some other mods so you get the hang of installing and using them.
the 1991 beta might be available, or the '2005 Melbourne' set from dragon racing - its a very early version of the upcoming final release, but should work.

____
Tony

Date: January 03, 2006 04:31PM
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to perform a reinstall and as b-tone said, get the system ready for the update. I will have another go with the karans wads and see. Interesting that others have used it no problem.

b-tone - will the update be a gp4.exe and updated wads or will we have to install using editors?

Cheers

Mark
Date: January 03, 2006 04:46PM
Posted by: GLD
You just need CSM for it...so you DL the mod, double click the file and CSM will install it...then to play it you run CSM as opposed to the GP4.exe and away to go

Please click my sig!
Date: January 03, 2006 06:14PM
Ok cheers. Have done that and it worked excellent. It's good that all these wad and exe files are restored after too.

I'll await b-tones final cut now.

Cheers

Mark
Date: January 04, 2006 03:57PM
Just one last question if I may.

When I used CSM it restored the original wads back to the basic install. Is there a way of permanently patching the wads with the Tony's update once it's out? I noticed a few extra options at the top of the screen when launched with CSM, such as Traction control etc. Does CSM link in with GPxPatch?

Regards

Mark
Date: January 04, 2006 04:51PM
yep csm and gpxpatch work together.
if you unheck 'quickstart' in csm gpxpatch will open once the set is loaded.
as for making it permanent you can disable 'auto restore' in the csm menus somewhere. that will keep the current set loaded, so you'll have to restore it before using a different set

____
Tony

Date: January 04, 2006 05:03PM
Thats probably the easiest way to do it...i mean you could go about it using easywad and completely overwriting the 2001 stuff but thats complicated and a pain in teh behind...CSM is the best utility ever....

You heard it here first :P

GPxPatch is pretty good too tho...so is 3DEditor...dammit so much good stuff!!

Please click my sig!
Date: January 05, 2006 01:24PM
Thanks for all your help guys. It's made my introduction to GP4 easy. I'm quite happy with it now and not having spent much time 'fiddling'.

Regards

Mark
Date: January 05, 2006 01:28PM
Ah but fiddling (with a backup handy just in case) is one of the many joys of GP4...you should have been here when it was first released...that was a barrell of laughs lol

Please click my sig!
Date: January 05, 2006 02:23PM
I can well imagine. I spent so much time on GP3 to get it looking good it was a joke. I was patching everything to the point where it started to run slow. It atually slower the GP4 as it's heavily biased towards Gfx card rather then processor power. GP4 is nice as is and Tonys update will be the icing.

I do like fiddling but just hanv't got as much time these days.. :o(

Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy