GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: May 09, 2007 10:17PM
Posted by: Ruboy
At the moment I cannot check this. I had some problems with my harddrive last week and thus have to install GP4 again next week.
Maybe someone else can have a look at this.

But feel free to tell your result :)

Date: May 10, 2007 09:06AM
Posted by: Camacho
Good morning friends!!

Thanks to Ruboy. The correct option is... 3!! Je, je!!

I have changed the material to another with 2 sided and now the flag is there. Thanks a lot for give me the solution. Thanks a lot.

Please some help. Thanks in advance and a very happy racing from spain!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2007 08:18AM by Camacho.
Date: May 10, 2007 09:15AM
Posted by: b-tone
more on cc lines from [www.grandprixgames.org]

cc line can affect laptimes if its very bad. if there is a big bad spot in the cc line then laptimes will never be too good.
the default a1 ring last turn is an example - cc cars are too quick. also suzuka turn 1 has too many accidents - another problem with some cc lines.

has anyone studied how the cc line works? hwat a long/short sector does, what difference using 1 sector with 2 angles, or 2 sectors etc. default tracks have alot of 1 or 2 length cc parts - are they braking points or is it just random?

____
Tony

Date: May 10, 2007 05:46PM
I experienced that it is defitintely better to use one section with two angles than using two shorte sections for one curve. Why? At the transition between the two sections the cars (both player and cc-cars) drive straight on for a short moment before steering again. CC cars are loosing speed and the player cannot drive smoothly through the corner.

If it is possible then chose this option. Of course there are also complex curves which require two or three sections...but if possible always enable second angle, too.

Date: May 10, 2007 05:52PM
Just copied my other post with additional information:

Laptimes should be determined by magic data and performance file, not by cc-line.
It is important that the cc-line is realistic, allows smooth driving for keyboarders and also cc-cars have realistic speed in the corners.
You should try to create a cc-line giving approximately very similar gaps for each of the three intermediates between your and the cc-car's fast laps. For example, if you are 0.9 seconds quicker than the others and the track layout is regular then you should gain 0.3 seconds per intermediate - or if the laptimes are very close to each other then also the intermediate should be. Of course this may vary because often a circuit has both slow intermediates with many curves and fast intermediates with straights at the same time (for example Indianapolis or old Hockenheimring). It cannot be this exact as I have described.
To underline this I give a example of how it should not be. I experienced this already but I have forgotten at which track. I was at the same level with the fastest cc-car...so lap difference of 0.0 sec. But now look at the intermediates: Int 1: +0.6 , Int 2: -0.8 , Int 3: +0.2
These are the fastest laps and it was impossible to go much quicker...or slower ^^
In this example it means that I was much slower in Int 1, but extremely quicker in Int 2 whereas the third intermediate (Int 3) can be considered as realistic. The same situation in the race - the result: Impossible to follow and overtake the cc-cars in Int 1, but much too easy in Int 2 because they are so slow, whereas Int 3 was realistic. That 's not a good cc-line and it does not make much fun to drive as it does not provide a realistic race.

Ok, I have explained my opinion and experiences a bit detailed now
I just wanted to show that cc-line should not focus on laptimes, but on realism, 'driveability' (does this word exist? ) and similar competitiveness of player and cc-cars.
Latimes are supposed to be determined by performance files (and magic data).

Date: May 10, 2007 09:21PM
Posted by: b-tone
Is any more known about pitlane length? I get an error - 'pitlane exceeding 1500 sectors' but its only 300 or so, and the whole track about 1000.
The track loads, but can crash when I drive past the pit entry, and also the pit bin won't load.

____
Tony

Date: May 11, 2007 08:16AM
Hi friends!

In magny cours 2006(2006 MOD):
For my own use I have inserted small flags at the top of the pit building. Everything is ok but, they are only shown in qualyfing and races. When I run in practice they are hidden. What can I do to show them in practice too??

Another question: I want to insert the green surface that surrounds a kerb(in france), exactly in the last chicane shown in the image. I noticed that in 2006 the right kerb has a green area surrounding it.

What is the best way to insert something like this? I tried inserting new object and trying to place it but the result is bad.

Please some help. Thanks in advance and a very happy racing from spain!!

Date: May 11, 2007 09:34AM
Posted by: TTM
Change flag object class to example Misctso..

About green surface..

There is no easy way to insert the green surface.. You have to model green surface object...

Topview:
Date: May 11, 2007 09:45AM
Hi friend!!

Thanks for answer. The class is MISCTSO and only appear in races...

A very happy racing from spain!!!

Date: May 11, 2007 12:22PM
Posted by: TTM
Oh, i totally forgot.. I had same problem with some flags.. Rename flag object to example f-01.
Date: May 11, 2007 02:05PM
Posted by: _Erix_
Ruboy schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I experienced that it is defitintely better to use
> one section with two angles than using two shorte
> sections for one curve.

I noticed that the AI slowed down dramatically during a fast curve which caused me to crash into them. They lose 0.8 sec on that sector (intermediate) alone while the other two sectors were very competitive. The cc-line is divided into two sections during that corner. I'll try a singe section with two curve values instead.

/edit
Works like a charm! Thanks for the wisdom Ruboy :)

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2007 03:08PM by _Erix_.
Date: May 11, 2007 03:55PM
Nice :)

@Camcho:

Have a look if the object has the string 'FULL' in its name. If so just delete the word FULL.

I know that you can add the word 'FULL' to CROWD objects...this way the object is displayed only for qualifying and race, but not for practice sessions.

Date: May 21, 2007 12:52PM
Hi all friends!!

A simple question:

If I want to edit a track, only few sectors, I must have to rebuild the complete .dat or I can edit only the sectors of the track that I want?

Thanks in advance and a very happy racing from spain!!!

Date: May 21, 2007 02:11PM
Posted by: Lo2k
You can simply displace a few sectors and eventually add a few sectors to model a portion of the track the way you want. It's fast and easy.
Anyhow, as long as you only edit the .dat, it won't change track graphically.
GP4Builder can anyhow quickly create new .bin and .col files to let you see new tarmac sections in game and have correct shadows.

Date: May 23, 2007 11:12PM
Posted by: Webber Fan
Is it possible to make texture for dark braking marks on tarmac, you know like Malaysia, light tarmac but almost black rubber markings? I think it would be cool for tracks like Bahrein, Malaysia and even Monaco.

[webberfanscreens.blogspot.com]
Date: May 25, 2007 08:38PM
Posted by: nvooght
Im using GP4 Builder 1.0.6.1
and im making a fictional track but can anyone give me any tips on getting the track lined up?
Date: June 02, 2007 06:06PM
Posted by: _Erix_
I can't get the trackdatabase to work properly. I'm sure I'm missing something here. I choose "create .dat debug list" and select "real Z position" and save it as a txt file. When I open it I see all sectors and their Z positions.
Do I have to manually add the TPOS and the 4 digit numbers? I tried that but all I got was this error:
---------------------------
GP4 Builder 1.0.6.1
Lecture au-delĂ  de la fin de fichier.
OK

[1991] [2003] [2004] [gp2 world series]
Date: June 02, 2007 06:19PM
Posted by: Paco
the text file should look like this:

TPOS0001 x-value y-value z-value
TPOS0002 x-value y-value z-value
TPOS0003 x-value y-value z-value
TPOS0004 x-value y-value z-value
TPOSxxxx x-value y-value z-value

it doesn't have to start in 0001 and finish in the last sector, you might have a 50-200 interval if you want, but you HAVE to specify all 3 coordinates, you can't have just one of them.

having said this, i can't get the pitlane database to work, it works for the track sectors, but not for the pitlane :S

I'm against sigpics
Date: June 05, 2007 02:15PM
Posted by: TheDarkListener
I have a question...
i have created a fictional track with dat and wad ;)
but i dont get a cc-line...
Give it tricks to create a cc-line?

i havent all read it here because i cant english so good...

mfg TDL
Date: June 08, 2007 05:29PM
Posted by: carling
could someone take alook at my fantasy track as bits of tarmac are missing at times on track. The dat and wad files are includ and if someone could do the cc line for me i would grateful thanks in advance.

[www.filefactory.com]

here's another download link if anyone is having trouble with first link

[rapidshare.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2007 06:27PM by carling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy