It's time to set some rules on carshaping and carpainting

Posted by Enzojz 
It's time to set some rules on carshaping and carpainting
Date: September 05, 2005 12:59PM
Posted by: Enzojz
For e.g , the way the files release.

I suggest use Lo2k's tool + WinRAR self-extract file , though I used to use my own tool , but it has some bugs.

and if the breakdisc is necessary

I have an idea to put the breakdiscs in wheel file , and use a total black to map it , ;leave some space inner the wheel.

I'll do an expirment on this later this time , prove my theory.

But beofer we do that , we use set a coordinate vaule to control the size of breakdisc on the car.

Some rules are helpful to the community , and some gernal knowladges must to emphsized . e.g the shape of the breakdisc (some carpainters think the weight on it when the car is in the garage is part of it , my god)

The filename set.
We'd better use 2001 names , but no order.

The basic size , the height of the car , the height of the T-Cam , the width related to the wheel ..etc(I have such a file to meansure them)

The files used with files , coz some use 1 , some use 3 , my NT uses 5 or 6 sometimes , that will put too much unnecessary files in rookie's cars.wad , we must set two size standard :1024 and 2048 , 512 can be the history.

We'd better set a rule to stanardzie some file size , e.g helmet texture size , visor textures size , in order to cut unncecssary cpu cost , all we will destory the GP4 in no-stoping PO cost.

We must do LODs , set a rule that the first LOD , the second LOD...is how much big of the LOD 0.

Lot's of works to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2005 01:00PM by Enzojz.
You are right Enjonz.

It would be fantastic to have some rules on carshaping and carpainting
to avoid problems with these files.

All you said is good, but I want to add one thing:

-The maximun number of poligons in a carshape, helmetshape ...

By the way, if somevody want to make a gp4 car, read my turorial

[www4.uji.es]

Vicente

some rules are ok, but theres too many people and no enforcer for it to work. and some are unecesary.

> I suggest use Lo2k's tool + WinRAR self-extract
> file , though I used to use my own tool , but it
> has some bugs.

i prefer just the files in a rar.

> The filename set.
> We'd better use 2001 names , but no order.

for carshapes it doesnt matter, but textures should have unique names. bloated wads wont cause any harm, but running a 2004 ferrari as your 2005 11th team is impossible for a rookie if they both use ferrari.tex names.

> The files used with files , coz some use 1 , some
> use 3 , my NT uses 5 or 6 sometimes , that will
> put too much unnecessary files in rookie's
> cars.wad , we must set two size standard :1024 and
> 2048 , 512 can be the history.

i'll call 512 history when you send me a decent gfx card and processor :p

> We'd better set a rule to stanardzie some file
> size , e.g helmet texture size , visor textures
> size , in order to cut unncecssary cpu cost , all
> we will destory the GP4 in no-stoping PO cost.

people without the power can downsample easily.

> We must do LODs , set a rule that the first LOD ,
> the second LOD...is how much big of the LOD 0.

LODs are great for slower pcs, but also a lot of work. maybe someon should creat a generic lod_2,3,4 for the lazy modders. in the 1979 mod we have a generic lod_4 with its own mapping/texture.

otherwise i think all things should be made with CSM in mind. Its the only set tool, and hopefully will only grow in usage. I plan a 2006 set similar to the 2005 one and with most CSM bugs ironed out this year it will be much more user friendly.
also with the same (or more) support from the community it will be better.

____
Tony

Can I get my Williams out first, before a limit is introduced on polys!!!!

;)
My idea , you can creat 5 LOD , LOD0 for Hi-res , LOD1 or normal.
the dimeensions should be right an the same too, e.g. hight and widht... i noticed many different cars in this case...
Re: It's time to set some rules on carshaping and carpainting
Date: September 06, 2005 12:47AM
Posted by: loren
For the dimensions like width and height, locations of wings, etc, there is NEVER any excuse for not having them right. You can get the technical regs from the FIA's website, and these give all the basic dimensions for the cars. Don't just use the default cars as a base either, most of these are wrong.

In my opinion, rules on polycounts, LODs, common textures, etc should be controlled by the mod team if you have one. However, I'd be the first to agree that something should be done to keep polycounts in check
I think it's better to map in only 1 texture instead of 3.
I use textures in low-res (512x512), but I get better quality with the cars that have only one 1024x1024 texture (like Minardi or R25) that the cars that have three 512x512 textures (like the others).

2005-2006-2007 Realistic Perfomances, Physic & magicdata
2005-2006 Realistic TV trackcams
2005-2006 Realistic Onboard Cameras
2006 Realistic cc-lines
2006 Sounds

Available in:[marianodicarlo.googlepages.com]
Msn: marianodicarlo@gmail.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy