Ferrari 2004 wip

Posted by bojan_tarticchio 
Re: Ferrari 2004 wip
Date: September 29, 2004 08:16AM
Posted by: jawwad01
Bojan this is amazing....outstanding......from external view the shape Rocks.
Date: September 29, 2004 08:55AM
Posted by: bojan_tarticchio
does this come with the Monza Downforce?
and is the NT shape different to the other shapes?

We'll release several versions to cover every version after Ferrari got rid of grills; that means low downforce car, high downforce, NT and "normal" version. Differences in shape are 2 or 3 front wing plates, one or two missing chimneys and inclination of rear wing plates. NT textures are already finished, you could see a screenshot few pages ago, and I believe Nicola already finished 3 plate front wing, so all versions will follow soon one after another.

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Date: September 29, 2004 02:09PM
Posted by: Buzz Hornet
Sounds excellent Bojan, looking forward to the release

Date: September 29, 2004 09:02PM
Posted by: bigj
Re: Fish Eye.

A fish eye lense can make straight edges appear curved. So, if T-Cam in real life uses fish eye lenses then that would account for why real life versus GP4 T-Cam views differ even though the car model is accurate.

There is no way to make straight edges (of triangles) project with curvature with current 3D HW and/or APIs. Only the verts are projected - so even using a vertex shader to emulate a fish eye lense, we still end up with straight edges between the verts.

Nice car by the way!

BigJ - GP4 Graphics Engine Programmer ;)

Date: September 29, 2004 09:09PM
Posted by: vesuvius
BigJ - GP4 Graphics Engine Programmer

WHO are you???
Date: September 29, 2004 09:15PM
Posted by: ralphi
he's BigJ a GP4 Graphics Engine Programmer.. ;)

Date: September 29, 2004 09:26PM
Posted by: danm
who loves cameras and glass products by the sounds

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 29, 2004 09:32PM
Posted by: vesuvius
So he is JASON:

Taken from grandprixgames.com:

Jason is the programmer responsible for a lot of the 3d game engine on the PC and XBOX. He's a veteran programmer with several major titles behind him. When not shackled to his desk, he occasionally escapes from the office to go surfing, but doesn't really enjoy the outside world as he claims the lighting looks a bit fake and the frame rate could be higher.

JASON could you give us a TRACK EDITOR ?
Date: September 29, 2004 09:45PM
Posted by: Briere
jawwad01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bojan this is amazing....outstanding......from
> external view the shape Rocks.

aaargh, I really dont like reading such a thing :|

Bojan is the texturer but THE SHAPE HAS BEEN MADE BY NICOLA ACCIARRI AND MATT SHCROEDER.

oh, great car guys ;)
Date: September 29, 2004 11:37PM
Posted by: Muks_C
doesn't really enjoy the outside world as he claims the lighting looks a bit fake and the frame rate could be higher.

LOL!!!!!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 30, 2004 12:25AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Nice to see you again BigJ :)

Hmm, maybe a trick like Heat Haze bump mapping applied to the whole screen using a simple spherical bump would be able to do the trick, no ? (something like spherized Photoshop filter)
Maybe would it be too far pixellized/blurred/stretched on edges I assume.

Doom3 heat haze is pretty nice too but I guess it's a shader and you told it wasn't used for it...without saying GP4 engine should have never been planned to use advanced shaders I suppose.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2004 12:42AM by Lo2k.
Date: September 30, 2004 09:49AM
Posted by: bigj
> applied to the whole screen using a simple spherical bump

Yes - you could post-process; ie. render the scene to an offscreen rendertarget and then use that as a texture, using a bumpmap or pixelshader to lookup spherical coords. But as you say the sampling would be weird - not sure how filtering would work out. I'm sure it's been done at least as a tech sample.

GP4 is DX8.1 level - all fixed function limited to dual texture - except for blur effects (track reflections, dynamic car shadows) where all available texture units are used to minimise passes.

Date: September 30, 2004 02:15PM
Posted by: Lo2k
OK, Thanks for all these technical details :)

Anyhow, coming back to actual GP4 T-Cam settings, I think effect could be closer to reality just tweaking a bit camera depth of field (GP4Tweaker can edit it).

Display won't be rounded as it should with a real lens but global perspective would be closer to what a fish-eye lens could give (especially for tyres).

Date: October 03, 2004 09:47PM
After a small delay because of reshaping some parts, including nose for tcam view, we're back in business. This is how it looks now; Nicola did some pretty accurate mesurments and the shape is very close to real; there's still a small difference from real Tcam view, but that must be because of fish eye effect.
Give us fer more days for lower lods, and the car will be online, as seen on Chinese GP.
Another news is that this car will be released as auto-installer file.

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Date: October 03, 2004 09:49PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Brilliant. Will it also come in a rar file for manual install?
Date: October 03, 2004 10:49PM
Posted by: Wirah
Looks superb :P

Date: October 03, 2004 11:10PM
Posted by: Hal
Great - can't wait!
Date: October 03, 2004 11:40PM
@ MarcLister
Installer first extract to temporary folder, so you can stop right there and proceed manually.

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Date: October 04, 2004 06:30AM
Posted by: mckey415
i think it'll be good idea to add a wad file selection feature to autoinstaller. since many of us using csm it's becoming very usefull. as i remember Enzo's cars are realeased as an autoinstaller too but without this feature - and it's not good. surely, it's not too complex for me to extract all files and install in manually, but it'll be much better to have wad file selection feature.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F1 A.D.: 1993-1996 - Future in the past
[f1ad.narod.ru]

1994 Mod Official Website
[grandprixx.com]
Date: October 04, 2004 08:42AM
OK, let's note this to Lo2k...

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy