MS Sidewinder Wheel Setup, help needed

Posted by AliMurray 
MS Sidewinder Wheel Setup, help needed
Date: November 30, 2004 01:00PM
Posted by: AliMurray
Hi People.

Just got a new PC (AMD FX55 with 1GB RAM and ATi Radeon X800, very nice too!!)

I've been busy copying all my old games over and managed to get GP4 up and running on the 9.6 patch with a frame rate of 60 fps with everything on, which is nice.

However, I am struggling with the wheel setup - have got the basics there with the wheel working on the X/Y axes only, but still not how I want it.

I need to get the accelerator and brake onto different axes, but can't remember whether this is done in the game or in the sidewinder control panel, or a bit of both.

Trouble is, I am not sure whether I need the sidewinder control panel under XP or not - there doesn't seem to be a version available to download for XP, the logic seemingly that XP has the drivers built in, but there is no option to separate the axes on the standard game controllers section on control panel.

Another frustration is the gear change, only offering me space shift and buttons 1 and 2, when I need 7 and 8.

I remember overcoming all this before but the user interface is just horrible and it is driving me potty. I have searched on the forum but got so many hits I couldn't see the info I needed.

If anyone can give me a short summary of what i need to do, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Ali
Re: MS Sidewinder Wheel Setup, help needed
Date: November 30, 2004 02:10PM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
Goto control panel/game devices. Then select the wheel, click properties adn the setting will be in there.

In GP4, when you select your controller type, you have to tell it to use custom type adn then a wheel.

I can't remember all the exact steps but I know I posted here yrs ago about it.

basically you have to remove the KB as the controller, add the custom one, with wheel and then configure it and then you wil be able to select button 7 and 8. If you want to wait till I get home tonight, I can post the way to do it.

I'm at work now (all alone) since G W Bush is visiting today and I volunteered to come in.

Date: November 30, 2004 10:42PM
Posted by: smorr
i have tried many times, same wheel. it calibrates but the menus just jump around, you have no choice for selection unless you hold the gas half down. needless to seay i gave up.
Date: December 01, 2004 02:33PM
Ok, I forgot to do it last night. I have the same wheel and it works fnie. I'll make up a little guide with screenshots and will email you both.
Date: December 01, 2004 04:56PM
Posted by: Willb
I have MS Sidewinder Force feedback and everythings fine :S
Date: December 01, 2004 11:46PM
Ok, I have pics of my setup, email me and I'll send it to you. post your email here

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2004 12:13PM by CDN_Merlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy