Would Geoff Know?

Posted by bones1834 
Would Geoff Know?
Date: October 29, 2004 05:31AM
Posted by: bones1834
I understand that the track editing in Gp4 is darn near impossible. Not taking away from anyone trying to achieve it. Would Mr. Crammond himself be the only one who could do it? Has anyone tried emailing him on the subject? I realise his Grand Prix game days are over, now that it's Sony exclusive.

Just curious. I wonder if he knows the loyal fan base his games have and how great the updates, utilities, editors, etc... have been made for it?
Re: Would Geoff Know?
Date: October 29, 2004 06:00AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I think that since Geoff is a public figure, and involved to game programming and companies, it would be illegal for him to develop something to have his old game to compete with new, currently licensed ones.
Date: October 29, 2004 06:03AM
Yes, but we wouldn't tell anyone, would we? LOL!
Date: October 29, 2004 06:43AM
Posted by: Dahie
I don't think Crammond was much involved in trackediting so he wouldn't know either. All graphics were done by simergy, which worked quite independent from Crammond. There once was contact with Nick Court and he didn't know anything about trackediting either.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: October 29, 2004 07:14AM
Posted by: b-tone
the only real thing stopping track editing development is the lack of testers.

a while ago i modified montreal to 1988 style, and had no major problems. i guess it would be easy(ish) to do a new france layout, maybe even nurburg or hockenheim too ??
there just needs to be some testers to find bugs, and help advance 3D Editor - we can't expect Lo2k to do it all ;)

____
Tony

Date: October 29, 2004 10:24AM
Posted by: chet
Hey i tested it! ;)

and it worked :)

All cc cars followed the line, non crashed (well i crashed), coz i wasnt expecting it :)

But year it worked :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 29, 2004 11:45AM
Posted by: F1Crazy
the only real thing stopping track editing development is the lack of testers.

a while ago i modified montreal to 1988 style, and had no major problems. i guess it would be easy(ish) to do a new france layout, maybe even nurburg or hockenheim too ??
there just needs to be some testers to find bugs, and help advance 3D Editor - we can't expect Lo2k to do it all

Agreed.

There needs to be a site where teh latest developments are laid out and L02k can launch beta files so people can try them and give feedback.

Date: October 29, 2004 11:58AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Some section of my forum is devoted to this usage even if I don't release beta most of the time because I prefer releasing 3DEditor for everyone to try it. (In a way, 3DEditor is always in a beta state).

You can access my forum through this link.

Date: October 29, 2004 12:40PM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
If Mr lo2k would release the source code i could see what i can do :P

But people are saying they can edit the cc line without it crashing? So it works for some and not others? Im lost.
Date: October 29, 2004 01:04PM
it works for all who try ;)

short:
cc line made of many segments (100+) and has a start point that can't change.
then editing segment 2 has afect on all subsequent segments.
so editing the last few segments (like new france or spa) is easy and should work.
crashes only happen if you do something wrong ;)

____
Tony

Date: October 29, 2004 01:24PM
Posted by: Korn_Freak
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that since Geoff is a public figure, and
> involved to game programming and companies, it
> would be illegal for him to develop something to
> have his old game to compete with new, currently
> licensed ones.

not really, i know of a game, (street Legal Redline) where the makers of the game kept releasing patches, BUT with the public helping them do it.

Date: October 29, 2004 01:34PM
Posted by: vesuvius
It would be great if someone could do new tracks like France, Spa ,nurburgring or Hockenheim.
Date: October 29, 2004 02:06PM
Posted by: Vader
Geoff Crammond has said time and again how much he disapproves of people modding his game. Why should he support us?

There are so many people involved in making games these days that nobody knows all parts of the code, not even Geoff. Maybe we should look for someone else to help us, not Mr. Crammond.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 29, 2004 03:55PM
Posted by: Sauber89
i bet if u started a thread saying "track editing acomplished beta hockenhiem" the people willing to test it would be in the thousands all you have to do is ask them to do certain things report back and hey presto track enditing takes a bold new step into the unknown ....kinda

Date: October 29, 2004 04:37PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Korn_Freak Wrote:
> Guimengo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think that since Geoff is a public figure,
> and
> > involved to game programming and companies,
> it
> > would be illegal for him to develop something
> to
> > have his old game to compete with new,
> currently
> > licensed ones.
>
> not really, i know of a game, (street Legal
> Redline) where the makers of the game kept
> releasing patches, BUT with the public helping
> them do it.
>
>

Street Racing isn't legal and isn't Formula 1, a bit different subject Neil :p.
And about the original point, it goes back to what Vader said, "he doesn't like people modding his games."
Date: October 29, 2004 04:42PM
I didn't even realise we where that close. It really is the major reason why so many have turned to the inferior EA F1 sims. The major reason I love Gp4 is because the track detail is amazing and edited tracks would just push it over the top. Fingers are crossed.
Date: October 29, 2004 05:12PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
What I would like better is when the release the 94 mod or others etc, release old tracks too :)

For example, old monza, old pitlane in brazil, adelaide, pacifc (iirc about whihc track this was i liked it in a crazy way), jerez, possibley magny cour was lsightly different then?, old Imola, erm... digs out manual, estoril, erm is barcelona in gp4? can't remember but that too, and also any other changes to other cirucits that there have been.

So, new circuits: Pacific, Jerez, Estoril, Adelaide

Definate need to change ciruits: Interlagos, Imola, Monza

and then any other circuit changes that there have been that I can't remember :)

having the 1994 season will take me back to the fun times of gp2 ;) :)

Oh yes, and you're only allowed traction control driving aid in the Bennetons ;)

The only problem will be with the lack of being able to add extra teams to gp4 - but that is a minor quibble compared to having the tracks :)

Is gp4 editeable so you can have both a Friday and Saturday qualifying session like in 1994? hmm dunno about that. Well even still, keep up the good work people (that Jordan esp is looking nice :)) BTW, I always remember green Larrosses from gp2 - I take it that was wrong :D

H E L L O
Date: October 29, 2004 05:34PM
Posted by: andrew_S
F1Crazy Wrote:
> the only real thing stopping track editing
> development is the lack of testers.
>
> a while ago i modified montreal to 1988 style, and
> had no major problems. i guess it would be
> easy(ish) to do a new france layout, maybe even
> nurburg or hockenheim too ??
> there just needs to be some testers to find bugs,
> and help advance 3D Editor - we can't expect Lo2k
> to do it all
>
> Agreed.
>
> There needs to be a site where teh latest
> developments are laid out and L02k can launch beta
> files so people can try them and give feedback.
>
>

It was called the track editing information centre, iirc, and the track editing forum, site by adie walti, and this was the base for as many years as i can remember through GP2-3, but when 4 came along it obviously got a slightly different fan base or something, and it appears to have died a slow, death, great shame, as that really was the hub of GPX editing.

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: October 29, 2004 06:02PM
Posted by: Wirah
@Daniel: Wasn't GP2 1995?

Date: October 29, 2004 06:12PM
i bet if u started a thread saying "track editing acomplished beta hockenhiem" the people willing to test it would be in the thousands all you have to do is ask them to do certain things report back and hey presto track enditing takes a bold new step into the unknown ....kinda

its not gettinng tracks tested, but getting them made that is the problem.
i spent a few hours on canada and imagine it wouldn't take too long to do france, spa, etc. its jsut that no one is doing it.

i also modded hungary to either 2004 or 1988 spec which was pretty easy. the problem is that once you start moving the cc line it might not lineup in 3d editor with the rest of the track, meaning it appears to go where it doesn't.
but if people get in and do something, and report to Lo2k then he may be able to use the info to improve the tools.
also if 20 people suddenly start editing cc lines, then maybe he'll be inspired to work more on it ;)

____
Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy