DXT 1 Vs DXT 5?

Posted by Willb 
DXT 1 Vs DXT 5?
Date: July 25, 2005 03:08PM
Posted by: Willb
Hi all,

Whats the difference between DXT1 and DXT5 in regard to Tex Resizer? Will dxt5 cause a performace decrease over dxt1?

Thanks

Wills

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Re: DXT 1 Vs DXT 5?
Date: July 25, 2005 03:41PM
Posted by: _tux_
the smallest file size with best quality is the best file.

bigger file will decrease performance (loading times) and swapping in and out of vram if the gfx card deosnt have enolugh ra,
Date: July 25, 2005 04:05PM
Posted by: six degrees
....yes..

but the actual difference is one allows transparency (TSOs like trees & fences for example) the other allows the variance in reflection levels. I think DXT5 is the reflection one, could be wrong tho - it's been a long time since I tex'd anything :p
Date: July 25, 2005 09:29PM
Posted by: Dahie
technically, dxt1 gives you a 1 bit alpha channel -> black/white,
dxt5 gives you 8 bit -> 256 grey

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: July 25, 2005 09:52PM
Posted by: Lo2k
well, it's not that simple :) and I even found a new setting yesterday for a 1bit alpha DXT5...

Well DXT1 files are basically 4 times smaller than equivalent DXT5 ones (due to compresion algorythms, no or 1bit alpha mask basically).
DXT1 only support opaque or 1 bit alpha mask (meaning some 1 pixels could be 100% opaque or 100% transparent and no trade off).
DXT5 support 8bit transparency (256 shades of transparency) or 1bit (as I discovered lately).

All in all and particular in GP4, using DXT5 textures could some times lead to some weird objects front to others when they should be backwards. In such case, DXT1 should be used instead of DXT5 as a first fix.

Date: July 26, 2005 12:11AM
Posted by: Mr Pibb
How can I convert DXT5 tex files to DXT1?

I have made lots of new tex files via GP4 Master but they've all come out as DXT5's. Can I save the TGA's as 24 bit? Will that give me DXT1 files? Or is there something I must do to the alpha channel?

Date: July 26, 2005 12:25AM
save it using texresizer... gp4master is *so* old hat ;)

click on the image in Lo2k's sig to go to his site and dl :)
Date: July 26, 2005 12:35AM
Posted by: Mr Pibb
Thanks six degrees.

I've got Tex Resizer, but I can't seem to be able to convert from DXT5 down to DXT1. It opens the tex files as DXT5 and I can't see any option to change them to DXT1.

Am I missing something?

**edit** Scrap that, I just realised I was using tex resizer v2.0... OOPS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2005 12:53AM by Mr Pibb.
Date: July 26, 2005 12:52AM
tex resizer 2.2? there are radio buttons, you just click dxt1 or dxt5 :p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy