Need some suggestions (fictional car)

Posted by Sniper 
Re: Need some suggestions (fictional car)
Date: January 23, 2005 11:31AM
Posted by: Max Downforce
@Sniper: Top one is better imo but not with the main Senso logo as the black part totally dissappears in the blue.

But the second one has some interesting possibillities in it too. I would love to see the following experiment. Towards the rear add more blue instead of red. Because the blue and the yellow go very well together but the red is a bit too much, so use that mildly.

All the people flaming on template cars and odd shapes... really pathetic. Not all of us are blessed with the skills and knowledge to be a great carpainter or shaper. The truly great ones pass on their knowledge and help other people and making templates helps a lot of people to achieve their goal of getting their own car in GP4, which is a kick for a lot of people who play GP4.

For comparison: why buy a house or if you could build one yourself? ;) well some of us are people who like to build houses for others or themselves and there are a lot of people who just like to have their own house and hang up some pretty paintings and mawn their own lawn.

Disclaimer: if the "template sucks" comments where meant humouristicly that did not came accross very well.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: January 23, 2005 11:46AM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
True, plus I would argue that fictional cars are all about the design of the car, and how good it looks, not about messing about with bodywork lines and shading. If you are good enough to shape then you can design your own car, but for those of us who arent, we have to make do.
Making real cars in GP4 is another matter, they are not about designing yourself, they are about the quality of the reproduction, and therefore are a whole other matter.

Date: January 23, 2005 12:37PM
Posted by: Sniper
Thanks guys, I'll try to finish the car this afternoon and I want to say that I'm starting to be pissed to all those guys who don't have respect for others...

I can't shape, I can't map,... so what??
There are template cars for guys like me, and if you don't like template cars then just shut up and comment other things and help me with the car...

Quite childish reactions from you guys!!

Check out our website: www.heikkikovalainen.net
Date: January 23, 2005 12:39PM
Sniper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I can't shape, I can't map,... so what??

But you can paint! And quite nice too ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: January 23, 2005 12:44PM
Posted by: six degrees
sorry if it came across poorly, it just quite frankly pisses me off when people come along with ok template cars and people respond with "omg best car evar!!" or similar, yet when genuine new cars get posted (like the FW17 recently, or my PS04B) they either get ripped to shreds or completely ignored..
Date: January 23, 2005 12:51PM
so do you have a problem with people who enjoy painting cars and can't shape them????

Date: January 23, 2005 12:59PM
Posted by: Stan
nup thats not what he said
read it better ;-)

Date: January 23, 2005 01:07PM
then it's ok for me ;-)

which sponsor should be cool for the sidepod?

Date: January 23, 2005 01:14PM
I HATE YOU SNIPER

clear enough?

jk ;) it just annoys me that template cars seem to get more credit than a 100% from scratch car (shape, mapping, template/textures) when the template cars are generally a couple of hours work.. no more, no less :)

I have no issue with templates, I learnt a lot from them and from Ray, and I still use templates in GTP.. so yeah, people annoy me :p
Date: January 23, 2005 01:21PM
Depends on what you like more. Perfect reproduction and craftmanship on the F1 cars or fresh ideas on the fantasy cars and shapes (with or without templates). It's personal which you prefer.

It also depends on the level of involvement in GP4 editting. Some people have been around a while and i tend to be more critical towards them (and vice versa probably ;) ) because you don't want someone to make the same car over and over again. But if someone new has some fresh ideas i tend to value that more to encourage them to take it to another level.

My believe is that a high level of craftmanship can be achieved through a lot of practise and learning. But the ideas come from inside. Most people have one or two great cars in their system. Templates provide these people with a platform to exercise their ideas on they usually have no interest in learning shading etc...

I'm not an expert in this field but i know what i like. As much as i admire any f1 painter or shapers work. It just doesn't cut it for me to reproduce something. It's great craftmanship but not original in my book and i suppose there are people who think exactly the opposite but hey, no problem let's enjoy everyone's work and tell the creators if we like it.

Everyone who's been a while in GPx knows that "OMG best car ever!" is to be taken lightly. It can be a nice car, cool car or great car but best car ever is a bit over the top so ignore that bit or replace that with "hey i like your car very much".

www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: January 23, 2005 01:32PM
@Sniper: for the sidepod issue....you got into trouble there my friend.

Food for thought:
I always work the other way round. First get a main sponsor, use the colors of that sponsor to make your design, This way you can NOT go wrong (and the car usually looks better too that way). The secret is to make a car which has a great design that is a background (an no more than that!) for your sponsors or even better...compliment the sponsors. You should view the car as a whole. Design and sponsors work together to make it a great car. Think a bit like sponsors do, who won't be happy if their logo is visible on the car although the car has a great design.

If you have a flashy design you'll ruin it by sticking sponsors on it (think that one over a bit and you'll probably understand what i'm trying to say).

www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: January 23, 2005 01:33PM
Max Downforce Wrote:
> I'm not an expert in this field but i know what i
> like. As much as i admire any f1 painter or
> shapers work. It just doesn't cut it for me to
> reproduce something. It's great craftmanship but
> not original in my book and i suppose there are
> people who think exactly the opposite but hey, no
> problem let's enjoy everyone's work and tell the
> creators if we like it.

fair point, I'm one of the exact opposite I guess :p
Date: January 23, 2005 01:39PM
hehe, well then just don't criticise people who use templates...

And maybe you could start helping others if they ask help, just like Max does!

Cheers :-)

Date: January 23, 2005 01:49PM
I can understand it if you are pissed when you worked on something for days, weeks and months, you're very proud at what you achieved and noone says something nice on it or worse.... people say it sucks.

But the ultimate goal is to feel good about it yourself even if noone gives you praise. If you make cars to satisfy other people then stop at once, you'll never be satisfied. I learned that too. Once you agree with yourself that you'll do your stuff and feel good about it and don't give a f*ck about what other people think of it then you'll reach a higher level of carpainting (or life if you wish....)

Well that's about it...join us next week for more "Learning to Live".

www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: January 23, 2005 01:51PM
haha lol

Date: January 23, 2005 02:01PM
Max Downforce Wrote:
> I can understand it if you are pissed when you
> worked on something for days, weeks and months,
> you're very proud at what you achieved and noone
> says something nice on it or worse.... people say
> it sucks.

it's not really that, it's just when something doesn't really get many replies at all, then a template car gets loads all of which are the same...

every model I do I do for me first, if other people like it or can help me improve it, then great... but if hardly anybody says anything I might as well just keep it to myself..

Date: January 23, 2005 02:12PM
that's not my problem six degrees! You don't have no idea how many respect I have for shapers and other guys who create something.

And this topic is not about the respect for other but to help with the car so please stop now...

Date: January 23, 2005 02:14PM
That's a phenomenon which baffles me too. But maybe it has to do with the way we perceive other people's work and behaviour on forums. We think all kinds of things on people who we don't even know and a lot is misinterpreted often so don't worry about that too much and just create great things which make you happy. If other people like it too that's a bonus.

Another thing you can do if you feel people are missing out on something truly amazing, is kicking the thread up with minor changes but that'll soon annoy the hell out of people so don't use that technique often ;)

www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: January 23, 2005 03:25PM
Posted by: b-tone
i fully agree with nick - i started on templates and other stuff but now i'm doing full mods and i get a bit pissed of when i get a few comments and fantasy cars gets loads. but then agin i do value the comments i get as they are usually from more experienced 'modders' and people with similar interests.

i also fully agree with sniper. comments should be 'nice car' or 'bad car because....' but never just 'bad car'
theres absolutle no point in posting non constructive criticism. everyone got the same rights around here so if a thousand people want to post on fantasy car then there aint much to do about it. there doesnt seem to be many f1 fans here - more f1 game fans.

i'll take 'D. Somewhat or entirely disagree' with Max's comments about reproducing. my aim is to reproduce the entire thing called f1 for gp4. making an old car doesnt show any less imagination or creativity compared to a fantasy car. i'm quite sick of fantasy cars and too many people grab a template throw brandsofthewrold.com at it and see what happens. at least with reprducing old stuff you have a clear goal to work towards and the satisfaction when you get there (or close enough :P) is more than i ever got with fantasy cars - i do still highly value my 4th place in the orignal quest though ;)

but its not all bad Max as i completely agree with you about waking up without my penis :( - i did actually have that dream once and it wasnt so bad :P

ps. dont like either car sorry and cant provide constructive criticism apart from its not hard to learn mapping, modelling and advanced painting techniques :)

____
Tony

Date: January 23, 2005 03:54PM
that's your right if you don't like it :-)

But I think we should show respect to everybody, ok? I can't help it if I can't map or shape...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy