driving in the rain

Posted by smorr 
driving in the rain
Date: November 26, 2004 05:21PM
Posted by: smorr
lately i have noticed a lot of people saying the rain is to hard. so lets make a wet weather driving guide.

1.make sure you are on wet or intermediates.

2.use traction control. if schmacher gets it so do you.

3.drive smooth.

4.make sure you get good enough fps

5.do NOT drive your normal dry line. your turn ins will be slightly earlier. apex will stay the same. acceleration points will be slightly later.

those are 5 starter points. Hopefully more to come.
Re: driving in the rain
Date: November 26, 2004 05:27PM
Posted by: Willb
Hey Great idea starting this thread.

Also don't forget more front wing!
Date: November 26, 2004 06:51PM
more.

longer and softer braking.

if the car slides let it go in a chicane, but in a high speed corner use a little oppisite lock.

try to keep the car inline.

Practice at a easy track, i prefer canada, as i know that track fairly well.

do some practice laps with TC off, if you survive and dont spin you are half way there.

All this assumes you dont use stability control, i dont know much about stability control because i dont use it :D

more to come later
Date: November 26, 2004 07:35PM
Posted by: NickKK
You can afford softer springs and lower rideheight which is a big plus on bumpy tracks. Also have slightly shorter gear ratios since you brake earlier and reach smaller top speeds.

Date: November 26, 2004 07:41PM
Posted by: anze89
and when you think that you're driving good then experiment with your breaking and you will found out that if you break hard and turn at the same time that you'll be ''throwen'' into the corner and you will be able to get some good times.

Date: November 27, 2004 01:47PM
Posted by: jpmfan
My Tactic although i usually race at Suzuka is use dry set up just put on wet or inters, never monsoon, keep normal line, just drive like it is dry although break abit earlier. Although i do enjoy keeping the car on the edge.
Also i found that look at the weather screen and if it will stop raining soon and its half full (or half empty) on the water gauge then possible use dry tryes because when there is a dry line you will fly and the CPU cars go backwards.
thats my tactics
Date: November 27, 2004 03:20PM
Posted by: raztahz
never works for me i hate driving in the rain you can't be competitive when your cautious especially when it suddenly rains and you don't have a wet setup
Date: November 27, 2004 05:01PM
Posted by: harjinator
I've noticed, if it starts raining, the CPU-controlled cars continue with drys and don't slow down. I tried it once, and slid into a Minardi as my position went backwards.

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: November 27, 2004 05:18PM
Posted by: rocker
I use monsoon tyres when it's raining a lot and all the track is like a mirror, if there are some parts that you don't see the reflex than you should go for wet tyres. I rarelly use intrmed tyres.
Last week I was racing at Melbourne and it was raining all the race, after my second and last pitstop the track conditions were getting worst and I think the ideal tyres for that situation was monsoo tyres, but I was with hard wet tyres my gap to Montoya was 50 seconds and in the end it was 3 seconds, I really enjoyed that race I love the way condittions change at GP4 (in GP3 it happend also). The las 1/3 fo the race was totally diferent os the first 2/3 and I lost all my concentration so I was making a lot of mistakes (I didn't went of the track but I was missing the braking point, loosing the rear of my car in the exits of the corners and had to correct it, I was really fighting with my car).

My advice to race in this conditions is break really soft and long and when I accelerate on the exits of the corners I go to one gear higher than I should be so the car don't loose it's rear it works even when you started with a dry setup.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also when driving in the rain don't forget to bring an extra towell.

Do you want to get high?? (hehehe... I love tha Towelly episode in South Park)

--------------------------------------------
Rocker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2004 05:21PM by rocker.
Date: December 03, 2004 02:43AM
you very rarely need wets in GP4. it is often monsoon or intermediates weather. It is often a matter of what you can control, if it is drying you can get away with intermediates, but not wets. Once you see a dry line get your slicks. make sure you stay on that line though.
Date: October 01, 2005 05:02PM
Posted by: Lemming
i always make sure i have much more rear wing than front or i get a silly amount of oversteer. or if i forget to make changes, i just run into someone and lose my front wing! at least then i won't spin on the straights!

but i never bother setting my car up usually, as you can probably tell. i just wanna race the thing!

is there a way to control what the weather will do? like tell it to rain on lap 10 or something...?

Date: October 01, 2005 05:09PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
I just flip the wings around, so for example in montreal, I would normally run say 4 on the rear wing and 5 or 6 in the front, but in the wet, I put 5 on rear wing and 4 on the front. That gives you ridiculous amounts of grip if the springs are on 1400 / 1000 and then ar bars are at 3000 / 300 with the default ride height at 0 front and back on the fast bump and fast rebound.

And put the brake balance near the back as well, helps stabilise the car I find :)
Date: October 01, 2005 08:17PM
Posted by: JPM2002
@ NickKK, it's better to use higher ridehight because of the higher risk of aquaplanning if the track is wet... But That's maybe only in real life

Greetz
Date: August 08, 2006 11:39AM
Posted by: RRoobbiinn
Is it possible to change the compound of tyre in the middle of the race when it starts raining?
Date: August 08, 2006 12:31PM
Posted by: Floris_Koop_GP4Freak
ok, WET rubber = No grip
So, drive other lines.

BrakingZones are slippery, so when the racingline ISN'T more dry, take the line as in '1'

'2' - Rubber is no grip, so.. Avoid it. And get a straighter accaleration line, for more speed on the upcoming straight :)

'3' Avoid any rubber

Wrks for me :)
I drive these lines when I am karting, and I'm quicker then you think ;)

Date: August 08, 2006 01:33PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Wet races are easy .When it's heavy monsoon race I'm always 2-3 seconds faster than computer cars maybe the reason is that they dont use monsoon tyres? Good way to check what tyres to select is like said earlier tarmac reflections if tarmac looks like mirror select monsoon tyres.
Date: August 08, 2006 02:24PM
Posted by: IL Dottore
@ floris. in the second one thats exactly what alonso did when he passed schumi..

Magic Senna
Date: August 08, 2006 04:02PM
Posted by: Senna
Good advices, I might want to test some of them!

When I am racing at Hockenheim under wet weather I have something strange that I still couldnt figure out what it is: I am going through the long straight after exiting the pits, and when the car is reaching higher speeds, it is on the right side of the track and I want to go to the left side. That said, when I move to the left I need as usual to make a small correction to make the car run on the straight line or i'll go off track to the left, yeah? When I try it no matter if I move it slowly or a small movement to the right, the car moves back to the right side of the track, then I try to correct it several times before it spins out of the track and CRASH! Man, it really has a very high sensitivity only on this sector, the rest of the track the car works reasonably well, I have tried a lot of wet setups!!

And it also happens in dry conditions at Montreal, through the back straight before the pits... so far these tracks are the only ones where I had that problem... so I think that it has to do with the setup or specific track grip... How can I solve this problem?

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: August 08, 2006 04:58PM
Posted by: anze89
@Senna: I never had this kind of problems, does it happen with not-edited GP4 too?

Date: August 08, 2006 05:00PM
Posted by: keiran
@Floris_Koop_GP4Freak

As far as I'm aware rubber build up is not simulated in GP4 so technically you are slowing yourself down by doing that. The way GP4 works I've always found it to be quicker to keep the racing line.

vMax.Keiran
Velocity Maximum Simulation Racing
www.vMaxSR.com
www.liveforspeed.net LFS Status:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy